Pirate 4x4 banner

Engine Pulling Preference

890 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Rock Taxi 
#1 ·
I'm pulling an LT1 out of a 93 Camaro with tranny attached, and was looking at it trying to decide the best way. Anyone have any experience with pulling these? It almost looks easier to unbolt the front suspension saddle and pull it out the bottom versus trying to snake it out the top...

Ideas?

Ed

#3 ·
LandCroozer said:
If I remember correctly, the factory gets 'em in there from underneath.

Good luck, and don't forget the pics. I've never done / seen a motor swap on this style car.

-tom
These dang things are really shoehorned in there. I think I will pull it out the bottom. It's a few more bolts, but with the goofy cowl/firewall on them, it looks to be much easier.

Ed

#4 ·
I wish I could have showed you a pic of when we pulled my motor out. It was in a flat fender, and we go a huge ass piece of rebar must have been 1 1/4 thick, fed it threw the cage, Built a huge saw house to rest the other side on, and pulled it out with a come-a-long.

Let's just say we got bored, and tired to find the most hick way to pull a motor.

#5 ·
Rock Taxi said:

These dang things are really shoehorned in there. I think I will pull it out the bottom. It's a few more bolts, but with the goofy cowl/firewall on them, it looks to be much easier.

Ed
Yep, a buddy of mine has one. I know how they are packed in there. If you don't care about the rest of the car, I'd try liberal use of a cutting torch. If you try this, don't forget the pics FO SHO! :D

-t

#6 ·
pop off the nuts for the struts, and undo the brakelines and steering shaft to the rack, then get the bolts holding the subframe to the unibody. do same with trans crossmember, and then do the normal, hoses, wiring disconnects and cables and stuff, then use the engine hoist to lift the front of the car (unless you have a lift) then roll the motor and trans out with the subframe. same thing on mustangs and a lot of front wheel drive cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.