considering selling my buggy for RZR - advice from those who have done it? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 48084
considering selling my buggy for RZR - advice from those who have done it?

I bought my buggy 3 years ago because I wanted something that does well going fast and crawling. It finished KOH in 2011 (before I owned it), so it's not a turd, but it's absolutely not an Ultra4 racecar by today's standards by any means. I don't race it, but I do enjoy being able to go anywhere I want in it, usually as fast as I want to go. I do everything from the hardest rock trails around to the biggest dunes around, and enjoy the occasional 100 MPH sprint. It's been a blast, but I'm finding myself looking for something else new and fun.

I don't have $100+K to build a new buggy that would take it to the next level. I'm thinking a new RZR 1K plus about $10K in add-ons will get me 90% of the places my buggy would go (all but the hardest rock trails) and a whole lot more trials my buggy couldn't go before for about 1/3 the money. If I wanted to do a race or two for fun, I could probably be fairly competitive with a machine or that caliber (???).

Who has made the switch and loved or hated it? I'm sure I'm not the first person to be considering this change.

I figure I would need:
real cage and bumpers
wheel / tires
better seats
better belts
better lights
turbo or something to make better power
better axles
shock tuning
else????

Could also sell my stiff-riding, gas-guzzling expensive diesel truck and huge enclosed trailer in favor of a 1/2 ton truck and smaller trailer.

knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 40131
I haven't done it but I'd honestly do it in a heartbeat if someone would buy my junk. If also consider downsizing to a smaller truck as well. All my buddies that used to wheel don't wheel anymore and I have to drink 5+ hours to challenge the rig in legal wheeling places. Only other buddy I really wheel and wrench with is big into RZRs/ side by sides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2015, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 48084
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blazer View Post
I haven't done it but I'd honestly do it in a heartbeat if someone would buy my junk. If also consider downsizing to a smaller truck as well. All my buddies that used to wheel don't wheel anymore and I have to drink 5+ hours to challenge the rig in legal wheeling places. Only other buddy I really wheel and wrench with is big into RZRs/ side by sides.
That reminds me of another point too. There are a limited number of people who have a buggy that will ride the trials I want to at the pace I want to. As great as the internet is for making friends for similar hobbies, sometimes I just get tired of trying. Friends come and go, especially when you're 25-35 and everybody is selling everything they own to get married and have kids, then forget what offroading is.

Not trying to sound arrogant, but it gets old following around people with rigs half as capable as yours. I went out with a group late last year and never even put it in 4WD all day while they struggled to get up most obstacles. On the other hand, there are thousands of RZRs out there to ride with and a lot more trails you can take them on than a fullsize buggy.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
CrawlTunes

Member # 72810
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blazer View Post
...I have to drink 5+ hours to challenge the rig in legal wheeling places.
So, when the trails aren't challenging enough, I should just get plastered before wheeling them?

TAWL_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 102813
If you do sell....

You will find yourself in the same position in a couple years, just with a RZR instead of a crawler/rocket ship.

Finding a hardcore group is hard, no matter what you are doing.

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143323
I have buddies doing the same thing. Swapping from full size to RZR. Personally I am building a family crawler so I can take the kids with me and my buddies are getting RZRs and leaving their fullsize rigs broken or missing parts in the garage. Its tough when everyone gets older and goes different directions. At least with my decision I can include the family when I want, drive on the road (locally) and still hit the hardcore trails when the kids are at home. My kids are young so maybe in 5 years or so I will be in your boat. My 4 wheel group is getting smaller by the year. I don't have the money to go ultra 4 style so not apples to apples.
Get a sitter and take her somewhere nice. Obviously "nice" is reliant on budget, as my nice might be crawfish and draft shiner at a dive bar followed by rough backseat sex parked behind Gander Mountain- whereas your nice will probably differ from that.
bjordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 161937
I personally think you are throwing money away. RZR are expensive, the market for ultra 4 buggies is somewhat soft right now. I know of several buggies that have been listed on here and have sold for 20k below asking price. By the time you build a RZR the way you want you wont have much if any money left over from your ultra 4 buggy, and you will have a rig in my opinion is less capable, possibly has an even lower resale value, and just simply not as cool. I have a U4 buggy and love it. I still enjoy trail wheeling with my buddies that have normal rigs, but I can have a blast letting it rip when I want, and race when I want.

Thanks to:
PCI Radios
BTR Wheels
BF Goodrich
jrad12381 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 40131
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAWL_BOY View Post
So, when the trails aren't challenging enough, I should just get plastered before wheeling them?
Damn skippy! Works 60% of the time, every time.

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
If you do sell....

You will find yourself in the same position in a couple years, just with a RZR instead of a crawler/rocket ship.

Finding a hardcore group is hard, no matter what you are doing.
Agree. You'll just max out the RZR capabilities and end up at the same point.

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 26797
I'll be the black sheep. I have a rzr 1k, just put a turbo on it, beadlocks, harness', bumpers, stuff. I have a blast following rigs with 40" tires and doing the same trails, then when I want, haul ass at 85 mph, and honestly, its been more reliable then my buggy. I can fit two in an enclosed trailer easily, and pull it with a 3/4 ton. I bought my fiancÚ a rhino to do her own thing when we go out, and not just be a passenger. I love it. That being said, I haven't sold my buggy....
Old 04-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 11985
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjordan View Post
My kids are young so maybe in 5 years or so I will be in your boat. My 4 wheel group is getting smaller by the year. I don't have the money to go ultra 4 style so not apples to apples.
maybe not. my kids are not little anymore (16 and 12) and they both drive offroad and love it. it's a blast to take them with and let them drive. I went with a 4 seater buggy for that reason, family/friends. wanted the extra space to carry stuff and fit people.

maybe your kids will enjoy doing the same thing
M&M Offroad triple threat chassis #27
1TFROT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 10:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
If you make the switch, don't forget to cut your balls off!

Golf carts are

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 80873
the thing that keeps me away from the side by side stuff is they depreciate to damn fast. i have pretty much gotten my money out of the 3-4 rockcrawlers i have owned. if you buy a buggy already built and keep it nice you can usually sell for what you bought into it for. (building from scratch is another story). every year a new model side by side comes out and slams the prices down on the older models. i cant stomach the depreciation on them personally.

but on the other side maintaining a sxs seems very cheap compared to a most buggys.

Last edited by bushauler; 04-19-2015 at 11:01 PM.
bushauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 10:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 113019
Once you start pushing the limits of the RZR you're going to be spending as much time wrenching on it as your buggy. I'd spend the money on a rail or dualsport and maybe a more mild Jeep for running trails.
BigBlue&Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I would really do some research and talk to the guys who are racing rzr's. They are pretty cool no doubt, but it seems like you have to replace damn near everything to actually race them. I think a lot of people, including myself, have seen the sxs races and thought, "hey cool, it's just a bunch of upgraded rzr's" when in reality they are way beyond that. Obviously, you aren't afraid of mods, it just seems silly to spend $30k on something, only to throw 60% of it away within a few years.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 193461
^^^ I agree. And they'll still break even when they're in race form.

adamwende is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 12:09 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 83191
Here's my take, I don't have a RZR, but I got a smoking deal on a Maverick.

After spending untold hours helping everyone else build their rigs, only to have them broke, sold, or just flat not get used, I bought my Can Am.
I've been around racing and off roading all my life. I was slammed with work, I tried building a class 1450 desert truck, only to get 2/3rds of the way through it and already be out classed by other rigs.

The Polaris dealer and Can Am dealer are right around the corner from my shop. I got a flyer in the mail from Can Am about having several of last years models on clearance and after talking with Polaris, I bought the Can Am on price as I'm not really a fan boy of either machine.

I could have easily built a crawler, Ultra 4 type car, or finished my truck. I have the tools and shop. One thing I found in short supply was time. The Maverick is already built. It runs all day on 10 gallons of gas. I can tow it (Short range, to riding areas near me) behind my wife's Liberty.

Can you spend a shit ton with add ons, hop ups, tires, etc...? Absolutely. But what I found was the more you mess with them, their reliability starts to drop and you end up in the same vicious cycle. I've done a few things to mine, and with good driving can go 95% of the places my buddies go. I plan on doing the Rubicon once my leg heals.

I think what really surprised me was how quick it is. It'll bounce off the rev limiter at 79 MPH really easy. I would go so far as to say its deceptively dangerous, and a [email protected] load of fun.

So I say if a RZR is what does it for you, do it. You'll spend way less time building and wrenching. You'll spend way less on fuel. Don't get me wrong, I love building and wrenching, but I do it for a living, and it started to lose its appeal as a hobby. I just want to roll out, have fun, come home, hose it off and put it away.

Last edited by HardCharger81; 04-20-2015 at 12:11 AM.
HardCharger81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 02:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 83191
It's all expensive. UTV's are hot right now, and believe me, I thought hard about my purchase. But it's also a matter of perspective.

What's your time worth? How much is "fun" worth? I dunno. Some of my friends thought I was nuts. A few of them couldn't understand why I'd buy something like that when I have the capacity to build something.
The Maverick was a short cut to fun. That's the best way I can describe it.

I also looked at the used market, and I think you'd be surprised, UTV's hold their value. Atleast around here, I couldn't touch one that wasn't beat for much less than I paid for mine new. No shop within 150 miles of me had a used one. They said most trade ins are spoken for fast. And mine came with a warranty.
HardCharger81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 04:11 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 48084
Quote:
Originally Posted by uihsongshi View Post
I personally think you are throwing money away. RZR are expensive, the market for ultra 4 buggies is somewhat soft right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrad12381 View Post
I personally think you are throwing money away. RZR are expensive, the market for ultra 4 buggies is somewhat soft right now. I know of several buggies that have been listed on here and have sold for 20k below asking price. By the time you build a RZR the way you want you wont have much if any money left over from your ultra 4 buggy, and you will have a rig in my opinion is less capable, possibly has an even lower resale value, and just simply not as cool. I have a U4 buggy and love it. I still enjoy trail wheeling with my buddies that have normal rigs, but I can have a blast letting it rip when I want, and race when I want.
I wish it were that good financially. I probably couldn't get $40K for my buggy and any RZR I want to drive I'll realistically have $30K into. Realistically, I'd be trading my buggy for a fully build RZR for close to the same money. Then from what you guys are saying, selling it for 1/3 - 1/2 that a few years later.

Wow, that does sound pretty retarded now that I actually face the truth of it. I don't have money to be throwing around like that. Or if I did, I wouldn't for long!
Old 04-20-2015, 04:14 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 48084
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCharger81 View Post
Here's my take, I don't have a RZR, but I got a smoking deal on a Maverick.

After spending untold hours helping everyone else build their rigs, only to have them broke, sold, or just flat not get used, I bought my Can Am.
I've been around racing and off roading all my life. I was slammed with work, I tried building a class 1450 desert truck, only to get 2/3rds of the way through it and already be out classed by other rigs.

The Polaris dealer and Can Am dealer are right around the corner from my shop. I got a flyer in the mail from Can Am about having several of last years models on clearance and after talking with Polaris, I bought the Can Am on price as I'm not really a fan boy of either machine.

I could have easily built a crawler, Ultra 4 type car, or finished my truck. I have the tools and shop. One thing I found in short supply was time. The Maverick is already built. It runs all day on 10 gallons of gas. I can tow it (Short range, to riding areas near me) behind my wife's Liberty.

Can you spend a shit ton with add ons, hop ups, tires, etc...? Absolutely. But what I found was the more you mess with them, their reliability starts to drop and you end up in the same vicious cycle. I've done a few things to mine, and with good driving can go 95% of the places my buddies go. I plan on doing the Rubicon once my leg heals.

I think what really surprised me was how quick it is. It'll bounce off the rev limiter at 79 MPH really easy. I would go so far as to say its deceptively dangerous, and a [email protected] load of fun.

So I say if a RZR is what does it for you, do it. You'll spend way less time building and wrenching. You'll spend way less on fuel. Don't get me wrong, I love building and wrenching, but I do it for a living, and it started to lose its appeal as a hobby. I just want to roll out, have fun, come home, hose it off and put it away.
That's the experience I'm looking for. Like my ATVs are to a point - use, wash, and ride. However, as with anything, if you play hard, you have to wrench a lot too. I expect at least some of that. And realistically, I'm not going to be the guy who drives slow. I poke around in my big diesel every day to keep it nice. When the trailer door drops, it's time to rip.

Last edited by knaffie; 04-20-2015 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:09 AM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 164533
Get new friends to wheel with. Move closer to JV, we get out there a lot and there is always people to wheel with.

Move to Havasu and wheel with Rick's buddies , lots of trails and wheelers there
Don't sell buggy to buy a Razor, keep buggy and buy razor. Then you always have guys to wheel with
Co Dawg #48 Waggoner racing
Jimmys Ultra 4 car, Cancer Eddies car
Scraper moon buggy
Valencia Custom Shower doors
BJLOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 06:48 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 97574
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJLOVER View Post
Don't sell buggy to buy a Razor, keep buggy and buy razor. Then you always have guys to wheel with
This!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #23 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
I made the switch from a decent built Jeep to a rzr, 3 years ago and haven't looked back. The only down side I've seen is the 'Jeep' crowd doesn't like the SxS at all. They won't talk to you, wave or even acknowledge your existence. I guess they are superior or something.

In stock form, these things are highly capable. Ground clearance and wheelbase seem to be the limiting factors on them and you also wheel them different than a jeep/crawler. You have to attack your obstacle with speed verses tire precision, gear reduction and tire traction, you just hit and go.

We use ours for farm use, trail riding and rock crawling. It can't do everything my Jeep could do, but what it can so it done with less effort and is far more fun. Transporting it is easier, it fits in my tory hauler just fine. Its easy to drive and has a low COG which means my girlfriend can drive it and not be afraid of tipping over.

I don't worry about resale. I don't buy toys as an investment, I buy them, use them till I'm completely done and sell it for whatever it's worth.

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Take a Knee

Member # 44531
I made the switch from a TJ on Unimog axles with a Corvette engine to a RZR and had way more fun in the RZR. That was early in the RZR days.

The down sides:
- The RZR and its/my ability to wheel "hardcore" trails pissed off a fair number of guys with "built" rigs (mostly the same guys who got pissed off when I followed them around in my stock Rubicon)

- At the time, there were no local rock crawling competitions that would allow me to enter the RZR (I ended up doing hare scrambles)

- Like any vehicle that gets used hard, the RZR needed repairs and upgrades
Old 04-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
Went from kickass rock buggy to rzr.
We have about 10 riding spots very very close for rzr's. When I had my buggy it was 3 hours one of 3 directions to get to a park that was a challenge for the buggy and then a grand every other time I took it out and broke it. 40" stickies are hard on stuff.
I can ride most ever weekend with the 1k after the first 5 grand in upgrades. They are quite fragile compared to my buggy suspension and rollover wise, other than that, learn how to drive them, know their limits, do it.
JabNasty and I easily finished KOH UTV race 3 times, in the 13/14 (beginning of the hard years) in 3rd then 4th in a mostly stock 900.
I would love to have another buggy. I own a jeep I have 90% built with tons/ori's/40" treps etc, can't find time to finish it because I know the vicious cycle of having to haul across the damn country side to wheel it somewhere big enough for it. I can get in the rzr and climb some creek banks behind the house with 20 of my buddies in an afternoon and wake up in my bed

We have a short course series right here in town, just started it last year.

We have a little rock crawling comp less than an hour from us that is fun for these golf carts.

Depends on where you are. Also depends on your abilities.
If you're close to wheeling and there are guys to go with that get down, never sell. My closest wheeling buddy that like my driving style and has a capable rig is maybe an hour away? My rzr buddies that like to ride hard and push the limits are like 1, 2, and 4 miles away.
I can make all my own rzr parts, they're so small and light and easy. Wad it up, pull it back out with the jeep winch and rock on. It makes sense for Kansas wheeling, if you live near cool parks and don't have private rzr challenging land access, maybe not for you.
If I lived at the hammers, I'd still have my buggy.
Sorry for rambling, too long a weekend, too much coffee

for the fastest quick release extinguisher mounts available and UTV parts
blacksheep10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in