Better brakes properly spec'd by those who know... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Better brakes properly spec'd by those who know...

With the rash of brake threads of late. Shall we start a thread to aid those of us without the proper knowledge, to be lead by those who do, and are willing to share? I think it is an area of any type of build that everyone should be concerned with getting right the first time in the name of safety...

I have a new build, and would like to get it right for sure....previously had decent brakes on my buggy, but would like them to be better this time around.

This is my build;

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2261513

These are the items I have already for brakes, at this point, I'm ready to purchase masters, and would like to hear the consensus of the better educated on the subject.

Spidertrax- 14" solid/drilled 3/8 rotors, non-heat treated. Front and rear

Wilwood calipers- (4) #120-6818 dynalite , 1.75 piston, for .38 rotor.

Wilwood pads- poly matrix E, part#-15e-6096k, .49 thick

Wilwood pedal- forward mount resi's with balance bar, 8:1 ratio

Quick build specs: legends style build, ls2, th350, atlas 3.0, 5.40 gear, 39 bfg, 2.5 Fox coilovers all around, 2" bumps all around, trailing arm rear, dual tri front. 4300# target weight with driver/co, spares and tools. This rig will also be tagged, insured, and driven for ice cream on a good weather basis from time to time.

Everything to this point was spec'd by Thom at spidertrax. What would be the proper size master from here?

What say ye pirate sleuths?

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last buggy Build thread;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LS2, th350, atlas 3.0, spidertrax 9's, 39's.

Last edited by mcutler1; 05-01-2016 at 04:00 PM.
mcutler1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 102813
My master is a Wilwood single 1 1/16 with a CNC 15" peddle. Everything else is what you already have.

I have had multiple people tell me (that have them on their rigs) that this is a combo that works very well for crawlers.

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]

Last edited by Mr Stubs; 05-01-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Mr Stubs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 42341
Do you have a pedal ratio picked out yet? That will be just as important to match to your system. With that picked out, you can figure out how much pedal pressure it will take to create a desired output PSI in the master (that pedal pressure multiplied by leverage ratio, applied over the master's surface area). One of these other threads had someone with around 500PSI complaining about brake problems. Another around 1000PSI, and awesome brakes getting near 1500PSI.

A 1.0625" master has .89 square inch surface area. If you have an 8:1 pedal ratio and apply 100 lbs of force to the pedal, it will be roughly 800 lbs pushed through the brake pushrod. 800lbs over .89" surface area is roughly 900 PSI.

Someone correct me if I did my math wrong there, very possible haha. Note this doesn't give any regard to how firm or soft the pedal feel will be with small or large calipers attached though, but just shows example PSI if the master's output lines were capped.

Dovenosed 5 speed WJ on 9"s

Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 05-01-2016 at 06:41 PM.
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Yes, it's an 8:1 with balance bar, standard swing forward mount.

Matt

Last buggy Build thread;

Old 05-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
Do you have a pedal ratio picked out yet? That will be just as important to match to your system. With that picked out, you can figure out how much pedal pressure it will take to create a desired output PSI in the master (that pedal pressure multiplied by leverage ratio, applied over the master's surface area). One of these other threads had someone with around 500PSI complaining about brake problems. Another around 1000PSI, and awesome brakes getting near 1500PSI.

A 1.0625" master has .89 square inch surface area. If you have an 8:1 pedal ratio and apply 100 lbs of force to the pedal, it will be roughly 800 lbs pushed through the brake pushrod. 800lbs over .89" surface area is roughly 900 PSI.

Someone correct me if I did my math wrong there, very possible haha. Note this doesn't give any regard to how firm or soft the pedal feel will be with small or large calipers attached though, but just shows example PSI if the master's output lines were capped.
I understand your math, and agree with it.. And forgive my ignorance, but by other accounts in these recent threads, the advice given to use a smaller mc, goes against this math, without changing the pedal ratio...correct me if I'm wrong. I guess that's some of the clarification I'm trying to determine....along with someone magically telling me which one to use and they'll be perfect....Lol

Matt

Last buggy Build thread;

Old 05-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 42341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcutler1 View Post
I understand your math, and agree with it.. And forgive my ignorance, but by other accounts in these recent threads, the advice given to use a smaller mc, goes against this math, without changing the pedal ratio...correct me if I'm wrong. I guess that's some of the clarification I'm trying to determine....along with someone magically telling me which one to use and they'll be perfect....Lol

Matt
Going to a smaller master means that 800lbs of pedal force gets applied over a smaller surface area, so the actual PSI increases.

A single 3/4" master has .44 surface area, so that 800lbs is applied of .44sq. in. That means for the same input force, the 3/4" master creates about 1800 PSI . Only problem is it doesn't push a whole lot of fluid volume at that pressure, so caliper flex, line stretch, etc could equate to a spongy pedal as the calipers eat up the extra fluid volume

I was looking to find the quote on the overall PSI's for a "good" feeling brake system, but haven't found it yet

Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 05-01-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Okay. I'm looking at a brake calculator now also. What is a normal xxxlbs of pedal force? Is there a magic number that someone might use like 100? I only weigh 180, but I have long levers.... how does the industry determine who/how, etc?... I realize 100 makes the math simpler

Matt

Last buggy Build thread;

Last edited by mcutler1; 05-01-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 42341
I was using 100lbs due to the simplified math, but I honestly don't have the experience to comment on that, or caliper/pad/rotor combos like others can

Old 05-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
I understand. Neither do I, lol. Wanted this thread to be brake tech, looks like we got it started...

Matt

Last buggy Build thread;

Old 05-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Here are the specs for the caliper part number I listed above, if this will help.

Matt

Last buggy Build thread;

Old 05-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
Might want to look into a hydroboost unit.
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 42341
Just found this gem of a thread by Mr. N on calipers and piston sizes

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...-calipers.html

Old 05-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 1636
I've got the same rotors, calipers, and pads. I use a 7:1 reverse swing wilwood pedal pedal with 3/4 masters front and rear.

Stops awesome, way better than my old buggy with the same masters and stock gm rotors and calipers.

I raced it yesterday and was using the brakes hard. I wore right through the front pads (they were about 40% at the start) and could smell brakes after diving into a corner really hard, but the rears were the same as when i started.

I definitely need to figure out how to get the bias adjusted properly.
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Sweet, thanks for posting. I was just looking at the wilwood sight, in the support section they had some good tips on bias.

Matt

Last buggy Build thread;

Old 05-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
I assume you were in 4wd the entire time. Interesting that the fronts wore so much quicker.

Edit: after thinking a little more, I realize that weight transfer, and anti-dive in the front suspension is probably the culprit for the accelerated front bias wear. More transfer_more anti_less ground pressure from rear tires_rear locks up sooner_ therefore less rotation of the disc=less wear on rear pads_ more wear for the front carrying more load.

Maybe...

Matt

Last buggy Build thread;

Last edited by mcutler1; 05-01-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 94026
Quote:
I assume you were in 4wd the entire time. Interesting that the fronts wore so much quicker.

Edit: after thinking a little more, I realize that weight transfer, and anti-dive in the front suspension is probably the culprit for the accelerated front bias wear. More transfer_more anti_less ground pressure from rear tires_rear locks up sooner_ therefore less rotation of the disc=less wear on rear pads_ more wear for the front carrying more load.

Maybe...Matt
Many racers that run 4x4 all the time balance their brakes 50/50 or realistically 100%/100%. The rear can help the fronts stop thru the driveline.

It is also known that stopping is usually more violent than accelerating so how much driveline damage can be attributable to that practice???

Maybe...Ben
ISDTBower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 10:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 111580
on the pressure topic, correct me if I am wrong but it wonk make any pressure until the master has moved enough fluid to get the caliper pad in contact with the rotor, so if you have too small of a bore, while the math shows a higher pressure, in a system with big brakes, it may not make very much pressure at all, correct?

best vendor on pirate...

dragrcr65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2016, 05:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Quote:

Maybe...

Matt
I was in 4 hi the entire time. I could feel the fronts working harder. I'll check their site for the bias info, thanks for the suggestion!
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 60364
Just fyi, but if you'd like to get an estimate for input force, you can put a bathroom scale on your pedal and get a ballpark on what it takes you to feel comfortable on the pedal and use that for calculations.

Last edited by skullver; 05-02-2016 at 08:15 AM.
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
hi-steer ninja

Member # 104639
exactly, stick your bathroom scale against a wall or something and see what is comfy for your manhood size, I use 60#'s normally. in short course racing a higher input force is ok, in a hammers race, driver fatigue will set in if you have to push a 100#s of force hundreds of times over a day.. plus you can always push harder if you needed a touch more pressure in an "o-shit" situation..
I would rather have a high pedal ratio and a larger size master, over a 7:1 and small masters myself.. if you shoot for 1000-1200 psi at the caliper with whatever you feel is a decent pedal pressure, you should have a decent setup.

FORDTECHGURU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 14136
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post

The only issue I see with your math is that 800 lbs at the pushrod on the pedal has to be distributed between both master cylinders.

If the balance beam was adjusted to 50/50 there would then be 400 lbs (800/2) pushing against each master cylinder and then the line pressure becomes approximately 450 psi (1.0625" diameter master cylinder).
Old 05-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Under Powered

Member # 19543
Here's my favorite web page starting point for this discussion: Brake Upgrade

I followed the math and worked out my brakes using the pointers on this page and am happy with what I ended up with on my Frontier. I was still using the stock pedal assembly so it was just a matter of converting from original to the new calipers then working the math backwards to get to a master cylinder size.

onlyonedr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2016, 06:54 AM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
Okay I think I have somewhat of a grasp on stuff here.
If I have a brake system that is balanced (in 2x I can have all 4 lock up together). And the petal has plenty of throw (7:1) And its about as hard to push as I would like.

Is my next option for "Better" brakes bigger diameter rotors (for more leverage) and softer/more aggressive pads?

Offroad Design ♦ Atomic MC ♦ Jantz Engineering
K5runner@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #24 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 356210
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Okay I think I have somewhat of a grasp on stuff here.
If I have a brake system that is balanced (in 2x I can have all 4 lock up together). And the petal has plenty of throw (7:1) And its about as hard to push as I would like.

Is my next option for "Better" brakes bigger diameter rotors (for more leverage) and softer/more aggressive pads?
I suppose, in order to know what would be "better", we'd have to know what you already have.

In a very simple answer, though, as long as everything in the system is proper, then yes - tuning the coefficient of friction relationships would be a next logical step.

EDIT: I should add, I've never worked on a performance brake system on a 4wd system, all my experience comes from dirt late model stuff, where we're constantly fudging with the system to help the car to perform. Front to rear bias, RF shut off to help the car turn, LR shutoff to do the same with a differential or to cut the rear braking in half on an extremely slick track, etc. I'm really interested to learn how the 4wd system changes the dynamics in handling.

Last edited by 496&44s; 05-03-2016 at 07:27 AM.
496&44s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 161303
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDTECHGURU View Post
exactly, stick your bathroom scale against a wall or something and see what is comfy for your manhood size, I use 60#'s normally. in short course racing a higher input force is ok, in a hammers race, driver fatigue will set in if you have to push a 100#s of force hundreds of times over a day.. plus you can always push harder if you needed a touch more pressure in an "o-shit" situation..
I would rather have a high pedal ratio and a larger size master, over a 7:1 and small masters myself.. if you shoot for 1000-1200 psi at the caliper with whatever you feel is a decent pedal pressure, you should have a decent setup.
We use an ANSI standard in my industry to design personnel and burden carriers that uses 125 lbs as the maximum force for emergency braking on a foot pedal. Like you stated, that might be a little high for a racing application but proves you're in the right ball park of where to start. [edit] SAE uses this same max force for light utility vehicles.

Last edited by HotDamnItsTheWeekend; 05-03-2016 at 11:28 AM.
HotDamnItsTheWeekend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in