how come no one is making pre cut, weld it your self plate bumper kits? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2015, 06:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3002
how come no one is making pre cut, weld it your self plate bumper kits?

would like a pre cut plate bumper kit for full size trucks. this $1,000 to $3200 bucks for winch bumpers is great for the big spenders. but there is a market for the people that have the new plasma tables to offer a plate bumper kit that you can weld up at home. hell add options, D rings, fair leads, light sockets, winch mounts, rear bumpers etc.
well who's going to step up?
steelman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2015, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 22301
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman View Post
would like a pre cut plate bumper kit for full size trucks. this $1,000 to $3200 bucks for winch bumpers is great for the big spenders. but there is a market for the people that have the new plasma tables to offer a plate bumper kit that you can weld up at home. hell add options, D rings, fair leads, light sockets, winch mounts, rear bumpers etc.
You are correct, no one is doing this: https://www.movebumpers.com/

Looks like there are a couple options with a quick google search, but Move is who i've heard of in the past.
phillyzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20304
Send a message via AIM to BarrelRoll
There's a bunch of them out there for heeps as well that are weld it your self
BarrelRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 328810
I bought my rear from tab and slot. I cant seem to find much of the company on ebay now for some reason.
JKTweak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 97859
Search road rhino bumpers on eBay. Welded up a couple of them. Their customer service is shitty. Product is ok. The Chevy bumper I ordered looked like a ford superduty road armor with Chevy brackets. Bumper its self was nice but the fit to the truck was terrible. The one I ordered for a 99-06 superduty fit a little better. But in the end you get what you pay for or get better at fabbing.
Morning Wood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 140420
This is what I got for my Master Jeep (MJ). Great place for DIY bumpers for Jeeps

JcrOffroad: Jeep XJ Cherokee Bumpers

I customized it.

I have seen a few good looking DIY bumper kits for full size trucks on eBay. Im planning on buying 2 for my RAM later.
DaKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
If you have a plasma table, why do you need a kit?

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11871
Quote:
would like a pre cut plate bumper kit for full size trucks.
That's like asking for a "dash trim kit for fullsize trucks". There are literally THOUSANDS of distinct shapes that fall into that category, so why would any single company (or person) even attempt to market ONE product to "fit" so many possible configurations? How much is the TIME worth to come up with such a universally-perfect design?

Depending how you count, I spent between 2 & 10 years coming up with this design, which is "perfect" IMO for '92-96 Bronco & F-series with coil suspension <8500GVWR.

It bolts up to those trucks, but NO others. How much should I sell that DWG file for, and what happens when the first customer turns around & re-sells his copy to 20 other people? Or just posts it free?
Quote:
there is a market for the people that have the new plasma tables...
People who buy plasma tables new probably already know how to design & build what they want. That's why they buy their own plasma tables.
Quote:
...offer a plate bumper kit that you can weld up at home.
Liability, just for starters. What would you do if you sold a kit to someone, he boogers it together, then rips it off doing something dumb, and it kills a busload of blind orphan nuns with cancer?
Quote:
hell add options...
So 10,000 designs aren't enough? Now you want 10 more variations on each design?
Quote:
Let us know when your kits go to market.

Last edited by steve83; 12-26-2015 at 11:07 AM.
steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 53528
how many times are you going to start this same fucking thread?

youve posted this same thread 3 times now
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2015, 11:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 53528
the other two werent good enough?

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...mper-kits.html

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...mper-kits.html
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 328810
I thought it seemed familiar
JKTweak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve83 View Post
That's like asking for a "dash trim kit for fullsize trucks". There are literally THOUSANDS of distinct shapes that fall into that category, so why would any single company (or person) even attempt to market ONE product to "fit" so many possible configurations? How much is the TIME worth to come up with such a universally-perfect design?

Depending how you count, I spent between 2 & 10 years coming up with this design, which is "perfect" IMO for '92-96 Bronco & F-series with coil suspension <8500GVWR.

It bolts up to those trucks, but NO others. How much should I sell that DWG file for, and what happens when the first customer turns around & re-sells his copy to 20 other people? Or just posts it free?People who buy plasma tables new probably already know how to design & build what they want. That's why they buy their own plasma tables.Liability, just for starters. What would you do if you sold a kit to someone, he boogers it together, then rips it off doing something dumb, and it kills a busload of blind orphan nuns with cancer?So 10,000 designs aren't enough? Now you want 10 more variations on each design?Let us know when your kits go to market.
IMO that's a shit bumper so clearly one design doesn't please everyone.

The one I'm working on will have a similar shape in the corners (as will every bumper that's similar to the stock one) but will be thinner (vertically) at the ends and make use of off the shelf steel dimensions since it's basically being built from drops/cutoffs

The liability on a DIY kit isn't a big hurdle unless it's actually poorly designed in the first place.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Under Powered

Member # 19543
Quote:
would like a pre cut plate bumper kit for full size trucks...that you can weld up at home.
If you have the welding skills you probably have the rest of what you need to do it, so just dive in and do it! I'll tell you it takes a CRAP TON of time to build a plate bumper and weld it up from scratch. I did both the front and rear on mine. If you want it to look all pretty like production bumpers you are going to spend HOURS smoothing out hundreds of inches of seam welds.

Here's the two that I did:

Front:

Rear:

Last edited by onlyonedr; 12-26-2015 at 04:12 PM.
onlyonedr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 210244
^^^That's a good looking pair of bumpers right there! Nice work.^^^

My Diesel Sport Trac Build

69DieselLover is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in