Reid Super Kingpin Knuckle - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2015, 06:59 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 103782
The 5.38s came out in 2012, I'm not sure when these other ratios became availible.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #52 (permalink)
hi-steer ninja

Member # 104639
nope, got mine around 2.5 years ago.. edit: mine are 5.38 and they were first batch..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FORDTECHGURU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2015, 06:34 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDTECHGURU View Post
nope, got mine around 2.5 years ago.. edit: mine are 5.38 and they were first batch..
the 4.88s are newer not the 5.38s
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 12:04 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 26821
Excuse my dumb arse question, what does the kingpin run in?

TRB?
uninformed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #55 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 20872
We're reviving this thread to update the progress on our Super Kingpin assembly. Production of the castings and forgings has begun and we're still on track to have parts available in the next month or two.

Since he's planning to run our Super Kingpin knuckles on his new axle, Kevin Yoder swung by our shop today to confirm the fitment of his new Rockwell-size RCV stub shafts that he just received. You need to see these toilet-plunger-size CV joints in person to have a full appreciation of how large and how well-made they are. Here you see it pictured next to a Rockwell 2.5-ton U-joint stub shaft and a Dana 60 1480 U-joint axle:
Attached Images

Manufacturers of Super Kingpin, Dana 60, 44, 30, 10-Bolt & JK knuckles and Turbo400 & Powerglide transmission cases.
(925) 935-3025 M-F 8-6pm PST

Built by racers for racers!
Made in the USA!
Reid Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #56 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 20872
Here are a few more photos taken while we played with the SLA prototype parts, RCV axle, 2005+ unitbearing, and kingpins:
Attached Images

Manufacturers of Super Kingpin, Dana 60, 44, 30, 10-Bolt & JK knuckles and Turbo400 & Powerglide transmission cases.

Made in the USA!
Old 11-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Looks tight for the boot.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 5952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
It should have at least .300" clearance with the boot.

Last edited by KYODER; 11-10-2015 at 08:22 PM.
KYODER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2015, 09:56 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 140878
Why upgraded everything but kingpins?

You said it will be for people who "need something much bigger" but looking at lower kingpin's bearing specifications I think the big guys will be pushing them beyond their specifications.

Timken Part Number 23100 - 23256-B, Tapered Roller Bearings - TSF (Tapered Single with Flange) Imperial On The Timken Company

Correct me if I'm looking at this wrong. I'm trying to visualize how the stock lower kingpin bearing will be up to the task AND better than 05+ ford D60's stock lower ball joint.
Attached Images

TrailTamer XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 5952
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailTamer XJ View Post

You said it will be for people who "need something much bigger" but looking at lower kingpin's bearing specifications I think the big guys will be pushing them beyond their specifications.

Timken Part Number 23100 - 23256-B, Tapered Roller Bearings - TSF (Tapered Single with Flange) Imperial On The Timken Company

Correct me if I'm looking at this wrong. I'm trying to visualize how the stock lower kingpin bearing will be up to the task AND better than 05+ ford D60's stock lower ball joint.

Ok, I will try and correct you.....or more of my take on It.

The new knuckle and C have a larger spread, so yes that is improved. Better leverage. I would not ever worry about the bearing failing. I don't see anyone pushing the limits of the bearing. If it was going to be used on a 20-30k pound truck yes I would say it needs a bigger bearing. But this new package allows bigger axles with a cheap ( compared to other aftermarket hubs) but strong hub assemble for those of us that are done with ball joints.

Ball joints have a history of failing when beat on. From wearing out quickly with full hydro to just shearing off. We had ball joint failures back in the rock crawling days from hard rolls.

The biggest reason I like the set up is It gets rid of standard 60 spindles and stub axles. Broken spindles and stub axle failures have been one of my biggest problems over the years.

Last edited by KYODER; 11-11-2015 at 07:46 AM.
KYODER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #61 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
That is some beef right there!
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 09:10 AM   #62 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
Quote:
Who's having problems with kingpins? The only real weak link in their design is solved by a spring eliminator kit and bronze bushings. Balljoints are notorious for giving people grief though, even the high-end ones. The SD's lower balljoint is only a little bigger than a D44 balljoint, and isn't the upper BJ the same size as a D44's?
RockMolester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 31158
I'm guessing someone that wanted to use live spindle could bypass the ford unit bearing and use either Dynatrac o Spyntec free spin spindle/hub instead?
Joel77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 150595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel77 View Post
I'm guessing someone that wanted to use live spindle could bypass the ford unit bearing and use either Dynatrac o Spyntec free spin spindle/hub instead?
There is no reason to use a spindle.

You would be working backwards using inferior parts like brakes and such.

The spidertrax Ultimate Unit Bearings are everything in one, and fully rebuildable. Looks like big money at first, but for all the parts you get, it's really a good value.

Ultimate Unit Bearings

Nat
Old 11-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #65 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
The Spidertrax UB's are for 99-04 axles. The Reid knuckles are for 05+ UB's. Thus, the Spidertrax UB's do not fit the Reid knuckles.

I'm betting Spidertrax has a plan for 05+ UB's in the future though.

patooyee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #66 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
There is no reason to use a spindle.

You would be working backwards using inferior parts like brakes and such.

The spidertrax Ultimate Unit Bearings are everything in one, and fully rebuildable. Looks like big money at first, but for all the parts you get, it's really a good value.

Ultimate Unit Bearings

Nat
This... And don't forget the smaller stub shaft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
The Spidertrax UB's are for 99-04 axles. The Reid knuckles are for 05+ UB's. Thus, the Spidertrax UB's do not fit the Reid knuckles.

I'm betting Spidertrax has a plan for 05+ UB's in the future though.
Pretty sure Spidertrax is working on a 05+ version. Build it, and they will come

10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, DynoMAX Exhaust, AllTech Motorsports, Radflo Shocks, PAC Racing Springs, JM Rigging Supply, Reid Racing, Rugged Radios, Trail-Gear, Life-Time LED Lights, RuffStuff Specialties, Randy's Racing Transmissions, A1 Performance Converters, Maxxis Tires, Jesse Haines Fab, CBR Performance, PRP Seats, Exhaust Solutions, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
Pretty sure Spidertrax is working on a 05+ version. Build it, and they will come
Are they working on a 4340 stub shaft too?
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 140878
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
yea i read it but the way its written slightly confused my dumbass i wasnt sure if they were somehow using their bronze upper bushings on the lower, i havnt had a problem with the stock lower bearings but others have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This is nice, I'm glad they stuck with the king pin, however with all the bearing and seals available I wonder why they stuck with the stock sized lowers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris demartini View Post
I've worked on a few 05-10 F350's and I'm not convinced that old school kingpins are stronger than the factory ball joints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMolester View Post
Who's having problems with kingpins? The only real weak link in their design is solved by a spring eliminator kit and bronze bushings. Balljoints are notorious for giving people grief though, even the high-end ones. The SD's lower balljoint is only a little bigger than a D44 balljoint, and isn't the upper BJ the same size as a D44's?
I can't find this post at this moment. I remember this guy having problem with the lower bearing failing.

I'm sure aren't many have problem with them but this super kingpin knuckles are for the "big guys" crowd, so I kinda can see how they can become an issue?
TrailTamer XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #69 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris demartini View Post
Are they working on a 4340 stub shaft too?
I called to ask and they said they are not. I have heard from several sources that they are working on the 05+ UB though. One could form a hypothesis that their UB may use their own proprietary stub from this.

patooyee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMolester View Post
Sounds a bit like the spindle conversion/ anti-unit bearing marketing stigma from just a few years ago and look at where we are now. I know some racers are having issues with the early super duty ball joints, but that knuckle assembly is different than the 05+ axles that these Reid parts are patterned after. That same knuckle spread that gives kyoder (and reid) confidence in the stock kingpin and bearing, also help the ball joints put up with a hell of a lot of abuse. Watch some Dale Larsen videos on youtube, aside from rcv shafts, that is a stock 05+ axle.

Last edited by Wilson; 11-11-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #71 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 20872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
There are a number of factors that place limitations on the clearances including the variety of joints people will use, strength optimization, the desired steering angles, casting & forging shifts, and aftermarket parts standards. We worked with several companies to ensure parts compatibility, including RCV who actually provided us with axle drawings around which we designed these knuckles. Fitment looks tight because the size of these components in photos throws off the visual scale, but there is plenty of room. We have a new machining fixturing technique which will ensure that any variance in the raw C forgings does not affect boot clearance on the finished parts.

Quote:

There are countless rockracers, bouncers, and mud trucks that have been punishing our Kingpin 60/70 knuckles and Cs for years, and the kingpins have proven to not be a weak link. Guys like Kevin Yoder who consistently break every other axle component aren't having problems with the kingpins. We have numerous dealers who are the industry's top axle builders, and we've received unanimous support from them for a kingpin design rather than ball joints. We also already make a ball joint highsteer knuckle for the Super Duty outers, so that niche is already covered for customers who would rather use ball joints. With the bigger spread between the kingpins and some other design upgrades, we've increased the overall strength of the current kingpin hardware far beyond what any ball joint design offers.

As stated earlier, the invention of spring eliminator kits and our bronze upper kingpin bushing have addressed the only real weak link in the 60/70 kingpin design. If the current kingpin parts eventually become a problem there is still a lot of room for further development of aftermarket upgrades, which should also be fully compatible between our new knuckle assembly and the Dana 60/70 since we've adopted an industry standard design.

Quote:
Absolutely. Anything that works on the Super Duty knuckle should work with these. (Note that Ford changed the brake calipers in the 2012.5 model year.)

Quote:
This... And don't forget the smaller stub shaft.
Lots of clearance in the rocks - no hubs to get hung up on trail obstacles.

Quote:
We of course spoke with our buddies at Spidertrax when we were designing these knuckles. They ought to be able to provide you with an update on their larger 2005+ form factor Ultimate Unit Bearings.

Made in the USA!
Old 11-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #72 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
I have never seen a lower bearing failure. But I have seen the bearing race get ripped out of the stock 60 lower. Usually due to high load impact (hitting a tree, etc..)
Yes, I found there are 2 different inner C's in the 60's; a std and a lighter (not including the early Dodge/Ford and Dana 70, which are the same with different bores).

I do feel as long as there is enough material around lower bearing (like a heavy stock or aftermarket) there is no worry.

I do wish that the aftermarket goes away from the upper kingpin and goes to a bearing like the Welder Boy or a stock Toyota.....

Offroad Design ♦ Atomic MC ♦ Jantz Engineering
K5runner@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I do wish that the aftermarket goes away from the upper kingpin and goes to a bearing like the Welder Boy or a stock Toyota.....
id much rather have the kingpin and bronze bushing then a bearing

the toyota guys swap out the bearings for trail gears king pin style bushings

ive ran both and never had a problem, ive blown plenty of bearings in the toyota knuckles though.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #74 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
id much rather have the kingpin and bronze bushing then a bearing

the toyota guys swap out the bearings for trail gears king pin style bushings

ive ran both and never had a problem, ive blown plenty of bearings in the toyota knuckles though.
Ohhh okay I didn't know that. Good to know...

Offroad Design ♦ Atomic MC ♦ Jantz Engineering
K5runner@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
I can't find this post at this moment. I remember this guy having problem with the lower bearing failing.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/33182265-post52.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in