Amphibious HEMTT? - Page 26 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 05:55 AM   #626 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
The one thing to think about when using hose on the turbo inlets, is to watch if they collapse when the turbo is at full boost. The hoses were able to withstand pressures but not a vacuum. I had that happen on my rig and it only makes 15 psi of boost whereas diesels make a lot more than that.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #627 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwflyoda View Post
The one thing to think about when using hose on the turbo inlets, is to watch if they collapse when the turbo is at full boost. The hoses were able to withstand pressures but not a vacuum. I had that happen on my rig and it only makes 15 psi of boost whereas diesels make a lot more than that.
This hose is designed for intake and has a wire running through it. (Like a big spring. I hope it won't collapse. I suppose when I do the test with someone watching the vacuum gauge, they can check the hose to. Mine runs about 30 psi max.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #628 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mindless View Post
The inner element is there to protect things while field servicing the main element.

I doubt youíll see it adds any restriction.

That vacuum gauge likely doesnít need someone to watch it. It resets only on button push if itís the typical filter-minder type.
It is a filter minder. I didn't notice a button, but I didn't really look at it good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #629 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
This hose is designed for intake and has a wire running through it. (Like a big spring. I hope it won't collapse. I suppose when I do the test with someone watching the vacuum gauge, they can check the hose to. Mine runs about 30 psi max.
If its that sort of hose you should be golden. The hose i was using was the silicon boost hose and they weren't designed for that. Lesson learned. haha
Old 03-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #630 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
I made a cover for the battery tray awhile back. It fit real tight, but I couldn't leave it like that. Once the truck gets painted, I would scratch the shit out of it. If I cut it down so it was loose, it would bounce out without something to secure it.

I got a couple of these flush aviation latches. I've used them before and I like the look/operation.

While they work nice, they not real easy to install. I think the big aviation mfg. have some kind of punch press to make the hole. I didn't have that luxury, so I made a template.

I used the template to trace the hole and drilled/cut/grind from there.

All riveted in they work/look good. (Imho)

Old 03-12-2019, 04:46 AM   #631 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
Those latches are sweet. They really work well.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:15 AM   #632 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Those latches are sweet. They really work well.
Yea, there pretty cool. The latches I really like.

These ones are a lot easier to mount. (Just round holes) They also have a small rubber lip around them that makes them waterproof when shut.

The down side is $70 apiece. (The ones I used are about $15)

Old 03-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #633 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
I've used one of those before when i had a side access door for my propane tank. I definitely like some of the latches that they have available for air craft.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:14 PM   #634 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
So I needed to make a cover for the engine. It had to be strong because it is the front of the bed. First thing I hade to do was frame out the opening. Here you can see the angle aluminum I installed along the side and top. If you look close, you can see a "pin" that bolts through the black frame tube.

I have a mating hole in the reinforcement angle on the cover.

When the cover sits on the pins (one on each side), the side can't go anywhere.

Here you can see the construction of the cover from the back side. It's all 1/8" 6061-T6.

The cover attaches to the bed rails with four flush latches. (The same ones I used on the battery cover) These latches were a lot harder to fit. For some reason they would not shut on 1/8" even though they are designed for it. I ended up grinding the flanges to about .090"

The result looks pretty good and I can walk all over it. (No flexing)

I cut two slotted holes in the side to give me a handle. The cover is heavier than you would think.

After finishing the cover, I had a crazy idea. What about a couple seats mounted facing back on the cover? Kind of like the old Subaru Brat. It's strong enough. Be kind of fun riding back there.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #635 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 210244
Do you have plans to put any more windows in the cab?

When I look at the truck, I see the space behind the doors and the back of the cab are begging for some.

My Diesel Sport Trac Build

69DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 06:43 AM   #636 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69DieselLover View Post
Do you have plans to put any more windows in the cab?

When I look at the truck, I see the space behind the doors and the back of the cab are begging for some.
I'm thinking of a back window so I can have a rear view mirror. But I haven't installed it yet because I might still make a rear hatch to get into the bed. Right now I have the front fenders reinforced to walk around from the front to the bed, but that doesn't work if I have a canvas "cap" on the bed. (Another thing I haven't decided on)

On the sides behind the doors, it will probably not get windows. There is structure in there for the seatbelts that gets in the way. I could put some windows further back, but they wouldn't be very useful. (Just something to break.)

Old 03-28-2019, 05:29 AM   #637 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
That looks great and i like the seat idea. It would give you the option to haul more folks around when you go playing in the woods or if you still decide to use the float idea.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:57 PM   #638 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
I love that thing.

You should do some pics with something for scale. Having not really seen it, it's hard to tell if it's the size of a Samurai or a Terex!

Maybe nose-to-nose with the orange thing (Bug?)?
How's this?

Old 05-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #639 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Long ago, someone posted I should have an escape hatch and a "ring mount" was brought up. For those unfirmillier, it's a hole in the roof with a swivel for a gun. While a true ring mount is not really practical, I like the millitary look and totally suits the build. So why not waste a bunch of time on it?

First, I need to reinforce the roof and get rid of the razor sharp edge I will create. I started with a piece of angle on the bead roller.

Squeeze the edge and it gets a pretty good curve.

After quite a bit of back and forth.

Finally matches my template.

Repeat and I have the bottom. They don't match perfect, but pretty close.

The plan for the cover is to have it pivot to the side.

To make the pivot, I used some aluminum round stock. I had to ground a tool to cut a o-ring groove.

I drilled the same hole pattern in a couple other plates. One to clamp the pivot to the roof and the other to clamp on the cover.

Here's the general idea.

More one ring mount next up date.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #640 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
Did you use a parting tool to cut the groove for the o-ring?
Old 05-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #641 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Did you use a parting tool to cut the groove for the o-ring?
No, I used the tool pictured. My parting tool has a long straight bottom to it. So I couldn't use it on such a small circle.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #642 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Next bit of nonsense is a knob to lock the pivot. Started with a chunk of scrap aluminum.

Drilled a hole in it and put bolt in to mount in the lathe.

Start by rounding the corners.

Keep going till it's round.

Chuck the round and cut off the hump.

Clamp it in the mill and do a hole pattern on the edge.

You get the idea here. This knob will be on the lower side.

I thought it looked a little boring, so I did some carving on the lathe.

Next update, more ring mount.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:28 AM   #643 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99136
Quote:
No, I used the tool pictured. My parting tool has a long straight bottom to it. So I couldn't use it on such a small circle.
Okay, i see. I have a parting tool that looks similar to the one you used to cut the groove is why i asked.

The knob looks great! I want to pick up a mill to be able to do things like that as well.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:38 AM   #644 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Okay, i see. I have a parting tool that looks similar to the one you used to cut the groove is why i asked.

The knob looks great! I want to pick up a mill to be able to do things like that as well.
My parting tool is a flat piece of steel that holds a carbide insert. The one I made is just a piece of tool steel cut with a cutoff wheel. Lol. It worked good.

The mill and lathe are a lot of fun. The digital readout is cool and it can do a lot more if I knew how. (It's from Hong Kong and directions suck) I have a readout for the lathe also. Just haven't had time to install.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #645 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
The next bit of machining is kind of cool, if I do say so myself.

I needed to hold the bolt on the top of the cover. A recessed hole is needed, but it must be hex shape. First I spot face a 3/4" over the hole.

Next, I used a 1/8" endmill in a small six hole pattern.

Here is the tricky part. I was able to cut two flats in the recess because they were parallel to the table travil. But the other four flats didn't line up with anything. If I had a CNC, the computer could figure it out and run stepper motors. For my manual machine, I had to do something else. I got lucky that I allready had six threaded holes in the plate. I actually threaded four bolts in and clamped it in the vice on the bolts. So I just turned it 60 degrees and clamped it back in the vice and cut two more flats.

One more time and I had this.

Bolt fits nice and tight and can't turn.

So now it's pretty much worked out. (The knob goes under the wood)

Next update, still more ring mount.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #646 (permalink)

Member # 37016
Nice job on the hex. I did similar but had a rotary table that makes it much easier.
65Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 05:10 AM   #647 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Chevy4x4 View Post
Nice job on the hex. I did similar but had a rotary table that makes it much easier.
I want to buy one. Does yours tilt also? Not sure of the term. Maybe index head?

Old 05-08-2019, 05:24 AM   #648 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
I want to buy one. Does yours tilt also? Not sure of the term. Maybe index head?
If I had have one I would hold out of one big fucking rotary table (like 12"minimum). Being able to stick your vises, sine table, etc, etc on top of your rotatory table makes for a lot of flexibility on what you can do. Rotary tables are very solid for their size so for the most part are free to stack shit on them without introducing chatter.

That said, having a small rotary table that can be mounted horizontally and vertically is very useful too. Basically you can never have enough variety when it comes to work-holding and positioning.

Most rotary tables don't tilt (I've never seen one that does) but you can always stick a sine table on/under them if you really need to.

An indexing head is something else and can be pressed into service as a really small rotary table if needed but I would try to avoid doing that. They're generally not nearly as rigid.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 05:35 AM   #649 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
If I had have one I would hold out of one big fucking rotary table (like 12"minimum). Being able to stick your vises, sine table, etc, etc on top of your rotatory table makes for a lot of flexibility on what you can do. Rotary tables are very solid for their size so for the most part are free to stack shit on them without introducing chatter.

That said, having a small rotary table that can be mounted horizontally and vertically is very useful too. Basically you can never have enough variety when it comes to work-holding and positioning.

Most rotary tables don't tilt (I've never seen one that does) but you can always stick a sine table on/under them if you really need to.

An indexing head is something else and can be pressed into service as a really small rotary table if needed but I would try to avoid doing that. They're generally not nearly as rigid.
That's the truth!

OK, a few years back a machine shop closed down here and I bid on a rotary table. (About 12") But I didn't bid enough. Found out later I was biding against a friend of mine. Lol. He ended up moving, so I couldn't borrow it.

The thing I was calling a index head had a small lathe chuck mounted to it. I agree it wasn't very solid, but you could tilt it any angle from horizontal to vertical.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #650 (permalink)

Member # 37016
I have a small rotary with a 9inch 3 jaw chuck attched to it. Can you mount vertical or horizontal.

I have a 12inch Round rotary plate that i can bolt vise or piece directly onto.
65Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in