Noisy Coilovers - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 125646
Noisy Coilovers

This is not a new problem/solution but its a current approach and hopefully will help someone else experiencing similar issues. When I searched, I did not get a very good idea of what to do to solve. One problem was consistent though in that the springs were rubbing on the shock body when they deflect. Why are they deflecting? On mine the spring seat of the sliders is warped. I don't know if it is time or heat or a combination but they are much louder than when first in service about 3 years ago. Some would say spray some Wd40 or silicone spray where it contacts the shock body and let it ride. I agree with some responses that might just make dirt stick to the grease and accelerate the problem of wear. My king's were driving me crazy on the trails making a lot of noise when the spring would contact the shock body and it squeaked like a hooker's mattress.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I decided to try the All German Motorsports sliders to correct the issue. Its very well explained here. https://youtu.be/kaacMh3qW5E

The insert liners fit very tight and are replaceable after they wear. How long they last????
[IMG][/IMG]

By design these are much taller so you may have to adjust your spring stops accordingly to compensate for the hieght and still have your tender and main engage when you want.

[IMG][/IMG]

I installed them on all four corners.

[IMG][/IMG]

These sliders are badass and I hope they cure my shaft chaffing
I will take it for a spin this weekend and report back with how they do.
usethis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
You didn't want to have someone turn down some delrin or ABS to a tigher ID? Seems cheaper and you can control your diameter.

Many people wax the shock body to help with rub, others buy high quality springs. I know Vipers have been known to bend and deflect quite a bit. My Eibach springs only deflected when I lawn darted and snapped both shafts

Your problem seems to be the spring itself is deformed at the coil termination. Have you talked to King about this? Seems like it was not ground correctly or may have bent during use.

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fab Parts:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
My 2" Fox coilovers are noisy as shit too. I have 200/250 PAC springs on and could drop to 175 on top which would make them bow even more. I've seen those AGM sliders and they sure are proud of them but it makes sense how they work. When coils compress they also twist, hence why you get some bowing with lighter springs. I think those AGM sliders allow top and bottom springs to twist separately of each other so I bet they'll cure your problem. Let us know your results. I'm ready to sell these 2.0s and buy 2.5's

generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 687826
Interesting, but pricey. I flipped my Fox sliders upside down so the long end is pointed down keeping the lower spring off the body, and cut the long end off some spare sliders and put them on top of the dual rate stop to keep the top spring off the body.
Softer spring tend to bow a little, regardless of brand.
August West is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
sliders always go long side down.

edit - assuming spring have been properly selected. more on the below

Last edited by mobil1syn; 08-07-2016 at 11:34 AM.
mobil1syn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 328810
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post

I know Vipers have been known to bend and deflect quite a bit.
I can attest to this. I set my rig up with viper coils because I was having issues getting the right spring rates and wanted cheap coils. After 6 months of wheeling on them, I was hitting bumpstop constantly and they deflected like noodles. I would have had to run my adjusters down at least 3 inches from my original setting in order to fix the sag issue. Replaced them with eibach.
JKTweak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 102395
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobil1syn View Post

Not to come off as a smart ass, but can you explain why?

If you were twice as smart you would still be stupid!

But, as with most evil people, they live unnaturally long lives.

Dr Danger
lil,yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobil1syn View Post
Does not really matter which way, long side up gets more slider on the shock body with some spring packages. Always better to have it on the body than off.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil,yota View Post
Not to come off as a smart ass, but can you explain why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
Does not really matter which way, long side up gets more slider on the shock body with some spring packages. Always better to have it on the body than off.
my comment was with the assumption you had the proper spring package. (lower 2" longer than travel of the shock, upper equal to the travel of the shock, unless you have a sway-a-away then its 2" shorter, preload of 1-3", and spring split in the 50-150 lb range)

long side down does two important things
- keeps the spring off the shock at full droop next time you are around a 2.0 that has the spring slider long side up or a king with the short slider, check out the bottom cap of the shock its probably worn out and eaten up.
- puts the stronger end of the slider against the crossover nut and keeps it from splitting and sliding over the crossover nut like pictured below

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/32623818-post665.html

Old 08-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Wow, I have never seen a slider split like that. Makes Me think it had other issues. Since the short side has the same wall thickness as the long side, I fail to see how it would be more resistant to splitting like that. Buckling since it is longer maybe.........

As part of the normal prep, I like to sand the ends of the springs square again on a disk sander. Helps keep the slider from rubbing the can. Even the best springs will bow slightly after use.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
saw a pair of brand new ones blow apart on the front end of a car at koh because they went on upside down. granted it was a racer not a trail wheeler but doesnt make the incorrect way right. the ones posted were on an east coast racer, so im sure they were worn thin from mud over the year.

its the supporting material close by that makes it stronger.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2016, 05:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
If splitting sliders is so common why doesn't anyone make a metal slider with delrin inserts and run a rubber bumper between the nut and the slider?

Sliders are really expensive as far as wear items go.

You could make a 2pc slider with a narrower bore at the ends to keep the insert from coming out and use the spring seats to flange them together.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2016, 06:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
If splitting sliders is so common why doesn't anyone make a metal slider with delrin inserts and run a rubber bumper between the nut and the slider?

Sliders are really expensive as far as wear items go.

You could make a 2pc slider with a narrower bore at the ends to keep the insert from coming out and use the spring seats to flange them together.
Rubber will fall apart too. And you just described the AGM sliders posted above

Old 08-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 125646
Well I took the jeep for a spin this weekend and I am happy with the AGM sliders. Everything was very quite and smooth. Yes, the AGM are an aluminum body with a wearable inserts. I don't know if it is the 2 piece design but the spring function feels very smooth between tender and main transitions. I did adjust my transition stops to favor a little more time on the tender. The real test will be a long trail ride and long term report for dutrability but so far they are doing what I expected them to do.

Someone mentioned they are pricey and yes I agree with that but if they can help me get the best out of my suspension, then I am happy with that.
usethis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee7 View Post
Rubber will fall apart too. And you just described the AGM sliders posted above
They looked like one piece of plastic to me. That justifies some of the price.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 08-08-2016 at 09:58 AM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
pac racing also make some metal with an insert sliders. no idea on price
Old 08-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Here are the PAC ones. Not sure how I feel about 2 big washers on aluminum to provide a smooth surface for the springs to move about as they do. I like the AGM design a lot more and they are comparable in price

Double Spring Sliders - PAC Racing Springs

Old 12-14-2016, 02:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 113388
How are the agm sliders holding up? Still Quiet? Still smooth??
weswes01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Still rocking these things or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usethis View Post
Well I took the jeep for a spin this weekend and I am happy with the AGM sliders. Everything was very quite and smooth. Yes, the AGM are an aluminum body with a wearable inserts. I don't know if it is the 2 piece design but the spring function feels very smooth between tender and main transitions. I did adjust my transition stops to favor a little more time on the tender. The real test will be a long trail ride and long term report for dutrability but so far they are doing what I expected them to do.

Someone mentioned they are pricey and yes I agree with that but if they can help me get the best out of my suspension, then I am happy with that.
HankScorpi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpi0 View Post
Still rocking these things or what?
I put the AGMs on my Kings for my Rock buggy and my Jeep back in 2011.

I sold my kings that were on my rock buggy and went to ORI struts. But, the guy who bought those coilovers is still using them on his buggy today, and the sliders are still holding up great with about 5 trips a year to Johnson Valley and Sand Hollow.

I still have the Kings with AGM sliders on my Jeep, and 40,000 miles later they have held up great and have never been removed. They made my jeep much quieter and really stopped the shock-body wear that was happening with the factory sliders.

I was skeptical of spending so much on sliders back in 2011, but it turned out to be a good investment in the long run.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in