Bogger Cleaning Question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2003, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7952
Bogger Cleaning Question

So do I use STP's one shot tire clean or.....

I am gabbing with Station right now and he and I are figuring some number for wheelspeed, rpm, gearing. We have figured the wheelspeed of a 44 inch bogger to be 20.5 mph at 4k rpm.

Is 20.5 mph enough wheelspeed to get a 44 inch bogger to clean in most mud situations?

I know there are variables such as mud type.....water on top....and most likely a bunch of shiat I have not considered....Feel free to shed some light onto other factors as well.

And for you Rock Guys....I am asking this question to figure out my gearing combo's so that I can still ensure low enough gearing to make high traction environments enjoyable.
Thrashed ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
nice roach.

Member # 3377
Re: Bogger Cleaning Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrashed ZJ
So do I use STP's one shot tire clean or.....

I am gabbing with Station right now and he and I are figuring some number for wheelspeed, rpm, gearing. We have figured the wheelspeed of a 44 inch bogger to be 20.5 mph at 4k rpm.

Is 20.5 mph enough wheelspeed to get a 44 inch bogger to clean in most mud situations?

I know there are variables such as mud type.....water on top....and most likely a bunch of shiat I have not considered....Feel free to shed some light onto other factors as well.

It may be enough to get it clean but the problem arises that you must possess enough power to maintain that wheelspeed, which can be tricky if the mud gets deeper or thicker.......

Im sure that tex will have some input on this as well......

wear life like a loose garment

84 Toy Farm Beater
88 4Runner Beach Ride
11 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2003, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5776
20 MPH sounds kind of like what I can get out of my 38s with a Toy 4 Banger.

You should try to quadruple that.
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2003, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7952
Sorry calculations were slightly off.

22.8 mph @ 4k and 44's
Old 08-19-2003, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Send a message via Yahoo to Proeliator
I would think that would be enough wheel speed to clean a bogger, with the exception being some really nasty high clay content stuff. That seems to stick like glue. Jhama hit the nail on the head though. I'm running close to 600 hp and I barely have enough power to spin my 44" boggers clean in really thick nasty mud. Often times a smaller or less aggresive tire is the ticket unless you can really make a bogger work.
Proeliator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 19952
cut all the small lugs off with a sawzall and the will clean themselves at 10 mph

"It is better to remain silent and have someone assume your ignorant than for you to open your mouth and confirm you are ignorant" -my Boss....
Rockwell Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 18910
My experience with 44" boggers is that they can eat as much HP as you can feed them. 600 hp is not nearly enough

But is there really a cleaning speed? I mean, the more they rotate, the better they float and the better they clean. I think 25 mph would be a bit low velocity. But then again, im just reffering to swedish bogs. I would rather have 35" cut boggers running 40 mph than uncut 44" at 20 mph. But I guess weight plays a role too.
Starslope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3864
Send a message via AIM to WOLF359
I have NO IDEA at what "mph" my Boggers clean.... I guess when forward progress stops, they're not moving fast enough, until then, they are working.

How do you figure this out, and what possible good is the "answer" you come up with in real world trail use?
WOLF359 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 18798
I've never been brave enough to stick my head out and look!! That wheel speed sound to slow to really work in the mud.
ZUKROVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
I never had a problem here in TN mud with my 22RE not having enough "uumph" to clean out my 35" boggers...

>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 04:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 15538
Quote:
Originally posted by ZUKROVER
I've never been brave enough to stick my head out and look!! That wheel speed sound to slow to really work in the mud.
got my bro-n-law with my TSL's sticking his head out good thing it was all mudd and now rocks in the mix ......

about a month later I got my dad too he was like your gonna get stuck ..was in 2whl drive I said no I'm not about the time he stuck his head out I got silly with the skinny pedal didn't get stuck dad was none too happy about the mud in the face though

both time I said when ya got lugs bigger than your fist under ya and you are in mud don't look out

thread hi-jack over with now

if you loose forward momentum it doesn't matter how clean they are boggers or not
das_jeepinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 06:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 1994
boggers clean out sitting still

Peace
Jw
Old 08-19-2003, 06:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 12247
Quote:
Originally posted by Starslope
My experience with 44" boggers is that they can eat as much HP as you can feed them. 600 hp is not nearly enough

600hp is no where near enough for these meats. 800hp will let you blister them like no tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11484
Tim, 30 seconds of math shows you were doing 25mph if you hit 5400 RPM here, and stayed in first gear and only had the 205 in low for reduction. The tires stayed very clean in this video as you can see.

Being able to work out mathematicly what your ideal tire speed would be in adverse conditions is one thing, but being able to spin 4, 44" boggers at 20-25mph while hub deep in sh!t is another thing. JP's got a near stock 454 in his blazer and as you can see, had a hard time building tire speed with the same tires. You can hear tim's 502 really working. The hardest part is keeping the engine in the power band... Boggers have a way of cleaning themselves at very low RPM.

Video here: http://www.cdmedia-studio.com/timsbigrun.avi
MR4WD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 07:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2082
Send a message via AIM to TPIJeep
Quote:
Originally posted by MR4WD

Video here: http://www.cdmedia-studio.com/timsbigrun.avi
Umm.. I need the codec for that video, Windows Media Player can't find it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Southern Motor Sports
Ruston, Louisiana
TPIJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 11:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Gee, I sense sarcasm (gasp, on Pirate, tell me it 'taint so), but those of you not running at my level of horsepower (i.e. most of you ) need to know I ain't joshing. 44" Boggers EAT horsepower, and while I can light them up on the street (always a wise move with tires this $$$) thick ass mud soaks up ever single one of my ponies that I feed it. Can't tell you how many guys I spanked in the mud drags this season cuz they slapped on big boggers and found out the hard way they couldn't motorvate them at depth properly. My .02. Learn from this wisdom grasshoppers
Old 08-19-2003, 11:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 3906
Send a message via AIM to Jeepmangled87
just floor it.
Jeepmangled87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 11:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 15842
If your boggers are spinning does it matter how fast you are moving.

You can clean out boggers and creep along.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 5776
Quote:
Originally posted by DRM
I never had a problem here in TN mud with my 22RE not having enough "uumph" to clean out my 35" boggers...
Come ride in Memphis right after a good bit of rain. Seriously. That'll fix your wagon.
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2003, 09:39 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 717
Send a message via ICQ to Desert Jeepin Send a message via AIM to Desert Jeepin Send a message via Yahoo to Desert Jeepin
Quote:
Originally posted by TravisSSII

I'm not sure that he means literally "20mph". Iwould venture to guess that 20mph is a referance to tire rotational speed, not vehicle speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spotter, Team Raffle F-Toy, #50.

Quote:
wait... hold the homophone... you're ghey?
Desert Jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2003, 09:51 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 12247
Quote:

Deep , bottomless mud will not let you creep along. Theres alot of nasty mud trails up here that'll swallow you whole. No hp = no go. Ive heard alot of people here say "just crawl thru" not the case.

Last edited by MuddMachine; 08-20-2003 at 09:53 AM.
MuddMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2003, 10:46 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 18910
Quote:

Umm yea well if your vehicle is cruising 20 mph you're not having any problem with mud now have ya? I was referring to wheelspeed, not the actual speed of the vehicle. And creeping along is not nearly always the case. The swedish bogs have layer after layer of moss. Reaching the bottom is never a possibility. You gotta have good flotation, alot of WHEELspeed, as well as a healthy amount of momentum from the start. The main ingrediens in this recipy is horsepower.

Do boggers have a tendency to clean at slow speed to? I sure haven't noticed. Mine look like slicks
Starslope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2003, 11:12 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Quote:
Originally posted by MuddMachine

Deep , bottomless mud will not let you creep along. Theres alot of nasty mud trails up here that'll swallow you whole. No hp = no go. Ive heard alot of people here say "just crawl thru" not the case.
Ain't that the truth. Those same people are usually soon hip waist in mud attaching a snatch strap to their rig. Some sections demand technical crawl, some gooey depths demand getting silly with the skinny pedal and high velocity. Thats why you gotta know how to drive. Oh, and the 22re squirrels are great for rocks, but in the pits we got out here you'd end up with a big paperweight. Then again, my truck blows on steep technical rocks so I won't get to cocky...
Old 08-20-2003, 12:22 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 7952
Thanks for some bits of info.

Some of you don't understand what I am saying and that is ok. I am not concerned with HP at this point. Engine will be geared to run at 4k and that is what I figured the 20-25mph speed with.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any exp with speeds like this. Some did MR4WD. Thank you for your help. The rest.....well you need to learn to read a bit better and maybe...just maybe you will comprehend a question....
Old 08-20-2003, 03:49 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Look you phreaking, cock-gobbling, hoser, in my first post I answered your question with a clear "yes". I, and many others were merely trying to help out an ignorant newbie with some extra information so you COULD spin your tires up to 25mph. I don't care if you gear it up to 6.17, if you don't have the motor you don't have forward momentum. And yea, I see you've been a member longer than me and I'm "sure" been wheeling since 1949, blah, blah blah. Busting your chops comes with the title. Flame off

Last edited by Proeliator; 08-20-2003 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in