38.5X15 bogger - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2003, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
38.5X15 bogger

Finally got to see the new 15-wide 38.5 Bogger today. Not bad. No measurements or pictures, but they were mounted on 15X8 beadlocks on the rear of a Jeep shod with 38.5X11's up front.

Here's what I see. From all appearances, they look to be as deep as the 38.5X11's. VERY VERY good news here as those are currently the deepest tires you can get from Interco. The tread blocks are a little larger resulting in fewer lugs overall (counted 14 sets of bigs, littles, & mediums where the 38.5X11 has 15 or 16 sets - tough to tell as I was counting on a muddy tire). Looked a little narrow for a "15 wide", but that may have just been due to the narrow rims. Looked to be about the same diameter as the 38.5X11's also.

On the whole, I'd call it a pretty good split between the 37" & 39.5" sizes. I'll bring my camera to the next race

TEX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Extreme Performance

Bear Creek Auto Recyclers

TEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2003, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 22380
I cant wait, Those might be my next new set of tires???
Wideopen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2003, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5776
Screw IROKs, gimme a cut set of these.

Around memphis, at least. I'll keep the SXs for rocky stuff

If you own boggers, and see mud, and you still have the little lugs in the rear tires, you don't know WHAT you're missing.
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2003, 11:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally posted by TNToy
If you own boggers, and see mud, and you still have the little lugs in the rear tires, you don't know WHAT you're missing.
No, if you haven't cut them to the core & reshaped them, you don't know what you're missing

PROPERLY cut Boggers will have much more than just the little lugs removed. A 39.5" Bogger loses right at FIFTY POUNDS when cut for competition. Depth is right at 1.5" Deep for cut 44's, not sure for 39.5's & 38.5's. Watched a guy take off from a dead stop in a foot of slop today running cut 39.5's on the rear of a 4,700lb Blazer & he pulled the frontend 3' in the air. Couldn't have done that w/o cuts (the 555" Reher-Morrison & big blue bottle didn't hurt either ).

TEX

Thanks to:

Extreme Performance

Old 09-14-2003, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13381
Send a message via Yahoo to KidJethro
I don't mean hi-jack..

But I've always wondered why Interco hasn't made a Bogger to fill the gap between the 39.5's and the 44's. I'd be all over a set of 42" Boggers.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 12429
So uh... is this mud crawling or we still into rocks over here
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2003, 12:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3906
Send a message via AIM to Jeepmangled87
cool pics of boggers.
Jeepmangled87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2003, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally posted by Todd W
So uh... is this mud crawling or we still into rocks over here
Crawling? Crawling is a slow sport for slow people

TEX

Thanks to:

Extreme Performance

Old 09-14-2003, 11:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 19204
After the SOA, my 35s are lookin pretty puny.....I'm thinking some 39x15 boggers would be right nice.......
......now how to get the GF to understand that they really are neccassary

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott *TEX* Graham

Crawling? Crawling is a slow sport for slow people

TEX
ROFL

Looking foward to the 3rd Tex

Last edited by eDaddi; 09-14-2003 at 11:47 PM.
eDaddi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2003, 12:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 5776
Quote:
No, if you haven't cut them to the core & reshaped them, you don't know what you're missing.
A lot of flat tires, if that mud is on a stick/stump/sharp object ridden trail.

I love the look, and they're GREAT for mud comps, but not exactly practical on any trail.
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2003, 01:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 9801
Mud Crawling is fun, but some times it just doesnt work out so well.

What I want to know is when Interco is going to make the 49" Bogger.
Attached Images

Last edited by bgreen; 09-15-2003 at 02:00 AM.
bgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2003, 02:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 22380
I recently saw, A truck wheelin with cut boggers, And holy ish..
They are badass...

Just have to have the power to spin'em in the mud, They will make alot of shit bog that wouldn't normally... But you know what that means...

Btw, does anybody know how much life span cutting them will take out of them?? I was thinkin roughly half??(Only half the rubber??)
Wideopen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2003, 07:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 6069
A friend of mine has the only set of these on the east coast. I compared the tread pattern to his spare (37x13x15 Bogger). Visually, the lugs appear closer together with less voids. The lugs also have the squiggly siping (like the IROK's and not like the SSR's). He was running the 39 IROK's before this tire (and after his 37 boggers). He has not had a chance to wheel these new boggers yet, but I think he missed the tread depth on the IROK's on our New England terain.

If you want more information, he works here: http://www.elias4wdcenter.com/
Old 09-15-2003, 07:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
About time

I like the 39.5" bogger, but the width and weight is a deal-breaker to me.

The 38.5x15 is a pretty sweet size IMHO... Still would rather have that width on a 39.5 for the extra height, but oh well

>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2003, 08:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
nice roach.

Member # 3377
Re: 38.5X15 bogger

Quote:
Finally got to see the new 15-wide 38.5 Bogger today. Not bad. No measurements or pictures, but they were mounted on 15X8 beadlocks on the rear of a Jeep shod with 38.5X11's up front.

Here's what I see. From all appearances, they look to be as deep as the 38.5X11's. VERY VERY good news here as those are currently the deepest tires you can get from Interco. The tread blocks are a little larger resulting in fewer lugs overall (counted 14 sets of bigs, littles, & mediums where the 38.5X11 has 15 or 16 sets - tough to tell as I was counting on a muddy tire). Looked a little narrow for a "15 wide", but that may have just been due to the narrow rims. Looked to be about the same diameter as the 38.5X11's also.

On the whole, I'd call it a pretty good split between the 37" & 39.5" sizes. I'll bring my camera to the next race

TEX
Hey Scott have you seen any 35x10.5 boggers yet?

wear life like a loose garment

84 Toy Farm Beater
88 4Runner Beach Ride
11 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2003, 10:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Re: Re: 38.5X15 bogger

Quote:
Originally posted by jhama78

Hey Scott have you seen any 35x10.5 boggers yet?
Not yet

TEX

Thanks to:

Extreme Performance

Old 09-15-2003, 10:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally posted by DRM
About time

I like the 39.5" bogger, but the width and weight is a deal-breaker to me.

The 38.5x15 is a pretty sweet size IMHO... Still would rather have that width on a 39.5 for the extra height, but oh well
Yeah, I think when it's all said & done, this will end up being a really popular tire. Almost all the early Bogger sizes are WAY wide or WAY narrow. This & the 37 are the first sort of "normal" proportioned tires in the line.

TEX

Thanks to:

Extreme Performance

Old 09-15-2003, 11:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:

Yeah, I think when it's all said & done, this will end up being a really popular tire. Almost all the early Bogger sizes are WAY wide or WAY narrow. This & the 37 are the first sort of "normal" proportioned tires in the line.

TEX

Not sure if you know, but I would assume this is based off of the existing 38.5x15 TSL carcass, and is the same as shared with the 38.5 Thornbird?

>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2003, 12:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally posted by DRM

Not sure if you know, but I would assume this is based off of the existing 38.5x15 TSL carcass, and is the same as shared with the 38.5 Thornbird?
Actually, I would assume different. The 38.5 TSL is a 16 wide & from a casual glance, larger in all ways than the 38.5X15 Bogger. I had a pair of 38.5 TSL's & it took a 15" wide rim to get them down to 37" where a 38.5 Gumbo or Hawg would be about that tall on 10's. This new Bogger looks to be more in line with the Hawg or Gumbo 38.5 than with the 38.5 TSL.

TEX

Thanks to:

Extreme Performance

Old 09-17-2003, 08:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 1635
Quote:
Actually, I would assume different. The 38.5 TSL is a 16 wide & from a casual glance, larger in all ways than the 38.5X15 Bogger. I had a pair of 38.5 TSL's & it took a 15" wide rim to get them down to 37" where a 38.5 Gumbo or Hawg would be about that tall on 10's. This new Bogger looks to be more in line with the Hawg or Gumbo 38.5 than with the 38.5 TSL.

TEX
That is not good. My 38.5 1/2 tread Gumbo Mudders are 35 1/2" tall on a 10" rim with 10 psi.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 181
Quote:
Originally posted by eDaddi
...now how to get the GF to understand that they really are neccassary
LCOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2003, 01:32 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 21476
I've been waiting for these 38.5 x 15's for a year, when are they in production and on the shelves? I wanna get my bling bling YJ off of jackstands and onto the trail!
timbercrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2003, 02:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 18555
Send a message via AIM to sandusk
whats this horseshit about tim? your yj hasnt even been touched yet, and just last month you said you would never get boggers?
Old 09-18-2003, 03:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 11249
So, where are you seeing these tires wild man? Last time I talked to Interco, I got the skibby on some new sizes - but didn't hear about these till recently.

Way to spread the word - Hardcore Mudcrawling or not! No matter how we try Scott, we'll never be as cool as the Left Coasters!
MudzerK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2003, 03:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 8914
Man..I'd love to try these tires out. The height of my pizza cutters are great but they sink too easily in the deep stuff. Hoping these will be the perfect compromise between the 37 boggers I used to run and the way too wide/big 39.5s I don't wanna use.
Bald1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in