37" HUMVEE take offs - Worth it or not? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 204236
37" HUMVEE take offs - Worth it or not?

Searching about military tires reveals two things:

1. There are a ton of people/companies selling them/people wanting to buy them.
2. People generally say they suck.

So whatís the deal? Iím looking for a cheap set of 37s for an all-purpose type rig. I might do some rocks but Iíll never see the Rubicon. Honestly theyíll see more sand than anything because I hunt/wheel the NJ Pine Barrens and surf fish a lot. Iím asking because even though people say they suck it seems like there are still a hell of a lot of people buying them.
Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 57031
They suck.....kinda. Having said that I have a set on our F250. They do ok off road, use ours in the sand mainly and they do ok. Where they suck is on the street. They are mostly round, hold air, and get the job done, and are cheap. However they just dont ride as good as any other 37's I have owned. As soon as your into the last 20-25% of tread life they get pretty slippery on the road. I wouldn't be afraid to get another set for the right price.
poorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
zen as fuck

Member # 115122
They are OK. I have a few sets. Don't get them with the feathered camber wear or They shake like hell about 50mph. They are not bloggers or treps. They are pretty tough especially for the price. And they are a mother to mount on a non beadlock wheel. Mine are on 9.75" wide wheel. I needed a second set of hands and a beadblaster to seat them on.

Last edited by gmcxt; 09-26-2015 at 02:08 PM.
gmcxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 41063
They are good for a cheap set of 37" tires but they are used and made for a very heavy military vehicle, not a light duty pickup or smaller vehicle. They have very stiff sidewalls and a hard compound so they wear ok but don't flex or stick very well. X2 on the mounting on "normal" rims bringing the suck. Mine ride pretty well on my Ramcharger with Airsoft BBs for balancing but the ride is entirely dependent on the condition of the tires you buy and what you consider "normal". My Ramcharger rides pretty good to me, but it's a leaf sprung truck, not a 4WD minivan with a bed like the newer trucks. IMO, they are worth a try if you want cheap 37s without a lot of hassle but keep firmly in mind what you paid for them and don't expect to be amazed by their performance.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 53528
ive been running them on my tow rig for about 3-4 yrs now(on my second set) and they are a great tire for that purpose, mainly since i use the truck on rough steep dirt roads quite a bit. i wouldnt run them on a wheeling rig unless i was flat broke and thats all i could afford, if that was the case i would run them. if i could afford a better tire i would do so in a heartbeat, i look at them as a very aggressive all terrain tire for a work truck for almost half the price for a comparable new tire in the same size range.

ether makes them a lot easier to mount if they have been sitting on a pallet for a while, not something i enjoy doing but it gets the job done
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
They are good for a cheap set of 37" tires but they are used and made for a very heavy military vehicle, not a light duty pickup or smaller vehicle. They have very stiff sidewalls and a hard compound so they wear ok but don't flex or stick very well. X2 on the mounting on "normal" rims bringing the suck. Mine ride pretty well on my Ramcharger with Airsoft BBs for balancing but the ride is entirely dependent on the condition of the tires you buy and what you consider "normal". My Ramcharger rides pretty good to me, but it's a leaf sprung truck, not a 4WD minivan with a bed like the newer trucks. IMO, they are worth a try if you want cheap 37s without a lot of hassle but keep firmly in mind what you paid for them and don't expect to be amazed by their performance.
i didnt balance either of my sets and they ride great on my leaf sprung tow rig, no wobbles or anything, i was rather surprised
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in