power steering pump loud - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 377698
power steering pump loud

My 00 Silverado 1500 power steering pump is still the original (with 207k miles), and it started whining shortly after the solid axle swap. Then I added hydroboost brakes, and the whining was a little louder but got quieter over time. Now that I added the hydro-assist ram, its very loud and at an idle its pretty hard to steer. The noise gets louder as rpms go up.

So I am assuming the pump is done, my question is - any differences between a silverado 1500 vs the 2500 pump? I looked at the parts store and they physically look the same, the 2500 has another return line for the hydroboost.
vipergtrdj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 650497
Have you checked the power steering fluid level?
JeepinTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 377698
yes, its full. When I was bleeding them it took roughly 2qts. I am going to try bleeding them again tomorrow. As I worked the wheels back and forth more it was getting quieter then it would get loud. At idle it still wont move the tires, but once I bump the rpms it will move them. I just pulled the cap off and noticed a ton of bubbles, it also looks cream colored almost. It has a new cooler and all new lines, so not sure what the color is from.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 78325
surprised your pump lasted this long...this is an upgraded '00 2500 p pump/alt bracket, box, altered the factory ps bracket and converted the cooler to a heat sync, as with the trans cooler and changed all my ps, trans lines.

49willys_mogon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2016, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 377698
That's nice. I like that setup.

Any idea what the specs are off the 2500 pump? I know my 1500 pump has a small orifice so I'm told that it flows less compared to a 2500 pump. But Noone can tell me how much more it flows.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 225201
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergtrdj View Post

Any idea what the specs are off the 2500 pump? I know my 1500 pump has a small orifice so I'm told that it flows less compared to a 2500 pump. But Noone can tell me how much more it flows.
This any help? Didn't read it all, and for the most part looks like older trucks.

Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 200478
It takes a few complete cycles to fully bleed a hydroboost system. I had to drive mine for a bit, then let it sit overnight for three cycles before it quit making noise. All those little bubbles have to come out of solution. The first few times they are coming out of solution in the system somewhere, then getting whipped up by the pump and redistributed.
isbj60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 377698
Figured I'd give it a shot tomorrow. Should I jack the wheels off the ground again and do the process again, or is it fine to leave the tires on the ground this time?

I might still grab a new pump to have on hand.... figured mine has 207k miles, may not last much longer.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergtrdj View Post

Any idea what the specs are off the 2500 pump? I know my 1500 pump has a small orifice so I'm told that it flows less compared to a 2500 pump. But Non can tell me how much more it flows.
don't quote me on this but remember hearing 1800-2200psi...my 2500 is half 1500 and half 2500 so if you have this bracket most likely you have this pump...or it will work.

One warning if the pump is toast shaving could end up in the box. Pull a line or see if the old fluid has glitter in it.

Fluid: Use GM power steering fluid!

additional bleeding tips...started out by attaching hoses on all the lowest points (box pump) and filling the hoses using an oil can to inject the fluid until fluid gets to the highest point of each then tighten back on to the highest points (res or hydro boost)...just like brake bleeding you can gravity bleed a bit by loosening the hose ends until fluid comes out...jack the front up turn lock to lock...go easy on running the eng with air...bad for the pump. rec cranking eng NOT running.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 377698
Thanks. I pulled the lines at the box, no glitter from what I can see. Looks nice and clean.
I cracked the lines to help gravity feed, fluid comes out. I tightened it all up and called it a night. I'll tinker with it more tomorrow and see how much air I can get out. It sounds quieter, but still little hard turning at idle. At least harder then I'd think with hydro assist. I verified the ram hoses are correct.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
gettin there

Member # 232666
Mine did the same thing at first. I scrapped the old pump and bought a brand new k3500 pump from a 98 Silverado. I also have hydro boost brakes. When I bled, I unhooked the ram and hung it from the lines so it was the lowest point of the system. I also used full synthetic transmission fluid. No issues turning after, pinky finger lock to lock on pavement, in dirt/mud, and even up against rocks still turns with one finger. It will actually move the truck to the side before my steering even comes close to locking up. I'm running 39" tires as well.
sterlingfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 377698
Good to know. I'll grab the new pump and see how it works. At idle I can't move the tires any easier then with no ram. I only have 33s on. Need to put some stength behind it when I turn, almost like the ram isn't working.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 106935
I would be very surprised to see that your res. stays full through lock to lock cycle of you steering. Any hydraulic assist setups I have done have either needed an extension added to the filler neck on the pump res via some hydraulic hose, or a remote res. to keep enough fluid in the system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SEBA

Last edited by levi1a; 02-25-2016 at 07:04 PM.
levi1a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
gettin there

Member # 232666
I guess I forgot to mention I did a res extension with a piece of flexible rad hose on top of the new res. Pics in a while.
sterlingfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 377698
Well I got a new pump, computer said it's for a 03 2500 with hydroboost, I threw it in, filled it. Went lock to lock, filled reservoir again, pUT an extension on the reservoir, went lock to lock another 20 times. Started truck and it steered excellent. No noise from the pump.

Took truck off jack stands and cycled the steering a bunch more. Got some air out of the lines but not much. She turns great tho! Guess my old pump just wasn't up to the job. When those make noise, can they be torn apart and rebuilt ? I'm thinking of rebuilding it for a spare and do some pump mods to it.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Great to hear all is well

Another tip on this pump...dont over port it or they whine. Found this out after a shop did this...if you look closely at the pic I posted with the bracket howe adds an additional bleeder if there is an overpressure event reducing cavitation.

Last edited by 49willys_mogon; 02-27-2016 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in