2.5 Ton Rockwell Axles - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 571754
2.5 Ton Rockwell Axles

Does anyone use 2.5 Rockwell Axles on a daily driver?
375H&H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109153
Ive seen a bunch of green trucks driving around on them for years

Quote:
Dont let the haters get you down, alexray55!!! I would rather see ten homebrew rigs built with ingenuity and sweat than ten rigs built with a checkbook or credit card.
ChestonScout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 196160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestonScout View Post
Ive seen a bunch of green trucks driving around on them for years

Old 04-22-2015, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 69594
The military used to daily the shit out of trucks on Rockwells.
TrikeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 571754
2.5 Ton Rockwell Axles

By " Green Trucks " I assume you mean Military right? , if not can you please explain what you meant by " Green Trucks " ? Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts opinions or answers.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109328
Quote:
Originally Posted by 375H&H View Post
I am about to. Waiting on wheels and shocks at this point. I have drove the truck about 5 miles currently, nowhere near as loud as I expected the axles to be. They do have an interesting noise at speed (high pitched) but not bad at all.

The reason I haven't drove it more is I don't have front brakes yet

Derek
Attached Images

I had a clogged sewer pipe. After cutting the pipe, reaching in past my elbow, and removing the obstruction; about 12lbs of shit started flowing. Bits of corn and peanuts washed over my neck, down my shirt, some even got in my mouth.

It was still a better experience than buying from Ballistic Fab

Last edited by Ho Shorts; 04-25-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Ho Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2015, 05:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 15354
Send a message via AIM to iniviate
this truck gets driven on the street a lot...

http://rides.8-lug.com/ride/1192977/.../f-350-pickup/

Last edited by iniviate; 04-26-2015 at 05:36 AM.
iniviate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 171638
My W600 came stock with 2.5 ton Rockwells, but not the top loader military variety. The 6.8 gears keep me from getting too many speeding tickets.

Bucky
712edf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109328
Quote:
Originally Posted by 712edf View Post
My W600 came stock with 2.5 ton Rockwells, but not the top loader military variety. The 6.8 gears keep me from getting too many speeding tickets.

Bucky
Yeah, they are low

Even with the overdrive on my 4R100 I am spinning 3 grand at 70 with the little 9R20's on the truck now. The 16R20's will fix that issue but unless you plan on running at least a 46" tire they are not good axles for the road.

Derek
I had a clogged sewer pipe. After cutting the pipe, reaching in past my elbow, and removing the obstruction; about 12lbs of shit started flowing. Bits of corn and peanuts washed over my neck, down my shirt, some even got in my mouth.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
There are quite a few rigs running rockwells that are daily driven. No issues that I know of. Hell, even the stock drum brakes are good enough to lock up all 6 tires. If you do decide to run them on a daily driver, more so one that will see the highway, Dont Mohawk the bottom of the housing to gain better clearance for offroad use. That greatly reduces the amount of gear oil in the housing and can lead to the ring, pinion, bearings and bullgear overheating.
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109328
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC View Post
There are quite a few rigs running rockwells that are daily driven. No issues that I know of. Hell, even the stock drum brakes are good enough to lock up all 6 tires. If you do decide to run them on a daily driver, more so one that will see the highway, Dont Mohawk the bottom of the housing to gain better clearance for offroad use. That greatly reduces the amount of gear oil in the housing and can lead to the ring, pinion, bearings and bullgear overheating.
I was going to upgrade to disc but the stock drums work GREAT. Better than the stock Ford 4 wheel disc setup. It takes probably half of the peddle pressure to stop as it did in this truck off the showroom floor. Most deuce's were manual brakes, when you throw a booster in the mix they are more than adequate.

Offroad I prefer pinion brakes as you can lose around 250 pounds per axle and you can run without a booster, but on the street the stock drums are the way to go.

Last edited by Ho Shorts; 04-27-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109734
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC View Post
Dont Mohawk the bottom of the housing to gain better clearance for offroad use. That greatly reduces the amount of gear oil in the housing and can lead to the ring, pinion, bearings and bullgear overheating.
Only an issue if u don't run this in em

AMSOIL Severe Gear® SAE 250

Thx to my Sponsors:

-Western Canadian Rockwell
-NorthWest Fabworks

IG: @big_skop

Last edited by SKOP; 04-27-2015 at 12:42 PM.
SKOP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 571754
Iniviate just wondering what the average mpg you are getting with your truck and the Rockwell Axles? I'm just asking because I'm in the planning steps of building a vehicle with Rockwell Axles would be nice to know what your complete drivetrain is Engine, Axles, Transmission, Transfer Case, Driveshaft, Exhaust, Fuel Pump, as well as the computer system and any upgrades to the computer system.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 34281
Send a message via Yahoo to keller
Quote:
Iniviate just wondering what the average mpg you are getting with your truck and the Rockwell Axles? I'm just asking because I'm in the planning steps of building a vehicle with Rockwell Axles would be nice to know what your complete drivetrain is Engine, Axles, Transmission, Transfer Case, Driveshaft, Exhaust, Fuel Pump, as well as the computer system and any upgrades to the computer system.

My buggy build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

[/CENTER]
keller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2015, 11:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Quote:
Look at it like this: With 46" tall tires and 6.72:1 gearing, its like running a 5.00:1 ratio on stock street tires.

Its allot of weight to get rotating though. However once it's moving, its not that stressful on other components. In town, crap mileage. Highway with and overdrive transmission, you should get roughly stock mpg.

Heck, I can move my rig around the yard just by twisting the front pinion by hand or with a drill motor and socket.
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2015, 12:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Quote:
No, but I've seen a Rockwell in a daily driver...

Old 04-29-2015, 08:43 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 15354
Send a message via AIM to iniviate
Quote:

that's not my truck. i personally wouldn't run 2.5 tons on the street.

it sounds like you're in well over your head though. good luck.

edit: it looks like just about every question you asked was already answered in the link.

Last edited by iniviate; 04-29-2015 at 08:45 AM.
iniviate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Go do some research. You've got many hours of searching and reading to do before you ask questions. good luck with it.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 571754
Eaton Fuller Automatic Transmissions

Does anyone use 18,13, or 10 speed automatic transmissions (eaton ultrashift, eaton autoshift, etc. ) I was thinking having multiple gears allows to keep the engine turning at low to very low rpms for increased reliability and less wear on the engine.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109328
I have driven my truck around 40 miles with the 9R20 tires. Braking is GREAT. It stops better than it ever did with the factory disc setup, you can stop the truck with your big toe .

Gearing is pretty low, but not unbearable. I am spinning 3 grand at 65-70mph, with a larger tire it will be perfect as this will be up around 85mph.

As for noise, they make very little. Seriously. I was concerned after reading on some different forums but I can barely hear some whining above my exhaust, nothing to be concerned about. Bottom line, I should have done this swap a LONG time ago.

Wheels are done, picking them up this weekend. Shocks are ordered, hoping to get them next week. In the mean time the front clip is getting painted black and I am in search of a new rear bumper as mine is bent.

The only major thing left is to install the indexing ring on the transfer case. I had to rotate the front axle to get caster angles to 6 degrees positive and it put a bind on my front driveline. I will rotate the transfer case down 30 degrees or so and this problem will be solved.

Edit*
Someone asked about MPG. I am getting 15 on the highway with the 9R20's and my V10

Derek
Attached Images

Last edited by Ho Shorts; 08-03-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109328
Another thing I am considering is buying this high steer arm so my steering angle isn't so god awful. It would require me reworking the track bar bracket on the frame side, but I believe it would be money and time well spent.

Derek
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho Shorts View Post
Offroad I prefer pinion brakes as you can lose around 250 pounds per axle and you can run without a booster, but on the street the stock drums are the way to go.
The pinion brakes don't work as good, correct? I would think they get hot quick because they would turn so fast. Also, I guess you must have lockers because you lose brakes if a wheel lifts off the ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
The pinion brakes don't work as good, correct?
Incorrect.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109328
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
The pinion brakes don't work as good, correct? I would think they get hot quick because they would turn so fast. Also, I guess you must have lockers because you lose brakes if a wheel lifts off the ground.
Pinion brakes work great, really great. Great enough that you need to remove the booster and run just the master cylinder so you don't throw yourself through the windshield

The problem is excess heat build up at highway speeds as the rotor is turning 6.72 times every time the tire turns. In laments terms at 50mph your rotor is doing over 300mph.

On my old Rockwell truck with pinion brakes I did small stints on the road if we unloaded and had to do a mile or two to the trail head, they worked great except after 5 or 6 high speed stops the brake pads were smelling hot. I never had a problem at slow speeds but you get going 60mph and stop one time and the rotor would get 200 to 250 degrees so no good for street use.

Derek

Old 08-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109328
Not sure what vehicle you are putting them under, but if it happens to be a Ford Holdenon LLC makes a kit for $40 that retains your stock VSS sensor so your speedometer and ABS systems will still function.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in