stall speed help - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11985
stall speed help

background info....

th350 with unknown stall speed. rig was 5300# and it seemed a little sluggish from a dead stop in high range. this is with 42s and a fairly warm lq4 6.0

it wants to push through the brakes in low range

same drivetrain going into my new buggy. the buggy is probably going weigh around 4000#.

am I understanding correctly that the lighter rig will essentially lower my stall speed?

I don't want it to push through the brakes in low range, do want it to get going faster from a dead stop in high range, and also not be so high of stall that heat is an issue.

is there a way to figure what my current one is and then how much do we change it?

any help is appreciated
M&M Offroad triple threat chassis #27
1TFROT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 104966
My brother has almost an identical setup. His stall is 2200 and it's about perfect. on 43's it's easy to stop and hold, but you stab the gas and you better be grabbing for something to hold onto.
bbaxter51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Im no expert... just been searching along the same lines for my build.

What I understand about stall speed so far is this.

A TC should be built custom to each motor. Not only taking into consideration the power the motor puts out (via dyo) but also everything to do with the rig. The whole shooting match. Weight, drive train gears (both tranny and T case), diff gears, tire size, and application (how the rig is used).

The TC is like a clutch and needs to be made to fully engage at the proper engine torque. It can make or break the performance of a auto rig.

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11448
Send a message via Yahoo to MNorby
I researched this too and many suggest around 2500 for similar setups so thats what I did for my lq4/th400 and am happy with it for my needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 11985
well, looks like 2200 was written on my current converter so it seems we will be going with a 2600-2800 stall to see if that is better. hopefully that's still plenty low enough to not worry about temps getting out of hand
M&M Offroad triple threat chassis #27
1TFROT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 85796
The problem with torque converters is if you make more than 400hp you can push over stall. Which means it never quits stalling, it causes loss of power and over heating at higher rpm's. We have built a few of ultra4 transmissions and the first thing we had them do was call our converter builders and have a custom converter built. After transmission installed they call back and tell me the car is faster than ever, and they are going up stuff in high range that they had to switch into low to get up before.Now what everybody does not want to here is a good converter does cost $800-$1000. go to your local high end engine builder and ask about how much a converter will make?
BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 186874
Ive got a healthy stock 6.0 lq4,th350 stage 2 shift kit ( holds 1st and 2nd ) with off the shelf 2200-2400 converter, atlas 2 4.3 gears, 5.13 in diffs. it works amazing crawling in low range doesn't push through the brakes has lots of get and go to launch stuff. absolutely love it.

high range road bombing getting to trails is another thing, quite a bit of up higher elevation stuff where I wheel ( hill climbs ). I had a tube fin cooler with a fan mounted behind my seats not in direct air and it couldn't keep up with the heat the converter was producing. eventually added a stacked plate cooler in addition to that one. a lot better, however if I push real hard it will go to 210-230 range in wide open throttle 3rd gear. I've thought about going with a cbr oil cooler to replace the derale tube fin unit.

typically in the trail and in low i'm seeing 140-145 range no matter how hard i'm on it

my buggy weighs probably 3800-4100 lbs

Last edited by homeboy; 12-07-2014 at 06:55 PM.
homeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 43590
Send a message via AIM to BFJ93YJ
I have almost the exact same setup (Stock LQ4 with a minor tune, 4l80e, Atlas with 4.3 gears and 5.13's in the axles) and am having a similar problem with the tranny heating up. I am not sure what the stall of the stock TC is. Runs nice and cool when in the rocks, but heats up quickly at speed in high range. I just have a tube/fin cooler in front of the radiator but it can't keep up.

Are you thinking about going to a higher stall TC, like 2500-2800? Or are you going to stick with what you have and add coolers to keep the heat under control? I am going to have to cross this bridge eventually so I would like to get ideas.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 186874
stock stall converters are typically 1400-1600 behind a small block in the th350. not sure what they are in a 4l80e. going only higher would produce more heat for what I run. I would suggest looking at placement of the cooler ( air flow and minimizing any heat transfer from the rad ) and getting a cooler a lot more efficient at dissipating the heat then the tube fin, they are junk imo.
homeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 43590
Send a message via AIM to BFJ93YJ
Yeah, I think the stock TC is around 1600. The cooler I have now is more than just a finned cooler, but it just isn't big enough. And I agree that I need to get it away from the radiator to keep residual heat away from it. Just going to go big I think! Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in