Dana 44/9 hybrid - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 98875
Dana 44/9 hybrid

This has been discussed before and I searched and found most of the threads in it. However, all the threads ended up with everyone advising building a 609 hybrid instead. I understand the advantage of the 609, but let explain.

I have at my desposal a Scout 44, a full width 9", and a dummy 8 lug 44. My current rig that I'm starting a build on has the dummy 8 lug and I obviously need to replace it with a 4wd capable front axle. My transfercase is a driver's drop (hence why the scout 44 won't work) and my rear axle, wheels, and tires are 8 bolt. I have to keep this as cost effective as possible, so buying a Dana 60 in today's market is out of the question. What do y'all think of combining the three axles to make a full width, 8 bolt, 9" front axle. Is this even possible? I'm not afraid of the work, and for my purposes the lower hanging 9" and weaker 44 components won't phase me. I just haven't gotten a good feel for if this is even doable since ever thread gets derailed by people stating that the OP should do a 609 instead.
Desert YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2016, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 48117
Definitely do-able, but, in my opinion, it's a lot of work for marginal gains with the D44 outers. You'll need to machine the D44 C's, have custom inner shafts made, match the spline counts (35 spline would be easiest) or the inner shafts and diff, alignment bar during welding, etc.

You could also build a 9" with D50 outers...
mrrisotto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 103782
I wouldn't. I'd stick with the 44. Sheet metal 9 inch housings arnt really ment to be a full floater. You'd have to truss the crap out of it. Inner axles seal are another problem you'd encounter. A 44 center is stout enough or could be built (jk gears and such) to keep up with any shafts in the 44 size and flavor. I'd find a hi pinion 44 in you local pic n pull.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 213911
Sell everything and buy SD Dana 50. Convert to 8x6.5
Sell 9" and 44 and buy Ford 44 to convert to 8 bolt

Building 9" with 44 outers it would likely cost as mush as buying a Dana 60.
ironfist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2016, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 585041
Sd Dana 50...have some bad thoughts about these and ttb 50 spindles/hubs...maybe stubs too, havent had the disposable time/money to wander the junkyard to build an axle that wouldnt work in my chevy...

Might be worth investigating. Theres a Sd50 at the local pick n pull, I think its $129 plus tax...pretty cheap
Dick Vineyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2016, 05:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
I've built a few hybrids and that axle combo doesn't make sense unless you're specifically going for the drop out 3rd member. Like everyone else has said, find a D50 and build a 609 from that. You get MUCH better brakes, big unit bearings, bigger knuckles, bigger shafts, ect than a 44/9 hybrid at just the price of a D50. I paid $50 for my last D50....
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in