propane...pro-pain in the A**!!!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 164668
propane...pro-pain in the A**!!!!

not 4wd but i figured the answer to this could be found in the 4wd world..

ok the forklift at work old antique forklift at work..... cat 1404 has a impco conversion on it. the vaporizer has been leaking and it hasnt been serviced since before bush was in office but was running pretty good, no exactly new but it did its job soooo.... cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and air filter replaced ran just like it did no problems no drive ability issues just the leak at the vaporizer. it has a model j and a model 100 on it. i changed all the gaskets and valves in the vaporizer and it ran like crap, messed with the mixture screw and it seemed to be fine. it rev up, hyd worked no stalling etc. sat from fri to monday, monday morning it would only spin over not even attempt to hit a lick, so i put everything old back in the vaporizer (not leaking now??) it took a few tries to fire up but would start and rev like a champ, i would let it set for a few hrs and try it again it would fire right up....but i stayed home with a sick child today only to get a text saying it was running poor again.. any help is much appreciated. i had propane on my k30 and never had any issued with it. it was a new got propane kit so thats probably why.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 82950
I've had an LP Deere 4010 for about 5 years now and just recently had troubles. I'd been through the converter before so thought is was ok. But I had a miss. So, plugs, wires, points, condenser, coil, the usual. Number 5 was completely carbon fouled so figured that was problem, but it wouldn't start unless I had my hand over the intake pipe? Rebuilt converter completely and verified hole to atmosphere was clear, but no go.

My last ditch was to do a valve adjustment thinking that maybe a rocker was too tight. Any negative pressure back in the intake will cause fuel to quit flowing I found out monkeying around with the converter. The fewer the cylinders, the more amplified this would be it seems.

I found carnage in mine with a broken rocker that pushed off the retainer, sheared the locks, and dropped the valve. Bent valve stayed in head so cylinder wasn't destroyed. Pushrod was kicked to the side and bent as well. The rocker ball came out of top of pushrod and ground itself flat!

So I'd do a valve adjustment on it as the next place to troubleshoot, and I hope you don't find what I did! (Picked up my head from machine shop today ironically enough.)

Last edited by Mike C2; 12-03-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Mike C2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 164668
wow! yea i hope not, i checked checked and double checked the gaskets on that thing. its way to simple to be this difficult. i work for my father in law so the pressure is on me...

Old 12-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 171191
Whats the model and serial number. I work for a CAT lift truck dealer. i estimate all the repair costs

Start here...Put a low pressure fuel gauge on the drain port of the vaporizer and drive it around.. Should be 1-2 psi max. Check for a vacuum leak at the LP lock off filter..

I can get you what ever parts breakdowns, information and pricing that is available.

If your impatient (like me) give me a call tomorrow.

Brian
Fallsway Equipment Co - 330-633-6000 x 195
bweezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 164668
i didnt find my low pressure gauge until a little bit ago, but i did pull that plug and it coundnt have been much of any type of pressure coming out of the test port. i had a can of brake cleaner that i sprayed on everything to see if it was sucking air and found nothing with that, i also pulled the electric lock off solenoid to make sure it was sealing off properly when no current was applied. that amount of actual parts in the vaporizer and mixer being so minimal i cant believe this is being so hard to deal with. fuel, air, spark are all there. one air/fuel adjustment screw and a idle screw...

ill check that pressure port reading in the am and see how that goes. thank you for your help.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 30839
I won't be in the shop for another hour but if you wanted to call I can give you some ideas.
Cary

Bulletproof propane kits for extreme off road and carbureted engines. Please visit our website for details.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TO ORDER ONLINE:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check us out on Facebook
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 164668
I was hoping you would find this. You kit spoiled me no brain work required. I haven't messed with it today, busy milling some parts for a hot job. Ill check my pressure an open the mixture screw up some and see how it does before I tie you up. Thank you!!
Old 12-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 164668
well after this heap running decent one day and like a heap the next off and on for a week or two i finally figured out whats the deal has been.. i could only assume it was something that i had done wrong, was running decent before.. making it run really lean or even with the mix screw all the way in and shooting it with carb cleaner still same amount of poor running. so i loosened the dist clamp and jacked the timing to the moon, no difference. turned the dist to the max the opposite way no real difference. i grabbed my spark checker from the house on my lunch, put it between the coil and the dist fired it up. nice blue spark spark its running then when it goes to missing the spark goes yellow/orange. i run to the local home town parts house for a universal 12v coil. i was not about to go to advance auto and get the blank look when i tell them its for a fork lift... anyway new coil fixed me right up, hell iam not sure its ever ran this well.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 30839
Nice, that was one of my suspicions. Coil wire and rotor should be checked too. One more thing, check to see if you are not feeding 12v to a 9v coil or vice versa.

Bulletproof propane kits for extreme off road and carbureted engines. Please visit our website for details.

TO ORDER ONLINE:

Check us out on Facebook
Old 12-12-2014, 03:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 164668
The forklift is 30+ years old and the coil was painted cat yellow. I guessing it was the original unit and was just ready to retire, ironically after I serviced it..... I do appreciate the offer to help me on it, do you sole your cooling system issue from the other day?

Last edited by HGSR; 12-12-2014 at 06:29 PM.
HGSR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2014, 05:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 30839
Yes, right after I talked to you I had a hose blow off of it burning my right hand. There was an air bleed that was clogged. 01 Mercury Sable

TO ORDER ONLINE:

Check us out on Facebook

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in