Vote Now: Trail Breaker Finalist - Trail Hero Oct. 5-8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

View Poll Results: Which Driver should be in the Trail Breaker Event
Kenny Blume 26 1.89%
Andy Couch 38 2.76%
Cary Gleason 433 31.47%
Justin Hall 288 20.93%
Brad Lovell 43 3.13%
Greg McNeil 24 1.74%
Charlie Melchner 146 10.61%
Steve Nantz 47 3.42%
Mark Ruffing 9 0.65%
Tom Sanford 322 23.40%
Voters: 1376. You may not vote on this poll

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 07:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 24980
Vote Now: Trail Breaker Finalist - Trail Hero Oct. 5-8

The Vote for the Trail Breaker's 10th and final position starts here. The following drivers were selected out of a group that was nominated in another thread listed Here. Due to the overwhelming response, we had our 9 qualified drivers each hand select 1 driver below from the nomination list to be in this vote.

In order to vote, you must be a member of Pirate4x4. We do this because Pirate is about as hardcore as you get, and this feature of Trail hero is definitively going to be the toughest terrain for the most hardcore enthusiasts. Voting closes in 30 days...

Below is a description of each driver and their history, vehicle and efforts. Choose wisely because you can only vote once, and your choice will depict the future of the driver. Keep in mind, we are looking for the most capable, most skilled driver with his equipment. I think we have a great mix of individuals and also think every one of these guys are great candidates.

1 – Kenny Blume, Tulsa, Oklahoma

Kenny has been a staple of consistency and success in the competitive Rock Crawling world for almost 2 decades dating back to the Warn Nationals in ’97-‘98. He has driven everything from single seat Unlimited cars to Pro Mods to 4400 vehicles. His racing career spans 3 over decades. He won the W.E.ROCK National Championship in 2013 in the Pro Mod Class, and has well over 20 wins in his Rock Crawling Career. He is making modifications to his car that include portals, rear steer, and a Lovell T-case. Kenny’s name is synonymous with East Coast Rock Crawling as his battles for the win in the early days were often against the likes of Charlie Melchner, Chris Durham, and Ken Shupe. Kenny still competes today in the W.E.ROCK Pro Modified Class.
Kenny’s Vehicle:
Motor: Supercharged 3.8 liter
Trans: 904 Transmission
Tcase: Lovell Tcase
Axles: Spider 9 front, JHF/Trail Gear Portal 9 Rear
Tires: 40” Maxxis Trepadors
Wheels: 17” Raceline Monsters

Extras: Fox Shocks, Yukon Gears and Lockers, Tom Woods Driveshafts, PSC Full Hydro Steering, Trail Gear Components

2 - Andy Couch, Ridgecrest, California

Wheeling pretty much his whole life, Andy Drove vehicles from a 1979 Toyota truck to a 1987 Jeep Cherokee XJ to the his current Bash Buggy. The bash buggy brings opportunities for challenges that other rigs have not (at least for him) - and so far, it has passed all of those challenges, including breaking several new trails. His most frequent wheeling happens in Johnson Valley, but also Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Northern California, and his own backyard. He enjoys exploring new areas and breaking new trails. Andy says, “Some of my closest friendships have developed from wheeling, which is one of the reasons I enjoy it.” The Bash buggy was built by Randy Slawson in 2004, modified by Nolan Grogan and fine-tuned by Andy since 2008.
Andy’s Vehicle:
Motor: Toyota Tacoma 3RZ
Trans: R150 5-speed transmission
Tcase: 4-speed Atlas
Axles: Front Dana 60, Rear Sunray Chrome Moly 9”
Tires: 39" BFG Red Label Krawlers
Wheels: Walker Evans

Extras: 2" Fox air shocks, 60 front with alloy axles and CTMs (spooled), Sunray Chrome moly 9" rear with Moser 35 spline shafts (spooled), and Howe full hydro steering, Ice chest rack and burrito cooker (important stuff!)

3 - Cary Gleason, Scottsdale, Arizona

Getting out to the desert to explore or find new challenges is a love for Cary and once he was introduced to rock crawling, he knew that where he wanted to be. Part of the BTG rock crawling club, he also wheels with the Undertakers and just about anyone else who likes hard core trail wheeling. Cary has honed my skills on some of the nastiest terrain and has pushed himself and truck to places all once thought were not possible. He says, “When I hear of an impossible obstacle I always want to check it out!”
Cary’s Vehicle:
“Based off of his original Toyota long bed pick-up truck. It has had many rebuilds on it but the last and most extensive was back in '06. It remains almost unchanged since then.”
Motor: 22R engine, turbocharged on Propane.
Trans: Ford C4 transmission
Tcase: Atlas 4spd transfer case to it. 1350 u joints
Axles: Spider 9’s
Tires: 42 inch Irok Sticky compound tires
Wheels: Trail Gear 17 inch bead locks

Extras: 1 piece drive shafts front and rear. Spider 9 front housing, knuckles,steering, and 300M axle shafts. Tru Hi-9 front diff with 4:88 gears and spooled front and rear. The rear axle is a Spider housing with single float Moser 4340 shafts and low pinion 3rd member. Home brew brakes. There is still 3 feet of stock Toyota frame left. Air shocks on all 4 corners. I add about 400lbs of water to the front 2 tires. It weighs 2908lbs without the water in the tires.

4 - Justin Hall, Antioch, California

27 year old Justin Hall of Antioch, CA is a two time W.E.Rock National Champion and he will be sporting the old Torchmate Promod car with just a few modifications in the tune of a 50* rear steering axle. Justin has done some of the craziest bonus climbs and drops known to the competitive Rock Crawling world, in both CalRocs and W.E.Rock. Everyone knows that Justin will do whatever it takes to win. The Trail Hero run will be no different. Justin is the youngest person to compete in the Trail Hero Event. Justin has never really had a chance to prove himself in the 'Trail Wheelin' realm because he has always been competing. This is the perfect opportunity for him to be able to do just that. Justin Drives the old Torchmate Pro Modified that he has equipped with Rear Steer.
Justin’s Vehicle:
Motor: LS3
Trans: Powerglide
Tcase: Atlas 2 Speed
Axles: Spidertrax 9’s
Tires: 37’ BFG Red Label Krawlers

Extras: 57* front steering, 50* rear steer, RuffStuff Specialties, JM Rigging, Sonoma County Crawlers Offroad LEDs, Nitro Gear and Axle, Dynomax Exhaust, ATF

5 – Brad Lovell, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Brad Lovell grew up camping and 4-wheeling in the Colorado backcountry. His professional career started in 2004 with his brother Roger. Together they have won 6 rock crawling championships and stand shoulder to shoulder with the best in the sport. Eager for a new challenge, the team focused on TORC and joined the Pro-Light Field in 2010. Lovell has proven himself as one of the most versatile off-road drivers in North America. He has won championships in short course, Ultra4, and Rock Racings as well as victories in desert racing and hill climbs. He has amassed 9 season championships and more than 35 race vistories which earned him the honor of Dirtsports Driver of the Year in 2012. Racing is a full time occupation for Brad so when he is not at the track, he is hard at work in the shop or enjoying time with his wife and sons. He lives in Colorado Springs close to his family, which is the backbone of Lovell Racing.
Brad’s Vehicle:
Motor: Ford 347
Trans: C4
Tcase: Atlas 2
Axles: Spidertrax Pro Series Axles with Gear Works 10” Centers
Tires: 39” BFG Red Label Krawlers
Wheels: 17” Method Wheels

6 - Greg McNeil, Centennial, Colorado

Greg has been wheeling his whole life starting with his family, living in Albuquerque New Mexico. He would go out in an old International Scout when his brother and him were about four or five years old. Later when he got his driver’s license a Willy’s Gladiator Pick-Up found its way to his house which he wheeled for a few years. Then in 1979 Toyota came out with their first four wheel drive Pick Up. Well he HAD to have one! And he wheeled that until the engine blew. He then got another one that would become the Crunch Mobile, which helped him earn the nickname Captain Crunch. Greg started the “Authorty 4wheelers” and owned the Toyota event called “Cruise Moab”. Greg competed in the first rock crawling comp in Las Cruces in 1998 and finished in the middle of the pack. He then wheeled that until his friend Ron Christensen wanted to sell his single seat comp buggy around eleven years ago. Greg drove a couple of comps in Rangely CO, a few years back and is now having fun, trying to do the most insane waterfalls in the southwest. Greg Says, “Would like to give the Trail Breaker a try and see how I do and give a show to the crowd. Thanks for the consideration”
Greg’s Vehicle:
Motor: LS1
Trans: 4L60E
Tcase: 4.3 Atlas
Axles: HP Ford Dana 60 Front, Currie Rock Jock HP 60 Rear
Tires: 39” BFG Red Label Krawlers
Wheels: 17” Trail Ready Wheels

Extras: Front has 35 Spline Chromo axle, Stub Shafts and Longfield 300m U joints. 5:13 Gears and ARB Air Locker. Ried Racing Knuckles. 3 Link. Rear axle is a Currie Rock Jock HP 60 5:13 Gears and Detroit Locker. 35 Spline Chromo Axle Shafts. Wilwood Brakes. 4 Link. 39” BFG Reds, Trail Ready Aluminum Beadlocks. PSC Steering. Rear mounted Radiator with Coolant running through the Tube Chassis. 1.5” DOM .120 Wall Tubing. Seat is next to the driveline, not on top of it. Bottom of seat is 2” above skid plate.

7 - Charlie Melchner, Mahopac, New York

It's a name you can google and get results showing years of history in the 4x4 world. What started as a teenager's dream to drive a big pickup truck led to a series of winning show trucks and progressed into
the world of competitive offroading. He was "just some yahoo driving through the woods," but his driving skills and competitive spirit led to entries in virtually all the major race series and countless podium finishes and championships. The media loves to cover Charlie because of his aggressive driving style and love of the spotlight, and if you give him a microphone... watch out! But that talent is not just behind the wheel driving, it's also behind the wrench building. Sometimes it's from scratch, and sometimes it's taking something and improving it. One of his current rigs is exactly that; taking a car he guest drove in some past competitions and updating it a little with some new parts and pieces; adjusting things for his current style and taste.
Charlie’s Vehicle:
Motor: 4.3 V6
Trans: Auto
Tcase: Atlas
Axles: Old School Dana 60’s
Tires: 40” Maxxis Trepadors

Extras: ORI shocks, high angle steering components, will add Rear Steer if Voted in.

8 - Steve Nantz, Moab, Utah

Steve Nantz started competing in 1998 at the BFG rockcrawling championship. Since then he has competed in ARCA, UROCK, XRRA, WeRock and other smaller events. Steve has a great passion for offroading and building increadible offroad vehicles. Wanting to continue his love of 4 wheeling Steve started Moab 4x4 Outpost in 2004. Steve built the first single seat buggy that competed in ARCA, called the "Centepede". Steve is currently building another single seat buggy with rear steer just for the "Trail Hero Event".
Steve’s Vehicle:
Motor: 4.3L V6
Trans: 700R4
Axles: Taraflex Super 60’s
Tires: 40” Red Label BFG Krawlers
Wheels: Trail Ready Beadlocks

Extras: Teraflex Components, 53* of Turning, PSC Steering, All Chrome Moly chassis, smaller than his moonbuggy, 110” Wheelbase, JM Rigging Winch Ropes and Accessories.

9 - Mark Ruffing - Colorado

Mark Ruffing is a hardcore wheeler at heart. Mostly quiet, he lets his driving do the talking. He has competed and placed well in the W.E.ROCK Unlimited Class before the turn of the decade, when the class was one of the largest in W.E.ROCK's History. He drives a vehicle built by Spidertrax and wheels regularly with Kevin Carroll, Tracy Jordan, and some of the most hardcore unknown wheelers around. He driving style, attitude, and talent is a perfect fit for the Trail Breaker.
Mark's Vehicle:
Motor: Ecotech
Trans: Powerglide
Axles: Spider 9's with rear steer
Tires: BFG Red Label Krawlers

10 - Tom Sanford, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Wheelin’ has been Tom’s life for the past 8-9 years as he says, “Yes a very understanding wife and son.” Tom has been involved with dirt since he was 13 with dune buggies, and by the time he was 18 it was first gen Toyota’s and progressed to what he drives now. His car is a twisted customs knock off which he built in 2008 after buying the chassis from a guy in Montrose, and upgraded drivetrain again in 2013.
Tom States: “Trail building is one of my favorite times of the year, pushing ourselves to get your blood flowing whether it’s up here in beautiful BC or hanging out wheeling down in Washington, Oregon, or California. Over the years of travelling to all these different places, I have to say I have been truly blessed in meet some of the most amazing people, people that I can say are now great friends!
I just turned the big 50 this year and thought that being included in this event would be a huge honor. Hell it’s an honor just to be nominated and for that I thank you.”
Tom’s Vehicle:
Motor: GM Crate LS3
Trans: TH400
Tcase: Atlas 3.8
Axles: Dana 60 front and rear steer.
Tires: 39” BFG Red Labels
Wheels: 17” Trail Ready HD

Extras: both axles are built identically with 300m rcv shafts, yukon comp zips front and rear, psc rams, reid knuckles, spidertax brakes wilwood calipers, and Ori struts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bringing the Hero out in all of us...
Lil' Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 481234
Old 04-11-2016, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 30061
3 - Cary Gleason, Scottsdale, Arizona

Old 04-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17107
Send a message via AIM to DOUG38S
All of these guys are more than qualified.

Charlie got my vote because I've wheeled so much with this yahoo that we are darn near as close as brothers. He got me started, got me going and keeps pushing me to do harder things.

SHAKE AND BAKE bitch!
Old 04-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 665946
Go TeamMahopac!
TeamMahopac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 46318
+1 for Cary Gleason
Old 04-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 8108
Charlie could out wheel any of the guys on this list--I know because he told me so!

Team East Coast.
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 2129
Go Carey

Huge thanks to Ballistic Fab, ADS shocks, Pro Diesel, Bulldog winch, Desert Rat Off Road Centers, BFG Tires and all my friends and family
JackA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 168725
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 127197
Number 10 Tom Sanford
LANDABUSER is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
My votes for Justin. He does it all, just won the MetalCloak race this weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 09:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 24980
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleygo3 View Post
My votes for Justin. He does it all, just won the MetalCloak race this weekend.
Yeah I thought that was pretty cool. Plus he has broken some trails open back home from what I have heard, not to mention the countless wins and couple Championships he has gathered as well.

All of these guys are legit and should be part of the top 9, but we have to figure out how to make it fair and give everyone a chance to get in.

bringing the Hero out in all of us...
Lil' Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 145443
I've been wheeling with Charlie for close to 20 years.... several cross country trips for events and tons of great memories. Always pushing to do more and take it to the next level. I can't wait to see him wheel this event!
JeepBuilderCOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11577
Andy Couch gets my vote. I've seen him drive that rig through shit nobody else
even thinks about.

My Jimmy's build.

David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 90566
Cary for the Win!!!
whosurdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 2242
Tough choice! All of these guys are great wheelers and I have had the pleasure to see most of them drive. Mark Ruffing and Greg McNeil are two that have really impressed me though with the places they take their buggies. They wheel with a lot of the other guys that are already in the event (not sure if that is a good thing or some diversity in the event would be better) but Mark and Greg have no problem hanging with the top dogs.

Harry Wagner
Freelance 4WD Writing & Photography
Vehicle Features, Tech, & Trail Reports
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 6815
Go Cary! Represent for BTG and UT!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 20322
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAZYj View Post
Go Cary! Represent for BTG and UT!

Get some Cary!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Voted for Cary, love that truck, easily my favorite!
Old 04-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 108707
#4 Justin Hall

Sent from my rooted SM-N900V 5.0 using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 666202
Vote

My votes for Steve Nantz
stephanieb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 116541
Cary Gleason

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 349866
My votes for Tom #10. He is an all around Hella wheeler and nice guy. Had the chance to compete against him on Vancouver Island.
Plus all contests need a canuck. Little cross border rivalry to drive everyone's game up.
PigletToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 4669
Cary FTW
crashinaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
Rock Stacker

Member # 65066
Cary because of his character.

AccuTune - Shock Tuning
Factor 55 - Recovery Gear
Goat Built
Optima - Batteries & Charging
Rigid Industries - Lighting
SPAL - Fans
Team 208 Motorsports Harness & Tuning
PSC Steering
HydroDynamic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in