GM power steering pump reservoir upgrades - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2015, 07:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
GM power steering pump reservoir upgrades

I've been searching for some different ideas since I'm having problems with my PSC pumps. I don't want to put the same thing back in my Jeep that was there before just to have the same problem again. After having my last round of fits with the PSC pump I started to get multiple people telling me that they also have problems with their pump. So I'm asking for help in figuring something else out by asking a specific question.

I am running a complete setup from PSC. It is this kit:

http://thedoubleduke.com/pics/Silver...Cfhk100pxr.jpg

According to their site it is a P-Pump(sorry I don't know much about terminology.. but I'm working on it). From what I gathered the P-Pump is the only pump that will work in the stock truck brackets on GM motors.

While in Moab I started having problems with my pump and it was suggested to me to replace the PSC pump with a GM Duramax pump to get me by. I pulled the PSC pump out of the PSC can and put the can on the new pump. I immediately started having problems with that pump so I'm looking to do something different.

Having around a month to sit and think about it I'm not so sure I like this can setup. It seems like the amount of fluid in the can will help the problem I'm having. So that is my question. If you add more capacity of fluid around the pump by using a different can is that a bad thing? I don't see the negatives but I wanted to ask others for their opinion.

What I have in mind is to use a stock style GM reservoir with some minor modifications. I was thinking it would be pretty easy to cut the top neck off of this style reservoir and tig up a new -12an male fitting so I can still run the PSC remote reservoir. You'd also have to modify the pressure port on this reservoir to accept the fittings for the pressure line. I don't believe this is the correct reservoir for my pump. I just grabbed it off the interwebs for reference.

Would adding more fluid capacity that close to the pump help cavitation? Please understand that I don't fully grasp how cavitation works. But that is what was explained to me as my problem. How I understand it is that the suction side of the pump has a restriction(even though I'm running a -12an line) and that is causing the problem. So by increasing the fluid around the pump will this decrease the restriction? I'd guess the cavitation is happening inside the can. But again... I'm just guessing.

This is a picture of my pump.

The remote reservoir I'm using is the upgraded style with the filter inside.

And this is how the suction hose is routed.

So I don't think it is the location of the parts that is the problem. The reservoir is the highest point in the system. So just trying to think of different options. Any help is appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
Dookey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2015, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Cavitation is turblance in the fluid. Hp boat people will some times refer to it as boiling the prop, when the prop spins so hard and fast that the water doesnt give enough resistance to push the boat. Kinda of like burning the tires off on a car.

Yes a larger can that will hold more fluid @ the pump can help, also adding a cool will help keep the fluid more stabil and consistant.

With as straight and short as your res line is i doubt you have a restriction issue.

In general, a p-pump is a p-pump, the prmary differances are the cans, flow tuning, and shaft size/type.

The cans come in a 1000 different angles and fitting outlets/dirrections. But i had an incrediably hard time finding just the can for sale. All i wanted was a hydro boost can (similar to your psc)

Looking at your brackets you might try a 2000s chevy truck. Has a stagard can instead of angled, might work good.

total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 108006
can you replace the hose between the pump and the remote reservoir with a clear piece to see how much flow you are getting and to see if the fluid is aerated?
JunkCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
Build a big ass reservoir and put a radiator cap on it so it holds head pressure. Solved all my steering problems.

I built mine from a 1/2 gallon hydraulic filter can blank, welded fittings and baffles in it. I got a steel radiator filler neck from fillernecksupply.com

Currently running a 7psi cap. May go higher to see what happens.

Last edited by TBItoy; 10-17-2015 at 03:24 PM.
TBItoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 102813
The selling point on Howe for me was in the flow details of their whole system.

Like TBI said, get a pressurized rez. That and ditch the tube style sweeps. The inner dia is larger in a block style 90* or 45*.

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 391682
Glad you posted this up. I don't mean to hijack but are there psc pumps that bad? Everyone I know complains about them. I'm about to use the same kit for my full hydro setup and have no issues with my gm p pump on my hydro assist. Wonder if I should just go with a stock gm pump instead of the one in that kit.
89crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBItoy View Post
Build a big ass reservoir and put a radiator cap on it so it holds head pressure. Solved all my steering problems.

I built mine from a 1/2 gallon hydraulic filter can blank, welded fittings and baffles in it. I got a steel radiator filler neck from fillernecksupply.com

Currently running a 7psi cap. May go higher to see what happens.
Would it be possible to do the same thing with my current reservoir? I could have someone tig weld an aluminum radiator neck to the existing PSC reservoir cap. Is that what you're talking about?

|
Old 10-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Yup.

total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookey View Post
Would it be possible to do the same thing with my current reservoir? I could have someone tig weld an aluminum radiator neck to the existing PSC reservoir cap. Is that what you're talking about?
Yep, how much fluid does it hold? I'd try to extend it or add a bulge in the side and make it as big as possible.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Well crap. I didn't know we we're going to get all scientifical.

I'll measure the reservoir.

|
Old 10-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 67357
Are you burning the pumps up ?
KyTrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2015, 05:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyTrash View Post
Are you burning the pumps up ?
I don't know what this means. First pump was toast when I sent it back. Started whining in Moab so I replaced it hoping I was out in front of it.

|
Old 10-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 67357
Are you running a cooler ? I don't see one.
KyTrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
I had a cooler in the grill off of a bracket they sell for TJ's up until they told me to remove it because it was -6an on a -8an return line. They said they didn't believe that to be the problem but to remove it and check what happened.

So not it goes orbital to reservoir in a pretty straight shot.

|
Old 10-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Quote:
This.

I burned through 3-4 pumps in less than 2 years (stock/modified).

Added a cooler, they lasted a year.

Put in a PSC, it's been 3 years.

(I should note, I'm not full Hydro).
Old 10-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 24859
I have your same set up as pictured on atrial rig with hydro assist and it works fine for trail riding, however if I am runnin higher rpms and running fast it heats up, you can feel the steering slow a little. I have a cooler and IMO if you were runnin that set up and runnin hard it would heat up and cause problems. A cooler and burp the system when filling, they will seem full then you use it a little and see if it takes more fluid. Another note, Royal Purple synthetic.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5114
Send a message via AIM to PARANOID56
i also think a cooler might be the proper fix. as lots of stock pumps have remote reservoirs.

this is factory and looks similar to yours.

2003 Toyota Taco double cab
2013 Suzuki DRZ
TLCA member #12202
PARANOID56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 53453
What application is the above pump?

DirtyComanche is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 06:10 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 123514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
What application is the above pump?
One I have found it on is 84 k30 6.2 I think its the last one on vatozones page.

I don't build it pretty I build it to function.
frikenwoodro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 101946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookey View Post

This is a picture of my pump.

Sorry to Hijack,

Where did you get that small black brace on the rear of your pump that ties it back to the Block? I'm running the same pump and same stock bracket but I think mine is a little bent Pump looks crooked and this brace might help me.
h8to wrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
What is your issue?
I see you said someone told you that you had cavatation issues, but what are you feeling.
I like the PSC and their pumps, but Howe makes a better resivior.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #22 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8to wrk View Post
Sorry to Hijack,

Where did you get that small black brace on the rear of your pump that ties it back to the Block? I'm running the same pump and same stock bracket but I think mine is a little bent Pump looks crooked and this brace might help me.
Came on the motor. So search for a 2008 Cadillac Escalade.

|
Old 10-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #23 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
What is your issue?
I see you said someone told you that you had cavatation issues, but what are you feeling.
Pump is whining. PSC states that is cavitation. When it gets really bad you can feel the pump grinding through the steering wheel.

|
Old 10-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16829
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
What is your issue?

I think PSC agrees with your statement. Howe's reservoir is pressurized with a 7 psi cap,
Howe says the pressure helps stabilize the fluid. PSC vents to air no pressure. PSC just came out with this pressurized overflow catch can.
Maybe they are seeing what Howe already knew?
Remote anti-splash vent w/ 6# pressure relief valve - Reservoirs & Overflow Bottles - Offroad Catalog - Motorsport Specific Products

I'm fighting a similar problem with my system, I'm on my third attempt of changing shit around now. My system worked flawlessly before a motor swap and PSC pump, now it's giving me nothing but headaches.

Quote:
doesn't mean I can't be a douche bag
Quote:
10-4, thanks for the Cliff's notes... I don't think I ever read the "bounty thread" so I was/am clueless on this. Sounds to me like camo is a HGTD douchebag though.

Last edited by offroad_joe; 10-19-2015 at 09:59 AM.
offroad_joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
So on the topic of adding a pressurized cap...

Would you all agree that the simple purpose of building pressure in the system is to keep fluid at the pump? Or is there more to it?

|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in