10 bolt rear end new bearings HELP!!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2016, 06:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 269370
10 bolt rear end new bearings HELP!!!

Hey guys. So my boss has been having issues with his avalanche. He grabbed the yolk and it had play in it. Which told us that the pinion bearings were out. I've done this in the past on other vehicles without having to reshim, as it stayed the same, not change in the gear mesh and what not...I'm no diff expert by any means.

So he gets some pinion bearings, seal, and new crush sleeve. He comes over yesterday right after noon. We work on it until about 7pm last night and ran into issues. His carrier bearings were toast as well. Gears looked fine. So he ran to the parts store and got new carrier bearings. In the mean time I texted my neighbor who does this a little more than I do. He said that generally speaking you are fine with installing new carrier bearings as well without the need of reshimming.

So I get the old bearings off, get the new ones pressed on. The factory cast shims just will not go. So I take it back out, take a look at things, then try it again. This time it is going, or so it seems....SNAP, yep f*ck me....Broke the cast shim on the right side. So I'm frustrated at this point. We have no new shims, girlfriend is getting ready to get off from work to stay the night, work in the morning. My boss calls around and he finds a shim kit about 45 minutes away that he is going to go pick up today since we work about 20 minutes from there.

I asked my neighbor and he said it is possible the new bearings are a little bit bigger. So I'm guessing that we will need to get some gear compound, and just shim the left and right side until we get the pattern that we need? If both bearings are the same size as original just bigger, then we just need to compensate that and everything else should be fine, correct?

I don't have a dial indicator to check backlash, but I might be able to get a hold of my neighbor tonight to use his.
Matholland618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 490001
would have been cheaper and easier to find a replacement 10 bolt in the junk yard and just slap it in there

quasi replacing parts just on that axle and do it half ass is kinda of worthless and a moot point now.
RIPPEDK20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2016, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 269370
Yes probably.....Unfortunately what's done is done...Already installed new pinion bearings, set the preload, and installed the carrier bearings

Old 09-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Bullshit. 10b 8.6 are fucking $$$ because theyre all shit and smoked.

My old suppliers yard charged 800-1100 depending on the exact model

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 341914
the bearings could possibly have a thou or two difference but should have been able to get them in with the stock shims as long as the bearings are all the way onto the carrier and you kept the shims in the stock location.

Check your pattern and set backlash, your almost there.
taylorbok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 269370
The carrier basically fell out when I took the bearing retainers off to pull the carrier out. I did not have to pry it out at all. It was all done by hand. I put the races on the bearings and pressed them down. I double checked, the bearings are for sure seated all the way onto the carrier. It definitely would not go in the housing with the stock cast shims....Once I thought it was going, then it broke the cast shim into 3 pieces....Didn't realize they were cast.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 269370
Well I talked to my neighbor last night....We got some shims yesterday and we got a magnetic dial indicator that will be here today. My neighbor said to use one of the factory cast shims (measure them and make sure they are the same size with a caliper and they were). Put the cast shim on the right hand side and fill in the gap tight enough that you have to tap the carrier in and check the backlash/gear pattern. He said you might find out you are good to go, so hopefully everything goes smooth tonight.

Last edited by Matholland618; 09-27-2016 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
FoMoCo MoFo

Member # 79002
Location: My little kingdom of awesome. Near Olympia, Thurston county, Wa
It's a 10 bolt... It's disposable. Start looking for a 6 lug semi float 14 bolt.

Quote:
I want everyone to have everything. I want gays to be able to fuck each other in the ass, in the middle of a field of weed while shooting pistols in the air like yosemite sam shouting that there is no god.
Totalled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2016, 07:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 269370
For something that's getting wheeled, I completely agree...But for a daily driver, I disagree.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 490001
Quote:
Originally Posted by total newb View Post
Bullshit. 10b 8.6 are fucking $$$ because theyre all shit and smoked.

My old suppliers yard charged 800-1100 depending on the exact model
i went through 4 of them in my 05...cost me $150 each at a salvage yard, just had to swap over my brakes, new lube etc.

the cost may be true depending on what options their was. but i didnt experience $800.

did everything turn out alright?
RIPPEDK20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2016, 07:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Around here you cant find them in pnp. Theyre all gone or diff/shafts yanked because govloc and axle shaft brg wear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 213125
People want stupid cash for a 10 bolt around here. $600 to 700. I find it rediculous that they want that much money for a garbage axle.
Aisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matholland618 View Post
For something that's getting wheeled, I completely agree...But for a daily driver, I disagree.
Of the 30+ exploded govlocs ive repaired, 2 had larger than stock tires and were on veh that MIGHT have been off road. Everything else was bone stock dd trucks.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 269370
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPEDK20 View Post
i went through 4 of them in my 05...cost me $150 each at a salvage yard, just had to swap over my brakes, new lube etc.

the cost may be true depending on what options their was. but i didnt experience $800.

did everything turn out alright?

I'll know tonight...Got the shims, and the magnetic dial indicator just got here...fingers crossed all goes well tonight after work.

Last edited by Matholland618; 09-27-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 113606
Just go slow when reinstalling the carrier. I had the same thing happen on my '01 chevy 1500. Carrier bearings took a shit. Changed them out, started putting diff back in a broke a shim. Said fuck it, ground a slight v in the shim, clamped it flat with tubing, welded back together and ground back flat. Reinstalled more carefully the next time. Put about 50k miles on it after that and finally traded it in.

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by [B]Muddin [/B]

It wasn't a little "achoo". It was "achsshemmiddtpppthpphphphphtsmmmppp...spray".[/QUOTE]
j20brett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016, 07:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 269370
j20brett...We did something similar last night except used the new shims as a filler. My neighbor told me to try putting in the factory shim on the right hand side and use the shims we bought to fill in the other side. I knew that the shim was too big, otherwise I would have welded it back up...When I had both shims in there I couldn't even turn the diff without a pry bar it was so tight. I used the 2 biggest shims which were smaller than the original. I checked the backlash and it was about .0065" which was within spec because it was supposed to be .005-.009. We didn't have any of the yellow gear compound and I read were some people were using prussian blue....we picked up some because that's all you could find locally...It sucked ass....Could barely tell, but it seemed to be as if everything looked good from the little pattern it did make...

So we threw it all back together and went down the road to test it out....He has what I believe is some gear wine now unfortunately. Inside, it's much quieter than it was, and he isn't so sure that noise wasn't there already...However, I have my doubts on the gear pattern since it was so hard to tell. I told him that it worried me, and I apologize, but it's not something that I necessarily knew how to do, and he didn't either. He accepted that and told me he appreciated my time.

In the back of my mind, I feel like something isn't right in there, but for all I know, it could be a noise coming from the transmission, or even the front end. I couldn't tell, and the plan is to get my action cam and see if I can get it on video. The faster you go, the louder the wine, when you let off, it almost stops.

Last edited by Matholland618; 09-28-2016 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Case Spreader.

One of my next tools to fab up. I have had enough of gearing axles that don't have side adjusters, and have busted the stock shims as well.

Getting everything to go in perfectly straight, also helps the situation. As soon as you get it slightly angled, and then start hitting things with rubber mallets etc, that is when shims snap.

Edit: The noise going away when letting off power to the gears sounds about right.

Last edited by Deuling; 09-28-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Deuling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in