California Smog test experts: Oxygen Heater monitor not ready - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2015, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 70340
Exclamation California Smog test experts: Oxygen Heater monitor not ready

Guys from Cali need your advice, please.

Is it true that here in Cali a car can pass the smog check with only one incomplete monitor. Is this true? The guy at the smog check said "no. that monitor must get complete".

Here my terror story:

I purchased a 2006 Rubicon TJ with 50,000 miles. It did not passed the smog check because it had 2 monitors not ready: Evap and OH (oxygen sensor heater).

10 miles - 20 minutes after the EVAP monitor completed but OH monitor remains not ready.

I have driven the TJ for about 100 miles, following different instructions supposedly to complete every monitor and still... the holy OH monitor still not ready. I have spent like 7 days driving it, at hwy speeds, at road speeds, idling, idling while in Drive, <Turn on - Turn off- Turn on?, at 20-25mph, at 45mph, at 50-59 mph, at 60pmh, at 65mph, 70 mph, etc. etc. etc. but nothing!!

So all monitors are completed but the OH.

If someone can confirm my TJ can pass the smog check with that monitor on please let me know and I will just go to another smog station.

I'm very very frustrated!

Tnx.

WTB:
* LSX/6L80 complete takeout
* Complete DE Hydro steering system
* Millermatic Multiprocess or 255 MIG
* Tuffy Overhead Console
Jorge Meza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2015, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/27832121-post9.html
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2015, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 70340
Hum... very interesting...

I currently have a Matco tools MD60 code advisor attached to my TJ while driving it so I am sure every monitor is complete except for the OH

Guess I'll have to go back to the smog station and ask them toperform the smog test as it is right now...

WTB:
* LSX/6L80 complete takeout
* Complete DE Hydro steering system
* Millermatic Multiprocess or 255 MIG
* Tuffy Overhead Console
Jorge Meza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 45202
Key off, unplug the o2, start vehicle, once running it should set a cel. Crawl under it while still running and plug back in. DONT clear the code. It will clear itself and set the readyness monitor also. Usually a few key cycles and short drive distant should be enough.

It's worked for me, over and over again. Something about Chrysler products that I have this issue with.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
The monitors set when they are ready.
I've never seen the algorithm that worked.
Just keep driving and soon all the ready monitors will set.
Yes, in CA, not all monitors need to be set to pass a smog test, but it's application specific.
Yours needs to be turned on.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
The monitors set when they are ready.
I've never seen the algorithm that worked.
Just keep driving and soon all the ready monitors will set.
Yes, in CA, not all monitors need to be set to pass a smog test, but it's application specific.
Yours needs to be turned on.
Yep, application specific and they just updated and added a group to the list that has to have all the monitors ready. My Dodge has typically only had one or two but never all three. I could drive it any way I wanted until the tires fell off and it wouldn't ready the third monitor. They would eventually toss it on the machine, pass it and get me going for another two years. That is up until this year.

It would not ready the third and due to me getting the lifetime warranty on emissions equipment notice in the mail from Chrysler, I took it in for a re-flash and afterwards it passed with flying colors.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Meza View Post
Guys from Cali need your advice, please.

Is it true that here in Cali a car can pass the smog check with only one incomplete monitor. Is this true? The guy at the smog check said "no. that monitor must get complete".

Here my terror story:

I purchased a 2006 Rubicon TJ with 50,000 miles. It did not passed the smog check because it had 2 monitors not ready: Evap and OH (oxygen sensor heater).

10 miles - 20 minutes after the EVAP monitor completed but OH monitor remains not ready.

I have driven the TJ for about 100 miles, following different instructions supposedly to complete every monitor and still... the holy OH monitor still not ready. I have spent like 7 days driving it, at hwy speeds, at road speeds, idling, idling while in Drive, <Turn on - Turn off- Turn on?, at 20-25mph, at 45mph, at 50-59 mph, at 60pmh, at 65mph, 70 mph, etc. etc. etc. but nothing!!

So all monitors are completed but the OH.

If someone can confirm my TJ can pass the smog check with that monitor on please let me know and I will just go to another smog station.

I'm very very frustrated!

Tnx.
Don't know if it applies, but you can take a look at this guy's solution and see.

02 Sensors won't ready? Codes after replacing 02's? Read and try this. - JeepForum.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in