TWF Hero vs Atlas - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #126 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
406 much appreciated on responding to this thread with actual tech. Anything mechanical can be broken. Any company that wants to learn where the weak links are has my respect.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I have so much more respect for vendors that don't bash other vendors products. When you have a great product, there is no need to anyway. Atlas, hero, scs, ord, twf all are bad ass cases. Each has its place.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #128 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
Would it be possible to put an ORD Magnum in front of a 3 speed Hero? That would be 6 different ratios. And about the same length as an Atlas 4 speed?
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 08:23 PM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 56430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Young View Post
Would it be possible to put an ORD Magnum in front of a 3 speed Hero? That would be 6 different ratios. And about the same length as an Atlas 4 speed?
Even if it was possible... what reason would you need for that many choices? Compounded with the gears of the transmission, you could, theoretically, have a 36 forward gears to choose from.

And..... it'd be pretty damn spendy too.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #130 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Road, fast trails, slow trails, snow, race, sand.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Quote:
Road, fast trails, slow trails, snow, race, sand.
An adjustable ratio SCS wouldn't accomplish the same thing?
SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #132 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
An adjustable ratio SCS wouldn't accomplish the same thing?
Shift on the fly vs bolt and unbolt tcase guts.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:47 PM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
All the round 6 stuff is very adaptable.

Would be nice to have in a gutless Toyota pretty sure a motor swap would be many times cheaper.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:16 PM   #134 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
I meant to ask ... Is there something different about the Magnum that makes it part of this discussion over all the other planetary range boxes of the same or similar ratios out there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

patooyee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2018, 06:13 AM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 67606
Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
I meant to ask ... Is there something different about the Magnum that makes it part of this discussion over all the other planetary range boxes of the same or similar ratios out there?
Supposedly the strongest main shaft of all the crawl boxes.
Kickin'Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAG View Post
to me it would make more sense to move high torgue to axel shafts and not to x case /driveshaft/pininon by havin 5-6 in diffs

having like ord box 2.72 in front of your case makes rest of the drive line just 2.72 times weaker

would help torgue roll too
You gotta make the gearing the most optimum where it's going to race at. 6.20's aren't quite low enough for the short course stuff. Even if it was an option pinion RPM becomes an enormous problem, slinging oil out of the bearings, bearings get hot diffs fail. Splitting the reduction over multiple spots keep any one component from spinning faster than it can take for an extended period of time. For the short course racing the 4531 car will be ran in 1.4:1 with 5.40 axle gears, aka equivalent of 7.56:1 R&P.

On my 4513 car I'm entertaining going with 1.5:1 with 5.38's which is equivalent to 8.07:1 axle gears. I've ran it in my gear calculator and both cars can definitely run the MPH we want for the duration of the event geared like that.

Quote:
It would bolt together no problem. Not sure why anyone would want that many options but you certainly could. It would be longer than an Atlas 4 speed FYI. The 3 speed hero is longer than a two speed atlas by 2 or 3 inches. I've never needed lower than a 4.3:1 low range with auto trans rigs. I have a friend with a manual trans 1 ton TJ with a 10:1 4 speed atlas that seems to like it pretty well. We have a 5.4:1 atlas 4 speed and it was all wrong for the ultra4 car, 2.0 - 2.72 - 5.4. Both low's are to low to run in as a race range, not quite low enough to be low's when needed but the 5.4 range is to low for the rocks when racing.

I think about the perfect gearing is the 1.2 to 1.4 range for the first low 3 to 4 range for the final low in conjunction with 5.38 - 5.43 diff gears.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #137 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
The 3 speed hero is longer than a two speed atlas by 2 or 3 inches.
2 Speed Atlas with a yoke measurement is 13.80".

3 Speed Hero with a flange is 12.514". I just measured the difference from flange to yoke and it is 1.25". So the 3 Speed Hero with yoke is 13.764".

Dookey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #138 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookey View Post

3 Speed Hero with a flange is 12.514". I just measured the difference from flange to yoke and it is 1.25". So the 3 Speed Hero with yoke is 13.764".
To be fair, the atlas is offered with non speedo tail housing that is 2" shorter.

It's still impressive that the hero can pack a 3rd speed and more beef in almost the same length.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #139 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookey View Post
I’ve already given my positive testimonial about your amazing product.

We had to modify the vehicle by inches in a couple places to accommodate the larger case. The rear drive shaft had to be shortened while the front remained the same. Edit to ad that, As was pointed out already, we were already running a shorty atlas that was shorter than the version you pictured.

In the grand scale of conversions I’d say it was very easy. Very worth every penny. But it does definitely take more space in 3 directions than the 2 speed race case it replaced. It does however have a slimmer center of shaft to bottom of case than an atlas.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants

Last edited by jr4x; 03-15-2018 at 10:47 AM.
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #140 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
To be fair, the atlas is offered with non speedo tail housing that is 2" shorter.

It's still impressive that the hero can pack a 3rd speed and more beef in almost the same length.
10-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
Iíve already given my positive testimonial about your amazing product.

We had to modify the vehicle by inches in a couple places to accommodate the larger case. The rear drive shaft had to be shortened while the front remained the same. Edit to ad that, As was pointed out already, we were already running a shorty atlas that was shorter than the version you pictured.

In the grand scale of conversions Iíd say it was very easy. Very worth every penny. But it does definitely take more space in 3 directions than the 2 speed race case it replaced. It does however have a slimmer center of shaft to bottom of case than an atlas.
I really like the tech you bring to the table and your desire to help others. I've followed along with you on Facebook and I wish more people were like you. I hope you didn't think I was taking a dig at you. I was hoping to search for the truth so I can help people when they call in. It has been awhile since I had my hands on an Atlas. I took my 2 speed Atlas with VSS out of my Jeep and put a 3 speed in its place and it was the same thing. I didn't realize they had a shorter non VSS version.

It is important to me to give people facts so they can figure out what is correct for them. I just don't want to tell people wrong info.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #141 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 124313
We had the short Atlas 2 speed and the new Trail Worthy Fab 3 speed case is 1-3/4 inches longer to the rear yolk and 1/4 inch longer to the front yolk with the 1350 yolks on both cases. Front driveline soaked up the 1/4 inch shorter difference but the rear was shortened 1-3/4 inches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Cyan">
color="DarkOrange">
color="Sienna">
color="LemonChiffon">
color="Red">
color="Yellow">
Shawn Rants
muddnutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #142 (permalink)

Member # 135279
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddnutt View Post
We had the short Atlas 2 speed and the new Trail Worthy Fab 3 speed case is 1-3/4 inches longer to the rear yolk and 1/4 inch longer to the front yolk with the 1350 yolks on both cases. Front driveline soaked up the 1/4 inch shorter difference but the rear was shortened 1-3/4 inches.
I had about the exact same results. I shorten my front drive shaft 1/2" and took 2" out of the rear.
shrek tits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #143 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORNFED View Post
We had to tear a friends hero apart at koh this year. It had 250 miles at fallon and maybe 30 miles prerunning koh in a 4400 rig. We ran a lap on the qualifying course and didn't see him on the second lap we ran. Hes running a coyote motor and decided to try a lap in low for more rpms and it wouldnt go. Pulled it out and tore it apart to find the fork bent. And bent it back in the vice way to easy. Welded a couple gussets on before we put it back together.
Then on race day in 4800 we were in Wrecking ball and some guys were on the Rev limiter barely moving. Talked to them real quick, same deal. Had it in low range sitting in the lineup. Tried to get it into high range pulling out to the start and no dice. Ran the whole first lap in low range. Got it into high in main pit and were never able to get back into low.
we had a hell of time with ours shifting from low-high or opposite , just recently we had the front shifter pop out of gear and something in the front is grenaded not super stoked on this we are pulling it out right now but from my understanding is if you take it apart at all the warranty is void .

If you build it they will come.
the-t-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 119356
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-t-man View Post
we had a hell of time with ours shifting from low-high or opposite , just recently we had the front shifter pop out of gear and something in the front is grenaded not super stoked on this we are pulling it out right now but from my understanding is if you take it apart at all the warranty is void .
Interesting........

The plot thickens.
bjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 67606
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeep View Post
Interesting........

The plot thickens.
Indeed....
Kickin'Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #146 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Do either TWF or Advance offer airshifers for their cases. I’m thinking about gearing options but I know I can’t shift a manual stick atlas. For reference, I can’t shift my 231 due to a combination of grip and tricep strength.

Edit: I have never shifted a cable shifted case. I dunno what if any difference it would make.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 03-18-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #147 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Do either TWF or Advance offer airshifers for their cases. Iím thinking about gearing options but I know I canít shift a manual stick atlas. For reference, I canít shift my 231 due to a combination of grip and tricep strength.

Edit: I have never shifted a cable shifted case. I dunno what if any difference it would make.
We don't sell to your kind. Get a hair cut you dirty hippy.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #148 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Dammit. Oh well.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 03-18-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019, 10:10 PM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 47337
Quote:
Do either TWF or Advance offer airshifers for their cases. Iím thinking about gearing options but I know I canít shift a manual stick atlas. For reference, I canít shift my 231 due to a combination of grip and tricep strength.

My hero is air shifted, but I made my own setup using parts listed in patooyee's thread on here about air shifters
Fl-Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #150 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:

There was a thread where a guy had a white 5.3 nv4500 4Runner with air shifters on his doubler. 241/205 maybe? I can find it later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in