Tight fitting Dana 44 armored cover - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 208630
Tight fitting Dana 44 armored cover

Anyone have firsthand experience on which Dana 44 high pinion HD welded covers fits closest to the ring gear? I'm putting together a '77 F150 Dana 44 axle and '78 F250 outers. My F250 tie rod already has a bump out to clear the factory stamped cover. I can't seem to find and concrete info online about dimensions nor can I get any answers from the "customer support" at the mfrs. The only thing I can find touting any sort of custom fit is Ballistic Fabs cover for the JK Rubi. Jeep Rubicon Dana 44 Differential Cover I called them and still nothing more than "I think it will have the same diff flange as a Ford 44, you can send it back if it doesn't fit".
So what have the rest of you found regarding a HD Dana 44 cover that clears the tierod in the stock location? Luckily the F250 knuckles mount the tierod quite a bit higher than any other knuckles I've seen so it does help by nit being in exactly the widest part of the cover.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 94368
Not a welded cover, but the ARB cover is very close fitting. Another option would be the Warn skid, which goes over your stock cover, but stops short of the tie-rod.
[B]Jordan Townsend - JRT Off-Road Racing #4580[/B]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Great parts and support:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
JRTOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 208630
The ARB just isn't for me. I've seen the 1/2 guards that go over the lower part of the stock cover however I live on the gulfcoast and lapped steel just loves to collect salty dust/moisture and rust out. With all the nasty home grown fab I'm doing on my build the welded diff covers will "fit" the theme.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17986
The Barnett uses a stock cover. You can't get any better clearance.

Dana 44 Heavy Duty Differential Covers [BP-DT044] - $114.00 : Barnett Performance Products, Race Tested and Rock Garden Proven

Here's one on my 60.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 208630
The Barnett would be very good, however I'm not too keen about the 1/8" steel they use for the shell. I don't intend to go round bashing my axle on tree stumps and boulders but other than the double wall nature of Barnetts' cover I'd just as soon find a factory HD cover for the $$$

Last edited by twiisted71; 09-04-2014 at 01:13 PM.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 208630
This is the one I bought. If you need a tight fit to the ring gear, this is NOT the one to get!! It has a ton of space between the gear and the cover. I'll try to get a measurement tomorrow.
Rubi 44 from Ballistic

Last edited by twiisted71; 10-12-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 208630
Here's the differences between the Rubi 44 cover from Ballistic vs the stock stamped version with a typical paper type gasket.

Stock cover to ring gear is around .6"
Ballistic cover to cover is around .685"

I used Play-Do and calipers to determine this You can see the clean spot on the ring gear where the Play-do touched and removed the lube I'd sprayed on the diff to keep it from rusting while deciding on a cover.

Last edited by twiisted71; 10-26-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in