17" Double Beadlocks - TR or Raceline - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4421
17" Double Beadlocks - TR or Raceline

TR will do them with 3.5" backspacing, design is somewhat similar to Hutchinson - they modify the front beadlock ring and add an o-ring.

Raceline starts at 4.5" backspacing, I don't know what it ends up at though after the inner bead is added, 5.5" maybe?

I'm running 3.5" backspacing right now, and I can get there with the Racelines and 1" spacers (not allowing for the inner bead), or run the TR wheels with no spacers.

Guess I'd also need to know where they start, an 8" or 9" wheel.

Looking for opinions / experience. Thanks.
Bob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Visa Master

Member # 8649
Curious, why not rock monster wheels?

What bolt pattern/back spacing are you looking for?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4421
I looked at them, 4.5" backspacing - cast though, not forged. They're an option. 6 lug.

Last edited by Bob Williams; 12-01-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 112255
Considered Stazworks? Or do you want Aluminum? I've always loved Racelines but seems like there have been a lot of broken ones recently. Everyone seems to be jumping ship to TR.

I'd avoid wheel spacers if possible.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 186874
Trail ready, worth every penny.
homeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4486
Why doubles? Gluing the inside bead not working?

Ryan
PJTPW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4421
Never tried gluing, read about it....tired of losing the inner bead at anything below 6 or 7psi. Running 42" Iroks, going to 43" stickies.

Breaking rims and taking out brake lines kinda slows the fun for the day. Just tired of losing the bead when nothing but that happens.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 186874
read this, found it helpful when choosing beadllocks. when I was running racelines I had them machine them to work with the bfg sidewall while running the steel rings. ( Single beadlock not double )

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...ck-survey.html

problem is the sidewall thickness and the safey beads on most beadlock wheels cant hold those tires on. red labels worked so well on most wheels cause they are one of the most thin sidewalls/bead lip thickness.

Last edited by homeboy; 12-01-2014 at 09:08 PM.
homeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 84965
trailready ftw
xr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 4486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Williams View Post
Never tried gluing, read about it....tired of losing the inner bead at anything below 6 or 7psi. Running 42" Iroks, going to 43" stickies.

Breaking rims and taking out brake lines kinda slows the fun for the day. Just tired of losing the bead when nothing but that happens.
Scuff inside bead on wheel with scotchbrite. Scuff bead on tire with scothbrite. Clean bead of tire and wheel with acetone. Install tire on beadlock. Use 3m weatherstrip adhesive. Inflate. Done.

If you go this route, make sure you have a wheel that has the safety bead located far enough out for the 43" SX beads. They're pretty thick.

Ryan
PJTPW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4421
This is turning into more of a mess than I had imagined. Raceline doubles are out, 5.5" to 6" of backspacing. No go.

TR dual beadlock with 3.5" backspacing still an option, B.A.D. wheels look good - internal bead lock on outside bead, well designed inner bead ring and 3.5" back spacing. Down side, not available in 6 on 5.5" until next April.

So, new question comparing the two....TR is 8.5" wide, and the B.A.D. is 10" wide, will 43" sx tires fit ok on either wheel - more concerned about the TR wheel with the narrower width.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 188473
Have you considered a set of Hummer wheels from Trail Worthy? They can set the back spacing where ever you want it. Granted they are not 17's, but they are a true double bead lock.
fart_plume is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 20394
Quote:
This is turning into more of a mess than I had imagined. Raceline doubles are out, 5.5" to 6" of backspacing. No go.

TR dual beadlock with 3.5" backspacing still an option, B.A.D. wheels look good - internal bead lock on outside bead, well designed inner bead ring and 3.5" back spacing. Down side, not available in 6 on 5.5" until next April.

So, new question comparing the two....TR is 8.5" wide, and the B.A.D. is 10" wide, will 43" sx tires fit ok on either wheel - more concerned about the TR wheel with the narrower width.
What wheels are you running now? You may find that a good wheel will hold the inner head without the beadlock.

Thank you all for your support

Widia Cutting Tools
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sterling Autosport
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSC

Ruffstuff

Tom Woods Drive Shafts

Buckon37s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
Have you considered a set of Hummer wheels from Trail Worthy? They can set the back spacing where ever you want it. Granted they are not 17's, but they are a true double bead lock.
75 lbs. - thought about 'em.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
What wheels are you running now? You may find that a good wheel will hold the inner head without the beadlock.
Currently running Champion beadlocks. 15x9.5", and the inner bead burps or comes off completely at anything less than 9 to 10 psi - that's with 42" bias ply IROKs.

Going to stickies, and don't want to relive the issues, don't want to glue, don't want to duct tape (with all the money we spend, glue and duct tape, really?) I want to run whatever psi I wish without burping or losing the inner bead.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJTPW View Post
Why doubles? Gluing the inside bead not working?

Ryan
Yes, 17's have a horrible inner rim bead like a 16.5". At low Psi they will burp bad until flat.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:38 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Your problem isn't your wheels it's your iroks. Try the SX on your current wheels and you may not need double bead locks.
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 15771
Send a message via ICQ to tanzuki Send a message via AIM to tanzuki Send a message via Yahoo to tanzuki
Quote:
I looked at them, 4.5" backspacing - cast though, not forged. They're an option. 6 lug.
Aside from the backspacing issue, Rock Monsters are suppose to be pretty tough. I spoke to Brent at Trail Tough and he swore by these wheels and were the only wheels he would run on his comp buggies. I'll let you know after mine show up and I put them to the test...they should be here in about a week
Old 12-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzuki View Post
. I'll let you know after mine show up and I put them to the test...they should be here in about a week
and I'm sure you will. Your hell on wheels. Especially when you have a blown out sidewall!

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris demartini View Post
Your problem isn't your wheels it's your iroks. Try the SX on your current wheels and you may not need double bead locks.
Wrong, it is wheel design.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 53528
on my 15" rims a few wraps around the inside bead with gorilla tape solved my inner bead problems, makes the wheel "thicker" so the bead dont come off as easy.

my 17" rims with 43" sx stickies im running weld on beadlocks along with stauns internal beadlocks

both setups work great, the stauns dont work for shit by themselves, tire just spins on the rim and blows the tube had to add an external beadlock to keep the tire from spinning.
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Gonna be counter productive to fit a 17" tire on a 15" wheel.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 130927
Quote:
Why are the iroks so bad? They don't seem to have that thick of a sidewall/bead like the other tires people are having problems with. I had 37" iroks on 17 trail ready single bead locks and they sucked! I blew beads like 5 or 6 times one day. Each time adding a little more air but we were snow wheeling and once we got to much I couldn't even drive down the road. I just got the new trep non stickeys and put two raps of tape on them in hopes I don't have to deal with that again.
chevcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevcruiser View Post
Why are the iroks so bad? They don't seem to have that thick of a sidewall/bead like the other tires people are having problems with.
Do you have any proof of this? Or just guessing?
Dookey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 130927
I don't have calipers with me but putting a tape on them I'd say they are real close to .75" and I thought the ones people were posting in the older thread were closer to 1".
chevcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in