Eaton HO72 6 lug? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 112499
Eaton HO72 6 lug?

Search didn't shed any light on the subject but I am considering buyin an Eaton HO72 for the rear of my truck to do away with the offset fj80 axle. Is there a way to convert it to a 6X5.5 bolt pattern or enough room to have the hubs drilled to match the bolt pattern?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MOORETOYX4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 86524
Solid Axle sells 6x5.5" 14 bolt hubs which can be used on the HO72 if you get different bearings. Can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure the inner hub bearing has the same measurements but the outer hub bearing needs to be different because the HO72 outer bearing surface on the spindle is slightly bigger than the 14 bolt
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 112499
Eaton HO72 6 lug?

$400 is a bit salty on top of having to get bearings. I don't have the axle in my possession so I can't determine if I can have them drilled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 38809
Eaton HO72 6 lug?

From what I have read, you can put Eaton hubs on a 14 bolt spindle, but no dice with 14 bolt hubs on an Eaton. https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/1757141-post4.html

I have some Eaton hubs laying around. Any measurements I could grab to see if you can drill the bolt pattern?

Also, in case anyone comes across this thread while searching, this has some good info on 14 bolt vs Eaton HO52/72. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=536119
1990REDRANGIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 112499
Eaton HO72 6 lug?

Ya measurements would be great! The bolt pattern will be 6x5.5 so I guess I would need to know how big the center of the hub is (i.e. Center hole of wheel) and the overall diameter of the hub it's self. Just by looking at pictures I would guess that it's doable.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
I also have a bunch of Eaton HO72 junk. I run SRW hubs right now and have some DRW hubs to run. I know the diameter of the hub is slightly less than 4.5", as I had to turn down the front unit bearings to 4.5" to fit my BTR wheels and the rear slipped on. So 6x5.5 could be possible!

edit: attached pic. gonna be close! Might have to turn down the hub to 4"
Attached Images

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:

Last edited by gtxracer; 01-26-2016 at 03:34 PM.
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2016, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990REDRANGIE View Post
From what I have read, you can put Eaton hubs on a 14 bolt spindle, but no dice with 14 bolt hubs on an Eaton. https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/1757141-post4.html

I have some Eaton hubs laying around. Any measurements I could grab to see if you can drill the bolt pattern?

Also, in case anyone comes across this thread while searching, this has some good info on 14 bolt vs Eaton HO52/72. Eaton HO72/HO52 vs. 14 Bolt FF - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network
You can redrill the Eaton hubs, you'll want to do more than just drill, probably need to turn down the pilot on the hub, turn down the flange on the axleshaft, and run socket cap screws instead of regular hex or flange screws to hold the axleshaft in, so that you can sneak the fasteners within the wheel pilot. All the Eaton hubs I've seen have had the convoluted back flange surface just like 14b hubs, which you'll either want to weld up or turn off, to make the new wheel studs sit properly.

You can't put 14b hubs on an Eaton without either turning down the outer wheel bearing journal on the spindle, or opening it up in the hub, there is no crossover bearing that will let you do that. You can cross over the inner bearing. You can cross Eaton hubs onto a 14b. You could probably cross modified-for-40-spline hubs onto an Eaton, but I don't know what outer bearing they're using.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in