Inadequate shocks for 37s? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 410201
Inadequate shocks for 37s?

I got a CCLB ford superduty weighing in at 7700 curb, 37" tires on steel 17x10 wheels. Probably 140ish pounds total.
Brand new monroe heavy duty shocks. Stock ride height.
First time driving the truck so I cant compare to anything else. But it feels to me the shocks are not able to damped the huge rolling mass vs a stock wheel.
When i go over bumps on the highway i get about 3-4 smaller jolting shocks after the initial bump. And dont get me started on washboarded dirt roads. Truck feels like it will shake apart.
On my old 2wd 91 cclb stock wheels when you hit a bump it just took it and nicely bounced up and down once.
This one liek i said, jolts 3-4 times after. Its not death wobble for sure. All steering components are new and steering is tight.

Thinking of bilsteins (cant afford kings). Plan on keeping it stock ride height.
can 4600 keep up with bigger tires? or do you need the 5100 for that?
Greg5OH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 187239
It's Tuesday somewhere.
scraptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5OH View Post
I got a CCLB ford superduty weighing in at 7700 curb, 37" tires on steel 17x10 wheels. Probably 140ish pounds total.
Brand new monroe heavy duty shocks. Stock ride height.
First time driving the truck so I cant compare to anything else. But it feels to me the shocks are not able to damped the huge rolling mass vs a stock wheel.
When i go over bumps on the highway i get about 3-4 smaller jolting shocks after the initial bump. And dont get me started on washboarded dirt roads. Truck feels like it will shake apart.
On my old 2wd 91 cclb stock wheels when you hit a bump it just took it and nicely bounced up and down once.
This one liek i said, jolts 3-4 times after. Its not death wobble for sure. All steering components are new and steering is tight.

Thinking of bilsteins (cant afford kings). Plan on keeping it stock ride height.
can 4600 keep up with bigger tires? or do you need the 5100 for that?
Call Fox and call bilstein.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 410201
bilstein just said yeah the 4600 will handle your tire fine, no other input or comments.
Ill see what fox says.
Im just not sure what its "supposed" to feel like. Ideally if i had a go pro i could see what is happening over bumps, but i dont.

or since im unloaded when this is happening, the shocks are overdamped for this condition. I have yet to put a decent load on it. Would it perhaps smooth out then?

Last edited by Greg5OH; 05-01-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 410201
anything to say about the rancho 9000s?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in