Rear mounted subaru engine in a fc170? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 175005
Rear mounted subaru engine in a fc170?

Need your guys thoughts on an idea i have been tossing around recently. A little back ground first, i have a fc170 i picked up a couple years back and have been building. It was in a swamp for years so the rust took a heavy toll and i ended up having to replace almost every part of the body, but seeing how you cant just buy panels for it i have been making my own and changing the way the cab was put together. The way i have done it is to make a frame out of square tubing and then sheet it, it looks normal on the outside but it is stronger and lighter (im assuming haven't taken it to a scale yet). The bed was toast so i have made my own that looks similar to the original but it might be modified to either be more of a utility bed or more of a fleetside style. The frame, once i choose my drive train, will be custom made also.
When i got the jeep rather than having either the 4 or 6 cylinder in it someone had swapped in an AMC 327, th400, and dana20. Now i love oddball engines and like this one a lot and i actually had it together and driving with it but there are some problems. First is just way to heavy (almost as much as a 454) and also way to big in pretty much all dimensions, i have pushed the size of the doghouse/tunnel as far as I'm willing to go and its so wide that the valve cover is pretty much under my thigh and to build the dog house i would have to custom make seats. I could fix the problem with the dog house by doing a body lift but the center of gravity is so high already i don't want to go there. Also it has no aftermarket and although it makes decent power stock it is hard to get much out of it without a turbo or tons of work.

So i looked to different engines with my criteria being power and size. After doing a lot of research i narrowed it down to a 5.0 because of the light weight, small package, and power potential. My other choices would be the buick215/300/rover versions and the lexus 4.0 however the challenges for those really only make their only advantage being different/coolness factor.

Now you would think at this point i should be done but i got to thinking and the design of the fc puts almost all the weight on the front axle making it very top and front heavy to the point where the factory putting weights in the back of the truck just to help it from flipping forward (this also helped with giving it traction in the rear). Which got me to thinking about doing a rear/mid engine set up. I had thought about this awhile back with the idea to do this with a 5.0 and have it be tube framed in the rear, but i want this one to look like a normal fc and still have a bed on it so i scrapped that idea for a future project. But recently i stumbled on a thread when a Subaru engine swapped in a toyota pickup and it got me thinking. With everything being custom made i could build it to fit a subaru (either 2.5, or one of the six cylinders) mounted between the frame in the rear of the truck, mate that to either a power glide or a c4 then do a atlas set up for reverse rotation and it would eliminate a lot of the issues with the design of the fc and allow me to significantly change the way the interior of the cab is laid out.
So im wondering what your opinions on a subaru motor in a truck this size, i know i would have to build it/cam it for lower end power and i am leaning towards a supercharger also, and i know getting a tranny to mount to it will be difficult but i have the money and i can fabricate/ know people who can make all of this work. However i cant find anything saying it can or cant work in a truck this size.
jones486 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
I used to race in rally and have built a few subaru SVX's. I can tell you that a naturally aspirated 2.5l is not the best choice. Mainly due to the lack of torque in the lower rpms. If you want to swap in a soobie engine, look for the EG33. That is the 3.3l engine from a SVX. These have quite a bit more torque and are in fact a popular swap for open-light class of rally racing and for aircraft as they are powerful and reliable. Stand alone ignition systems are available for them as well. Adapters are available to bolt up a subaru engine to a th400. A google search will find you a few of those. Subaru engines, from the 2.0l to the 3.6l tribecca engine all have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. So this adapter will work with anything in the soobie lineup of powerplants.
The turbocharged 2.5L engines from the STI's and Forester XT's are powerhouse engines... over 3500 rpm. Below that they are useless.
The EG33 has been proven to produce over 600 hp on 10lbs of boost on a stock engine. But you still have the low end grunt needed to get moving. And they are built like fucking Tanks.

These engines are WIDE. Very short, but wide. You may have to shoehorn them in.

Here is a quick video of my 3.3 with 11.5:1 compression and a few other mods. Not romping on it as hard as I could, for fear of killing the poor transmission. .. also, filmed on a potato. But you get the point.
SVX

Last edited by SMC; 01-06-2015 at 09:50 PM.
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in