Pirate 4x4 banner

90's throw back....Manche build

351K views 2K replies 215 participants last post by  midwestracer 
#1 · (Edited)
Last time the Copper Crawler is loaded for travel, going to its new home this weekend in Missouri, to its new owner Jared Stover.

Sad day...

Time for some new blood....

Let the destruction begin....

Getting parts ready for mock up..

This build will be getting a little desert flair, with a rock crawler heart, maintain the Manche identity, and as a throw back, will retain its title and street legalness, and also have decided to retain the original paint/patina for a little rod nostalgic look. Along with creature comforts such a heat, and wipers. I dislike the word truggy, this will be a race truck in sheep's clothing.....not to say I'm going racing....but I could....On a side note, one of the things I enjoy most about this sport is the life long friends we make. I ride with a terrific group of people, and I couldn't build anything without their support. Case in point; ran into Brian Cannon (aka @loose cannon) last week and proceeded to tell him of my 2000 mile road trip this weekend to deliver the buggy and pick up my axles and wheels for this build. He quickly jumped on ship to help me drive this trip in less than 3 days with only the promise of being fed well. So I texted him this morning to confirm, of which his reply gave me a good chuckle that I needed....."I have decided that I don't like you, so a three day trip will help with our friendship, what time you picking me up"What would we do without friends and family....? Thanks Brian.I have many friends in this sport/life, I need not list the names, they know who they are. I'm very excited about this build, it's going to be a fun trip, and I hope to expand my skill set as well as build a great truck/buggy that looks as well as it performs.

This thread is being copied and pasted from NC4x4, but I welcome all tech, suggestions, criticism, and free parts that pirate has to offer.....[emoji41]

Matt

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
39 krtb, used, purchased from redlyner, before he left for koh.

Stick around, this should be fun.

Basically be a full tube chassis. I'm cutting the firewall just below the wiper motor cavity pinch weld all the way to the rear header under back glass and door to door in the cabin. Hopefully just lift completely off the rolling "frame" of the truck. Doing this to allow the engine to move back far enough to get the crank pulley behind the axle at full stuff...+7" uptravel.

Matt

#12 · (Edited)
Home.
48 hrs to the minute.
2100.5 miles
7.5 tanks of fuel.
Great food, Memphis bbq.
Maybe 7 hours sleep total.
New friends.
Awesome trip.
Mo goodies

NOW.....BED

Matt

#15 · (Edited)
Specs for the axles are-

-New 5.43 gears in both low pinion drop outs. Detroit unit will go in rear, spooled unit will be a spare.
-A fresh rebuilt mega hi 9 with 5.40 gears, dual load bolts, and spool will be used in front, arriving this week; thanks @balduccibrosracing.
-All forged 1350 yokes.
-6 lug unit bearings
-rear shafts are new ctm 300m double spline
-front shafts are ctm drive home 300m, new long side, one new ctm joint, and a spare ctm stub.
-spidertrax ultimate knuckles, 3.5" 1/4 housing.
-all yokes are clearanced for 45° steering.
-no brakes or slugs yet, still researching

Should be a stout, light set up for 39's

Thanks for the interest guys, stay tuned...

Matt

Matt

#16 · (Edited)
Recorded some weights for those interested in tech for light weight. Something I'm giving a lot of consideration to on this build.

Iirc about 50lbs less than the raceline/sx combo

X1

X1

X2

X2

I'm figuring 50lb more for brakes/oil gives me an estimated wet axle weight w/o tires of 305lb....with tires only 570lb. I'll have to look back at my notes from valving the buggy, (and obviously we don't know 1/2 the weight of the links/shocks/driveshaft yet), but that is VERY light versus my previous set up.

Hopefully I can ballpark this thing at 4000 wet....

Matt

Matt

#17 ·
How do you think those tires will do on the east coast? I know they are lighter than the SX. However is the weight savings worth the loss of traction. I am guessing of coarse I have know idea how well the BFG will do, they might be great for all I know.

#18 ·
Talked to a few people who run them. No complaints, but certainly won't have the sidewall grip of the sx....Maybe if I'm 500 pounds lighter I won't need it....we'll see, that's why I bought used rather than new.

Matt

#19 · (Edited)
All the dropouts are here now. New 5.43 gears installed in both low pinions, the mega hi is loaded with a spooled 5.40, dual load bolts with 35 spline pinion and 1350 forged yoke, alltech bolt locks, and bronze nose bearing. Even got a carry case for the spare in the deal.

Started some rough layout, just to wrap my head around drive and power train placement relative to the cab.

So far, looking at 115-117 wheelbase, 19-20 belly. Both driveshafts roughly 38" one pieces. Roughly 36" front lower links, 48" lower rear trailing arms.

Big thanks @Ol'Jeeps (metalwerx) for getting my thirds setup and the loan of the chassis table, and most of my materials on the way. Also a thanks to Kevin of the Miller Motorsports family, who moved to Charlotte this week from Jersey and transported the hi 9 from Balducci Bros for me and saved me some shipping.

More parts on the way, hopefully some metal melting within the next week.

Matt

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks, yes and fortunately, all have been used purchases. Only thing new on this build will be shocks/bumps, brakes, steering, fuel cell, and possibly seats.

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.