Intergrating old pre smog chassis into your tube buggys. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2003, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4099
Send a message via AIM to JEEP_TJ_FREAK Send a message via Yahoo to JEEP_TJ_FREAK
Question Intergrating old pre smog chassis into your tube buggys.

Anyone got pics?

Did you keep it an actual structural piece or just tack it on so it's there if'n they look?

I'll take any info on registering buggies/homebuilt rigs.

How many VIN tags will I need? Is the chassis alone enough or does the firewall need to be grafted in too?

Oh yeah I seached, lost of people asked few got an answer...

Oh and this should be illegal as I can assure you whatever POS I buy will have little to nothing good on it except for the general VIN plate ares, this would be a full "restore" into something "else".
Old 10-16-2003, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4001
What's the point? If it can't be street driven, then why bother trying to make it into a vehicle that you have to pay huge taxes for (At least here in Cali)... I'm going to green sticker mine and I can still get insurance for it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scout Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2003, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4099
Send a message via AIM to JEEP_TJ_FREAK Send a message via Yahoo to JEEP_TJ_FREAK
If it is legitimately tagged and insured why can't it be street driven?

Old 10-16-2003, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5842
Quote:
Originally posted by JEEP_TJ_FREAK
If it is legitimately tagged and insured why can't it be street driven?

It can be street driven, and it will be subject to all applicable laws in the Vehicle Code in relation to the VIN original date of manufacture.

Getting Street Legal Vehicle (SLV) tags is not too hard (fill a legal statement at AAA), but you will be subject to LEO hassle unless it meets the requirement of the Vehicle Code. You may need a few trips to the Highway Patrol or Sheriff, to explain it's legality, before the local LEO's get used to you (and you learn to carry the paperwork on-hand).

SEMA used to have a publication with a list of the grandfather dates (handy for hot rodders & kit car builders). Support these SEMA guys as their actions on a Congressional level will benefit off-roaders much more as the green's push to designate all dirt tracks as SLV routes of travel (what is expected if they lose the RS2477 assertion question).

In CA: Use a pre-1966 vehicle to avoid CARB emissions issues. It is true that the 25+/30-year rolling exemption applies to later model chassis's, but a newer engine transplant can be open to intrepretation (hassle).

The need for dual stop lights was mandated in 1946 (IIRC), turn signals in 1957 (IIRC), and even the need for fenders (or mud flaps) is based on a similar year of manufacture standard. A chassis VIN prior to each mandate allows exemptions to each requirement.

Some things will be mandatory: windshield wipers, horn, brake light, headlights, etc. and it's always wise to upgrade to seat belts and other safety gear.

I helped make a WWII Weasel an SLV (registered as a 1942 Studebaker), and the DMV/CHP required only one brakelight (trickey with skid steering). I had to add two rear view mirrors, a horn, headlights, motorized wipers and safety glass to the windshield, and they highly recommended seat belts (now a law). We added turn signals and dual tail/stop lights, for good measure. Until the local LEO's became used to seeing us, we used the Weasel to groom snowplay hill slopes and cross country ski trails, there were many friendly exchanges with the enforcement (including "Pull me out of this snow bank, and then show me how that thing is legal to be on this road?").

There is much advantage to obtaining a pre-WWII VIN for a building platform for a Street legal buggy chassis.

The advantage to a Street Legal Chassis is the buggy will be allowed on ALL trails in ALL States, with zero limitations respective to legal travel.

A example is most NF/BLM fireroads are technically Street Legal Only routes of travel, potentially resulting in a citation for illegal use of an OHV (CA green sticker) on these roads between designated OHV routes (if an LEO sees you, and a corresponding need for attitude correction).

Many off-road challenge routes can be intrepreted technically as Street Legal Only County Roads, where they traverse private land sections without written permission to operate an OHV from the owner. Laws change from State to State (and County) and an SLV avoids the chance of hassle.

There are laws identifying to NOT ALTER A VIN, as altering the VIN is illegal in most states. Many kit car homebuilders cut the actual frame or firewall around the VIN and then weld the surrounding metal to the chassis structure, leaving the VIN untouched.

Happy Trails!
Ed A. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2003, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9274
we have put TJ tubs, motors, just about everything in on a CJ frame and tagged it as a CJ...OK tag offices are not the smartest. what exactly are you going to do? i can talk to my buddy that built a custom hot rod and see how he got it tagged (evey thing from scratch) there are ways to do this in OK.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 5960
Send a message via Yahoo to LAME
Quote:
Originally posted by JTK
What's the point? If it can't be street driven, then why bother trying to make it into a vehicle that you have to pay huge taxes for (At least here in Cali)... I'm going to green sticker mine and I can still get insurance for it
Some events require plates and insurance. Also if you have something old enough you can get street rod, collector, etc... plates wich toss a lot of rules out the window. A real plate for my 70 pickup is ~35 a year, the collector plate might be a one time of $35. Been a while since I looked into it.
Rock Rash Racing #613, Trail Tampon Spotter
LAME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2003, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4099
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrisjeep7
we have put TJ tubs, motors, just about everything in on a CJ frame and tagged it as a CJ...OK tag offices are not the smartest. what exactly are you going to do? i can talk to my buddy that built a custom hot rod and see how he got it tagged (evey thing from scratch) there are ways to do this in OK.
Get one of these HREW tube chassis and a late model drivetrain (prolly 4.3L/4L60E/231), throw whatever pull-a-part in catoosa has to offer under it if rockwells can't be found on the cheap. I would probably have a axle/wheel/tire setup to borrow for registration before adding whatever I want in the end. To my knowledge once it is tagged and registered they really can't take it back over an axle swap.

Luckily a friend of mine owns a tag agency (the one across from your house actually) but she isn't a car buff and therefore can't answer many technical questions.

I know there is a way I just don't wanna find out it isn't my way half way through.

Also does it blatently say no tube chassis anywhere? I mean I assume that will be the coffin nail at inspection time if I claim it is a 1962 datsun 4wd or whatever even my mom knows that tube chassis aren't seen on the street often.

Putting a TJ tub on a CJ chassis IMO wouldn't even be issue for them to look, looking outside and seeing a basically full on comp buggy with lights and removable windshield is different even to dipshits. Really their lack of knowledge is my biggest concern. Just because it doesn't look normal doesn't mean it doesn't meet the code, in order for you to explain that it is up to code you need someone competent enough to understand the code.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4099
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed A. Stevens
There are laws identifying to NOT ALTER A VIN, as altering the VIN is illegal in most states. Many kit car homebuilders cut the actual frame or firewall around the VIN and then weld the surrounding metal to the chassis structure, leaving the VIN untouched.
That was the basic idea, frame and body rusted out so bad the bandaides overlapped to the point of this...
Old 10-16-2003, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 22721
Hey if you haft to drive down to Texas and get a p.o. box and register it here.You can register a homebiult buggy as dune buggy.Then you just need the basic stuff like blinkers and lights.My friend was just checking on it earlier because he lives about 8 miles from work and his wife needs the car for her job and he is going to haft to drive his buggy to work and back if he wants one.Progressive Insurance said they will insure a dune buggy.Y ou do not even need a windshield in T exas for a dune buggy to be legal just a spot big enough for the tagg's and inspection.But driving with no winshield is about as ignorant as riding a motorcycle with no helmet."TRAIL RUNNING DOES NOT COUNT"But admit it bugg's in the face suck!!!And if you are woried about passing emmisions run propane.I am renting a tank for $50 dollars a year and they will come fill it for a dollar a gallon.So I just fill up at home...This is for my local over priced foreign gas station.. .. ..
TheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2003, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 1418
I've thought about buying an old car/truck/whatever and bringing it to the DMV to get it plated and inspected while its on the trailer.

Tell them your GOING to restore it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in