Dana 60 kingpin spring ? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2015, 02:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 429346
Dana 60 kingpin spring ?

On a Kingpin Dana 60 with the spring style cap, when the axle is jacked up should the knuckle be able to move down and up? Should I be able to push down on the outer knuckle and compress the kingpin spring and have it move down to where the upper portion of the outer knuckle contacts the top of the inner C? If so , how easily should I be able to move it?

I have a bad wobble in my front end that comes and goes, but it doesn't come and go with speed like an unbalanced tire, plus I just had tires balanced just to be sure, so I jacked it up and my drivers side knuckle seems really easy to move and it looks like the lower kingpin bearing/seal is sticking out of the inner "c" a bit . I have a springless steering arm on the passenger side so that knuckle doesn't move at all so I am wondering if I need to rebuild the drivers side kingpin and/or get a springless arm for that side too. Thanks for any help you can give!
Silvercrawlertj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2015, 03:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
no it shouldnt.

Buy two of these and have fun

DANA 60 KINGPIN REBUILD KIT

For future reference, that shit goes here.

Newbie General 4x4 Discussion - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2015, 05:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 429346
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall View Post
no it shouldnt.

For future reference, that shit goes here.

Newbie General 4x4 Discussion - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
Sorry, somehow I have never noticed the Newbie General 4x4. I have always looked for topic related sections like a Drivetrain or Axles section and if I don't find one I just go to General.

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 16561
The springless arms and bronze bushing will fix that. I've shimmed mine with washers to put more preload on the spring too.

Gone but not forgotten: 81 toyota truggy - LT1 - Th400+203+atlas3.0 - 60 / 14 - 42s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dobsogj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
A large washer(s) under the spring will help bump the preload back up to acceptable psi.

It also depends on how fat you are, how hard ar eyou pushing, and how heavy youre tires are(if still installed)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 429346
Quote:
Originally Posted by total newb View Post
A large washer(s) under the spring will help bump the preload back up to acceptable psi.

It also depends on how fat you are, how hard ar eyou pushing, and how heavy youre tires are(if still installed)
The tires are still installed and are 37"-1250R17 MTR Kevlar on Raceline Monster Alum. Wheels so not the heaviest combo but not the lightest. But it doesn't require much effort at all to move the knuckle up and down all the way. I can also feel it move in the steering wheel when I turn all the way to the right, and when I slowly drive over a bump on that side only. I didn't realize what it was until now, but I have been able to feel it for a little while. It feels like the knuckle "tips" over and moves the wheel and then when coming out of the turn it doesn't want to automatically return to center until I feel the knuckle straighten back up and then it acts normal. I am gonna rebuild the kingpin and convert that side to the springless design because it seems like the most likely problem, especially seeing how easy it is to move the knuckle around. I might try the washers just as a test before ordering the parts, but I can't imagine it should be that easy to compress that spring and move the knuckle around. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 09-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Its practicaly free to jamb washers in. Do thatfirst and see ifit helps. Then buy your arms.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 429346
Quote:
Originally Posted by total newb View Post
Its practicaly free to jamb washers in. Do thatfirst and see ifit helps. Then buy your arms.
Actually as I went to tear into it to add the washers and upon a closer inspection I found that the outer knuckle had a crack running from where the center post goes through the knuckle out to the axle side edge directly between the bolts that hold the cap on. Not sure if it happened because of the worn out spring or not or how long it's been there. I guess it's time for Solid or Reid knuckles. If I get Solid I will have to get a new High Steer Arm but since they are less $ anyhow it evens it out. So which do you recommend? Solid or Reid?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Whoa. Ford d60?

Old 09-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
is this a DD? and ford?
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2015, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 429346
Yes, it's a Ford D60. But I just went to look at it again and the reason it caught my eye was cause there was a thin line where the paint and grease and dirt had flaked off with what looked like a crack, to get a better look and see how far it went I wiped it off and now it just looks like one of many scratches and machine marks so IDK if it's actually cracked. I'll prolly have to tear it down before I can say for sure, which was the plan anyhow, but is a hairline crack common? Or is it usually a decent size crack on a part like that?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 429346
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall View Post
is this a DD? and ford?
Oh, and yes it's a DD in a TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in