TTB budget build: A Blazer named Rodney - Page 14 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #326 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_white_shadow View Post
Reverse stanced

Looks good dude.

Always going against the grain
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #327 (permalink)

Member # 135683
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post
That was my original thought but nearly everything in the salvage yard is just as rusty or destroyed all together. I already went there a few times and my options are pretty limited. Iíve thought about using LOTS of expanding foam to form something but thatís a little hack for me with the quantity Iíd need

I may keep my eyes open around Chattanooga for one with a decent body but junk powertrain. My work has a part warehouse down that way and we frequently drive from WI to there and back for work. I could pull something home and swap tubs then.
I hear you on finding a rust free body since MD likes their salt in winter. I really only meant the section there at fuel filler not entire tub but hey if you do find a nice one for cheap. Either that or truck cab and extra short bed like the newer crew cabs have
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2018, 07:18 AM   #328 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
I hear you on finding a rust free body since MD likes their salt in winter. I really only meant the section there at fuel filler not entire tub but hey if you do find a nice one for cheap. Either that or truck cab and extra short bed like the newer crew cabs have
Lol, I've thought about that too but I really need that back bench for the kiddos. What I HAVE thought about was putting a Bronco body on it Maybe something antique too. Who knows, this is just a rusty shitbox winterbeater

Old 09-11-2018, 07:31 AM   #329 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Little work done last night in between coddling screaming kids, wrapping twisted/sprained ankles, and generally "enjoying" being back from a kid free weekend with the wife...

Rear diff is inspected, has fresh oil, and is confirmed that it's loaded with 3.55 gears. Only thing left to do is install a vent once I find my check valves...

Moved onto the front and hefted the diff up. Being a dad is amazing, but man I miss the days of having time for the gym. Got a hard reminder last night holding that diff up that I'm quite what I used to be...

Once the diff was up I was able to take a look at the clearance issues between the diff and exhaust. I wasn't able to pull the DS spring out and put it at full stuff last night due to kids, but with a tape measure I was able to figure out that the header collector just needs to be notched and angled to match the curve of the tub floor and I should be clear to run the exhaust straight back past the tcase to meet up with the PS after that. Only issue is I don't have a clue where to put the cat on that side as where the exhaust will run will be too close to the frame where all the harnesses and lines are and behind the tcase is too far away for the cat and I don't think it would get hot enough to do much of anything but clog. Not running a cat isn't an option for me either, so I may have to get creative or drop some coin on a much smaller cat. Anyone with any experience on TTB Blazers care to chime in on where they located the cat?

If you look in the upper left of the picture you'll see the collector flange. It's inline with the yoke and at full stuff the driveshaft will make sweet metal love to the exhaust.

Name:  IMG_2635.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  74.0 KB

This picture shows everything trying to be in the same place at the same time. You can also see I have a healthy amount of uptravel

Name:  IMG_2636.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  41.0 KB

I pulled the stock driveshaft out to take a look at it and the slip is seized as well as 4" too long and not nearly enough angle in the joints for the TTB. I dug around on my axle rack and found a Chevy front shaft with a double cardon with more than enough angle/travel, much smaller diameter tube, and only needs to be shortened a few inches.

Name:  IMG_2640.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  59.9 KB

I'll get the spring out, diff at full stuff, build the front driveshaft and install it, then see what has to happen with that header. I'm going to have to move the bung for the 3 wire O2 sensor to the side as where the flange will be will put it directly into the floor of the tub. Overall it shouldn't be too bad and with the wife working nights all this week the kids will go to bed early and I'll tackle this a few hours at a time. Hoping to have this on the road this weekend for some longer test drives.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #330 (permalink)

Member # 481234
Why you need a meow cat in the blazer?
Juicysluice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #331 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicysluice View Post
Why you need a meow cat in the blazer?
Better than storing them in the engine bay
Old 09-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #332 (permalink)

Member # 135683
I think you should be able to fit a small "performance" cat on the cross over for driver side and then in downpipe on passenger side. They have started making them as small as a resonator where it just looks like a 6-7" bump in pipe, usually though I would think one cat right after the Y would be ok if you can heat shield it decent and again using the small diameter performance cat you might be able to sneak it in before the T-case.

This is just a quick glance search but this lists the overall length at 10.5 and I would imagine it has about 2-2.5" of just pipe on each end so really converter itself should be quite small.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aph-602386/all

Last edited by 350TacoZilla; 09-11-2018 at 01:27 PM.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #333 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
I think you should be able to fit a small "performance" cat on the cross over for driver side and then in downpipe on passenger side. They have started making them as small as a resonator where it just looks like a 6-7" bump in pipe, usually though I would think one cat right after the Y would be ok if you can heat shield it decent and again using the small diameter performance cat you might be able to sneak it in before the T-case.

This is just a quick glance search but this lists the overall length at 10.5 and I would imagine it has about 2-2.5" of just pipe on each end so really converter itself should be quite small.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aph-602386/all
Thanks for the link, I'll probably buy 2 of those: one per side.

I won't have a Y pipe as the driveshaft is in the way of making that an option. So the DS and PS exhaust tubes will run along the frame rails and tie together behind the tcase so I can have a single 3" dump behind the axle.

If I wrapped the harnesses and lines in the heat shield that mcutler used off of a Powerchoke in his Manche build thread and build a heat shield coming off the cat I should be fine I'd think.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:54 AM   #334 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 232666
Those appear to be rusty's joints to me. Trust me when i say this though, they are not worth rebuilding. They will not stand up to the weight of a full size rig for more than 5000 miles. Ask me how i know lol i have a spanner wrench and some joints I'll give you if you really want to stick with them. None of mine are in good shape though.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:17 AM   #335 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 447762
Hey Whitneyj! It looks like someone stole your bumper last night.

Dressing the welds/knocking off the weld spatter
Name:  IMG_0656.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  62.7 KB

Post blast
Name:  IMG_0659.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  108.7 KB

After degrease
Name:  IMG_0664.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  27.1 KB

First topcoat
Name:  IMG_0668.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  38.5 KB

Second topcoat
Name:  IMG_0675.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  38.4 KB

Like I said last night, there is a little more peel than I would've hoped for, but it's good enough for who it's for
Old 10-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #336 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Forced myself to get into the garage again last night after taking some time off. Had a few things in life smack me right in the mouth and I've been busy handling other more important issues.

Header was notched to clear the front diff pinion at full stuff. I just need to order a new O2-sensor bung as the one that was welded onto this header originally was all boogered up. Flowtech headers are cheap for a reason...

Name:  IMG_2758.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  86.6 KB

The driveshaft I pulled off the Blazer used the correct u-joints but was a 3" diameter tube. I found another Chevy front shaft in my pile with a CV and 2" tube, but the u-joint was wrong for the pinion side. Just a quick swap-a-roo between the 2 driveshafts and I now have the correct u-joint for the pinion, I just need to press the flange off of it.

Name:  IMG_2760.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  72.6 KB

With both headers installed I got to work on the Y-pipe. I used the original one I slapped together and just made it work. Yes it looks like shit, no I don't care.

Name:  IMG_2761.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  72.3 KB
Name:  IMG_2762.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  74.4 KB

Pictures don't do a well enough job showing all the bends and pie cuts to get this thing to clear everything the TTB has that's in the way. Which is everything

Last on the list prior to this being a DD-er is to finish running the exhaust out the rear, twist the camber bushings the complete opposite way, and finish bolting on that secksy-ass bumper @mwhitenoise painted for me. It's the nicest thing on the Blazer by a lot

Last edited by whitneyj; 10-10-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #337 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Update, sans pictures however. Realized I never grabbed any just now.... But, anyhow he runs, he drives, and he pops fusible links in the driveway!....

Everything was put together Friday and test drove Saturday. It pulled HARD to the right, the steering wheel isn't centered, and it has significantly less steering to the right than left (due to the steering wheel not being centered). Spent Saturday night with my brother adjusting the caster/camber bushings and figured out how to get nearly 5*'s of caster from them and 0*'s camber froom the adjustable bushings by installing them not how the instructions told us to . Toe was at dead nuts zero and I adjusted the draglinks as far as I could but can't center the steering wheel. I may have the draglinks mixed up side to side as they're identical looking but one is 2 1/4" longer due to Chebby's weird idler arm not being the same distance to the knuckle as the pitman arm...

With the new alignment it drove very well, just a little wander from the zero toe in. I'll figure out the draglink situation and then adjust toe then.

So with 15 successful test driven miles I fired it up this morning and let it idle for 15-20 mins. Tossed the kiddo in to take to school, backed out of the driveway and boom. Shut off. Crank, but no start, no lights, and no power to anything but the starter and the windshield wipers. I'll assume I popped a fusible link but didn't have time to look into it. We piled into the wife's VW Beetle and off to school work we went At least it's a turbo...

However it was a relief that it drives so well. Overall pretty stoked, just needs some tweaking here or there.

Was this 2-3 month long project worth the 1 year and 2 months it actually took? Hell no. Moral of the story: Don't think you can get actual work done with 3 kids who were all sick on and off, each alternating turns, throughout the entire year while having a wife that works, goes to school full time, does lots of volunteer work, and while tackling major household projects (excavated my foundation amongst other things). Next time just replace the bad $9 ball joint...
Old 10-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #338 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Moral of the story: Don't think you can get actual work done with 3 kids who were all sick on and off, each alternating turns, throughout the entire year while having a wife that works, goes to school full time, does lots of volunteer work, and while tackling major household projects (excavated my foundation amongst other things). Next time just replace the bad $9 ball joint...
Don't worry. It'll be worth it when the TTB laughs and asks for more after your wife drives it into a ditch.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018, 07:57 AM   #339 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
Don't worry. It'll be worth it when the TTB laughs and asks for more after your wife drives it into a ditch.
With 7" of uptravel I'd hope so

Lord knows the stock Chebby junk didn't like when I did that. Shook like crazy after that last one
Old 10-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #340 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:

Was this 2-3 month long project worth the 1 year and 2 months it actually took? Hell no. Moral of the story: Don't think you can get actual work done with 3 kids who were all sick on and off, each alternating turns, throughout the entire year while having a wife that works, goes to school full time, does lots of volunteer work, and while tackling major household projects (excavated my foundation amongst other things). Next time just replace the bad $9 ball joint...
Guess its time to start searching for your parents that left ya at the grand canyon?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #341 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
Guess its time to start searching for your parents that left ya at the grand canyon?

Name:  joe-dirt.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  78.1 KB
Old 12-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #342 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quick update, I put a few hundred miles on it and am 98% happy with how things turned out. I had to shorten one draglink and adjust the other to get the steering more centered as it turned more one way than the other. It's not perfect but it's tolerable now. The only thing I'm not happy with is the TTB is 1" further back than the factory was. The only way I could have resolved that would have been to relocate the frame side engine mount brackets and push the entire steering forward-neither of which I was willing to do.

The big thing is there's virtually no bumpsteer or weird steering issues. That was the primary thing I was worried about while building the funky steering bracket as Jesse Haines and Vetteboy really hammered those things with their build threads and a few convos on the side here and on FB.

I'm labeling this a success and now with as much time as I've put into it I'm either going to sell the TTB Blazer or start building new crossmembers on the tub and splicing in clean body panels. Not sure yet, but what I am sure about is this having kicked my ass for a year longer than it should have has me gun shy to start my 2 Jeep builds... If I keep this past winter it may end up with chromos, gears, and 35's and have a more permanent spot in the family...

Oh yeah, the starting issue ended up being a broken ground wire from the battery to the fender. I caught it by troubleshooting it at 10pm in the dark at the end of my long driveway once the kiddos were asleep. As I was moving around under the steering column troubleshooting the ignition switch I saw an arc by the trans temp gauge I installed. The coiled steel casing over the temp sender's copper signal wire was what had been providing ground for the entire cab and when we hit a bump it moved that wire off of the ashtray mount which removed ground for the cab. 15 min later and I have a new 8 gauge ground wire.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #343 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 447762
Some raggedy-ass OBS blazer showed up at work today.

Just busting your balls man, she looks good!

Name:  IMG_1677.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  102.9 KB

Last edited by mwhitenoise; 12-28-2018 at 06:51 AM.
mwhitenoise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2018, 07:05 AM   #344 (permalink)

Member # 3007
I thought rust was bad here in Iowa, but that had to be a blast to work around all that rust!
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2018, 07:28 AM   #345 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhitenoise View Post
Some raggedy-ass OBS blazer showed up at work today.

Just busting your balls man, she looks good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I thought rust was bad here in Iowa, but that had to be a blast to work around all that rust!
It's nature's weight reduction

I've been toying with the idea of building the 2 tub crossmembers that are rotted and crushed and fiberglassing the missing steel on the body. The interior is near mint and minus a few trim issues everything works perfectly in the cab (AC, power everything, and cruise even). I'm not interested in buying a scrap one from down south for a cab swap because I flat out don't have the funds or time with these 3 hellions my wife and I created...
Old 02-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #346 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehi...l#post44314872
Old 02-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #347 (permalink)

Member # 192237
protip you can get seat belts in the junkyard that do lock like modern seat belts
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #348 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
protip you can get seat belts in the junkyard that do lock like modern seat belts
I know, the issue is my wife can't drive it or get the kids in or out of it. We swap vehicles halfway through the work day depending on her schedule with her job, classes, internship, and whatever the kiddos have going on so this thing just sits until there's a day she stays home (maybe 1 day a month). So I'm selling this, a set of Pitbull Rockers, and misc other stuff/vehicles to fund a more modern, lower to the ground (TTB Blazer is 4-5" over stock currently), 4 doored SUV. It's just hard to justify letting this sit with all the work I did because I can't drive the cocksucker. Being a parent is awesome but growing up sucks.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #349 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
So I'm selling this, a set of Pitbull Rockers, and misc other stuff/vehicles to fund a more modern, lower to the ground (TTB Blazer is 4-5" over stock currently), 4 doored SUV.
"Willing to accept trades for a 1st gen Explorer and LS drivetrain"

Now that you've popped your TTB cherry the second build should be pretty awesome.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 07:27 AM   #350 (permalink)

Member # 23843
You know what would make this sell better....?

A pic of you jumping it inches from a crowd of messicans in Baja.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in