Who knows about rear calipers? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 99570
Who knows about rear calipers?

I have just rebuilt some rear 1992 240sx calipers. They sure aren't a straight forward rebuild like the fronts, as the parking brake mechanism complicates the rebuild. I never did take them "totally" apart, ie; the parking brake internal parts, as I need some long thin snap ring pliers to get to a snap ring, deep in the bottom of the piston bore. Anyway, on to my question.........

Both calipers seem to work [ properly ] on the same principle.....to move the piston out in it's bore, you activate the parking brake arm on the caliper, and it pushes the piston out a tiny bit with each stroke. This is how slack adjustment is made on them. However, each caliper moves the piston out at a different rate per number of strokes. On one side, 7 lever strokes moves the piston out about 3/4". The other side requires about 30-40 strokes to get the same amount of piston travel.

At first, I thot that the caliper wasn't functioning correctly, but when I screwed the pistons back into the respective bores, I noted that one side [ the 30-40 stroke side ] needed 5 times as many rotations of the piston to seat it fully back into it's bore. So, they both seem to work well, both are for a 240sx, but just need different numbers of strokes for adjusting them. Both calipers look the same, but have different numbers / letters stamped on them. They were both off the same donor car. Is this normal to find this difference among rear calipers? Or could the one requiring many strokes be buggered? I know there are a few different manufacturers for these....Centric, Raybestos, Wagner, Dorman, etc.

Anyone else come across this? I don't anticipate a problem with them being different, do you? They will be for the zuk rear disc swap.
First time rebuilding rear calipers like this, thus my questions.
Spokerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 11871
It could be that the self-adjusting mechanism in the high-stroke-count one is loose/worn/stuck, causing it to back off instead of ratchet as far as the other. I bet if you ask on a 240SX discussion forum, you'll get a more-authoritative answer.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 99570
Thanks for the reply.
Being the 1st time rebuilding such calipers, I'm at a loss to know for sure what is wrong, if anything with that 1 caliper.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 11871
Have you checked the cost for a reman caliper?
Old 01-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 99570
Yes, $180 each......to spend for me right now.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
Yes, $180 each......to spend for me right now.
loaded rears are about $75 per on RockAuto.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 11871
I've bought a few things from RA, but I find Amazon & eBay to be slightly (sometimes extremely) cheaper & quicker.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 99570
I'm in Canada. With our dollar so low, I'll pay about double, plus shipping and taxes, all double too.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
I'm in Canada. With our dollar so low, I'll pay about double, plus shipping and taxes, all double too.
still cheaper then lordco everytime.
this isnt the first time our dollar has been low
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 99570
Lordco parts are expensive for the same jobber parts everyone else carries.......I often do better else where.

Anyone have input on the workings of these calipers and IF that one is buggered or not? Gotta be a few auto mechanics in the know on here.

If they came like this, perhaps on a different model car, with this kind of adjustment, then it's all good. If it is not supposed to take this many cranks / rotations for adjustment [ ever ], well, then it's buggered or close to it.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
I would guess that you have two different calipers. Maybe the same model, but different years. They should both move equally.

Dana 70 kits $300 -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . Sterling 10.25 kits $390 -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dana 60 front 3/4 ton kits $295-->
. .
GubNi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in