Best way to package jumper cables? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Best way to package jumper cables?

So as my dad was putting plates on my van today, I looked in the garage at the stuff that was in my old Van. I saw 2 sets of loose jumper cables (derp) and was wondering if there was a clean way to put them in the van. (They were wedged behind the spare in old Van). Thoughts?

I just realized I don't have my slime compressor/plug kit in new van. Doh!

Yes it's a new car, yes I have AAA, but my man card says I need stuff in my car.

Wat say PBB?

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 95131
I like to clip the ends to each other, roll them up, and use electrical tape or those velcro straps to hold them in place. Then tuck them under a seat, or put in the center of the spare tire.
busyfixin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Best way I've ever had them packaged was have them permanently attached to the battery and rolled up under the hood. Even if I needed the jump it was a few seconds to open the hood and unroll them. That way they were always where they would always be where I would need them with out having to store them.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 24980
I fold mine up and put them in an old Maxxis Draw String Bag. The fold that up and put it in my Vehicle Emergency Bag that i have.

The VEB holds, slime, compressor, tow strap, plug kit, simple hand tools, foldable military shovel, and reflective blanket. We also carry a supplies bag which has a cotton blanket, beef jerky, granola bars, water, provisions, etc. I originally put it together for my wife when we lived in Alaska. break down up there and you may not have service or amenities for miles on end.

bringing the Hero out in all of us...
Lil' Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
As I think about it, I'm almost sure I should just stick them in the spare tire well under the floor.

It's a 2015 Sienna, but cables are shit you are supposed to have.

& Blaine

Old 04-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
Best way I've ever had them packaged was have them permanently attached to the battery and rolled up under the hood. Even if I needed the jump it was a few seconds to open the hood and unroll them. That way they were always where they would always be where I would need them with out having to store them.
Interesting. with the vans "lift" I have tons of room under the hood.

& Blaine

Old 04-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Interesting. with the vans "lift" I have tons of room under the hood.
If there is a good safe space next to the battery it hides pretty well. I used those little bungy's with the plastic knot that wraps back to itself. Put a piece of rubber over something so that the free ends could be clamped onto it and the positive not arc out on anything. Just make sure they can't fall into the belts or on the exhaust and you'll forget you have them till you need them.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 137726
I use this, keeps them from snagging on everything else that's stuffed under the back seat of the truck.http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GK4U24Y/

Work great for the air hose for my onboard compressor too.
MotoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDave View Post
I use this, keeps them from snagging on everything else that's stuffed under the back seat of the truck.http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GK4U24Y/

Just about to post the same thing. Work very well, clean, simple, durable, cheap.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11448
Send a message via Yahoo to MNorby
Quote:

I literally just ordered one of these this morning from Amazon after looking for a similar solution. Want to see if my recovery strap will roll up into one too for better daily driver organization.

MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 12429
YES for that bag.

I use the bag from amazon too.

It holds my extremely heavy/heavy-duty jumper cables just barely enough room
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 113019
Quote:

Add me to the list. I throw a pair of gloves in there as well.
BigBlue&Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 10:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 95131
I hate dealing with the bags. Seems like I never get the cables rolled up just right, and never get them to fit back in well. I just end up stuffing the bag somewhere, and rolling the cables up and putting them somewhere else. I gave up on them years ago. If I need them in a bag, I use a tool bag like comes with cordless tools and put the cables and strap, clevis, etc in there as a kit that's easy to move around. In a car though, it's hard to beat the spot in the spare tire well.
busyfixin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
I gave up on cables and now just carry the little lipo jump boxes. They hold their charge for months and I don't need anyone else to jump me.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 94026
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
I gave up on cables and now just carry the little lipo jump boxes. They hold their charge for months and I don't need anyone else to jump me.
Can you weld with those Mark? Just saying that I have broken into my water tube of Missle weld and cables more times than used for jump starting.
ISDTBower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5969
These http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...D3BP2ZDGPVDPYB

GOAT1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5969
Looks like they make some other cool auto stuff

AB Product - Bucket Boss

GOAT1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
This is an awesome idea and pretty sure this is what's happening on my DD.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is any sort of water crossing/hard rain/ect.
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 200906
I cut my new cables about 2 feet back from the clamps and installed connectors that match my winch. Hot wire run directly back to the battery, negative to the frame. If I need to use the jumper cables , just unplug the winch and plug in the jumper cables. Bonus, if I kill my battery using the winch I can plug in the jumper cables to the winch side and run it from another vehicle or spare battery. to store the cables I roll them up and use a couple of "cable clamps" from these guys Home and store them under the rear seat.
Daveinvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT1 View Post
I use the same one in the old color. Actually have a couple of them. One holds 25 foot plug in cables to a hard wired AMP connector on the bumper of the Dodge with a short set of adapters to plug into the AMP end with parrot clamps in case I don't use them on the truck.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 130483
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post
This is an awesome idea and pretty sure this is what's happening on my DD.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is any sort of water crossing/hard rain/ect.
Why?its only 12v and its no different the having exposed battery terminals
I would be more worried about the + clamp coming loose and shorting out
Old 04-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 s dime View Post
Why?its only 12v and its no different the having exposed battery terminals
I would be more worried about the + clamp coming loose and shorting out
I grease and cap my positive studs, but you're right. The clamp coming loose is more or less what I'm talking about.
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2016, 06:55 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 175753
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
Yep this^
Pipelayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in