How do you store your metal? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2004, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 14570
How do you store your metal?

Searching yielded nothing. Show me pics of your metal storage racks. I gotta get this tube off the floor of my garage!
Hickeyjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2004, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 191
all of my new high $$ DOM tube is stored either on my garage floor under my boat, or in my 6" PVC tubes with end caps on both
ends... oiled when stored.. these are mounted on brackets just
under the roof eaves on my garage.....

--sherpa

SHERPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2004, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 14570
Quote:
Originally posted by SHERPA
6" PVC tubes with end caps on both
ends... oiled when stored.. these are mounted on brackets just
under the roof eaves on my garage.....

--sherpa
That's a pretty cool idea
Hickeyjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2004, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Broke Bastard

Member # 1129
look at all that junk
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2004, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Haven't quite gotten there yet, but unless I hear a better idea..

My new shop is 28' deep. The work bay has a pretty shallow stub of wall between the door and wall, shallow enough I don't intend to put equipment down that wall - I need the room just to walk around the rig.

However, I think I'l use that same wall for steel storage.

My plan is to get some of the slotted shelf "system" uprights from Home Depot and mount to every stud down that wall (~14 of 'em), from just off the floor up to the 6' mark or so (I have a window in the wall, probably bring it up about even with the bottom of the window, and then just put fixed shelves above the window).

Idea is to get some of the shelf brackets that snap into the slots, then add some hooks/ends to 'em to catch the tube.

Then toss full sticks of tubing on the "empty" shelf brackets (no real shelf)

The slotted track setup will let me adjust the whole setup as needed to accomodate whatever I'm stocking up on at the time. I can make short "shelves" for smaller pieces, longer areas for full sticks, tall or short sections depending on quantities, etc.

Should keep the steel up off the floor, and I can't use the wall for much else anyhow..
Old 03-30-2004, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
jca

Member # 14337
Send a message via AIM to jca
On the wall
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2004, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 26472
I'd be real careful about using residential shelving track and brackets to support the weight of tubing, angle or whatever. Also, 6' up in the air is going to provide alot of leverage against wood screws into studs, whether metal or wood.
I'd opt for a free standing floor rack that would occupy the same amount of real estate. This is very easy to mmake.
Kaiser5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2004, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser5
I'd be real careful about using residential shelving track and brackets to support the weight of tubing, angle or whatever. Also, 6' up in the air is going to provide alot of leverage against wood screws into studs, whether metal or wood.
I'd opt for a free standing floor rack that would occupy the same amount of real estate. This is very easy to mmake.
So in your world, would having the shelfs only 4' up in the air produce less leverage?

Just curious.

Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2004, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 25347
I dont have a picture but I welded some 12 inch rods to an old frame and leaned it against the out side of the shop. It is under the eave and stays pretty dry and off the ground. Cheap and easy, just the way I like em....
Old 03-30-2004, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 7938
There are some ideas in this thread......

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ighlight=racks
7938 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 06:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 3321
Send a message via AIM to Ken Carter / BRUISER
Quote:
Originally posted by jca
On the wall
Ditto

a hard to see in this pic, but all mine is on back wall of shop.

I just used 2x4's to make wall mount.
Attached Images

Tread Lightly Master Trainer

My Builds:

Ken Carter / BRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 06:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 8228
Send a message via AIM to broncorob
Quote:
Originally posted by Travis Waldher

So in your world, would having the shelfs only 4' up in the air produce less leverage?

Just curious.

I was wondering the same thing
Old 03-31-2004, 07:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
floor mount rack up against the wall.

shitty pic, but its the only one i could find.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 08:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Unstoppable Force

Member # 24296
All of our longer or more expensive peices are stored on the shop floor, no matter what we do it will rust. So all the scraps(4' or less gets put in my failed attempt of a bed bob

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
toymoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 08:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
I used some wood to built a rack on the back wall of my shop (30' long) that will hold about five 20 foot sticks of 1 3/4" tube. The tubes all sit one on top of the other, so there is little leverage, just the loaded weight.

>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 09:03 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 13410
Send a message via ICQ to TJ Fan Send a message via AIM to TJ Fan Send a message via Yahoo to TJ Fan
This is what we use...they also work good for storeing the flat plate we use on our CNC plasma table. Its a little large for a home shop though.
Attached Images

Phone: 330-549-9082
Custom Axles, CNC Machining (Vertical, Horizontal and Lathe Work), Welding and Bending

TJ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 09:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
D60

Member # 6398
Quote:
Originally posted by InsaneEd
I dont have a picture but I welded some 12 inch rods to an old frame and leaned it against the out side of the shop. It is under the eave and stays pretty dry and off the ground. Cheap and easy, just the way I like em....
This is almost exactly what I'm considering. I've got two Ford frames here.........I'm thinking lean them together to form an "A", weld them together like that, then weld horizontal arms off the framerails on each side. Cheap, easy A-frame rack and it gets cool points for being made of truck frames.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:20 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser5
I'd be real careful about using residential shelving track and brackets to support the weight of tubing, angle or whatever.
Well, I was hoping to go with the heaviest class of stuff I could find.. the one that comes to mind sports 600lbs per shelf-bracket ratings, and if I put a vertical track on each stud and run it at least 25' for full sticks of tube, that's 13 or so studs/uprights and 13 or so brackets at 600lbs per..

Seems the 2x6 wall studs would be my weak link.

A full stick of 2"x.120 weighs what.. between 50 and 75lbs? (2.x per foot, IIRC).

Quote:

Also, 6' up in the air is going to provide alot of leverage against wood screws into studs, whether metal or wood.
In theory the loads will mostly be vertical, putting the nails/screws in shear, and trying to compress the 2x6 stud vertically..

----

All of this talk of frames..

I built my tire rack out of a spare Scout II frame.. cut the ends and narrowed it, added some legs, called it a day. Heavy, though.

I've been thinking of using something like a frame (or plain old 3x3 or so square tubing) and burying it vertically in the ground behind the shop.

Then use extra chunks of frame/tube to add "branches" to the uprights.

Then load the extra axle housings.

Keep 'em up out of the snow, and take up less space, and a lot less tripping on them.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 1613
Quote:
Originally posted by tsm1mt

Well, I was hoping to go with the heaviest class of stuff I could find.. the one that comes to mind sports 600lbs per shelf-bracket ratings, and if I put a vertical track on each stud and run it at least 25' for full sticks of tube, that's 13 or so studs/uprights and 13 or so brackets at 600lbs per..
That is a lot of shelf brackets I'd do something more like every 4' and that should be plenty enough. That would get you about 6 brackets per shelf.

Last edited by CJBoxer; 04-01-2004 at 12:28 PM.
CJBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2004, 12:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Quote:
Originally posted by CJBoxer

That is a lot of shelf brackets I'd do something more like every 4' and that should be plenty enough. That would get you about 6 brackets per shelf.
I agree, 6 per "shelf" of tube should be fine. I can add more if I have to.

I'm considering "tracks" on each stud for other reasons though.. it would let me mix and match shorter and/or taller lengths to accomodate cut pieces in any combination I choose.

Say, 30" long pieces..

..'course, we'll see how I feel about that when I'm at HD with cash in hand..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in