Tubing Bender/Notcher - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 269370
Tubing Bender/Notcher

Hey guys! I've been toying around with purchasing a tubing bender and a notcher to start playing around with some tubing myself. I just purchased my first home with a 30x40 pole barn, and I know I will spend a lot of time out there. I currently have a Cherokee that I would like to build an exo cage for...Also, my last wheeling trip turned into a broken long arm due to the previous owner and very thin tubing. I've always got an offroad toy of some sort, so I feel like it would be a wise investment for me, and I feel like it would be fun.

I know that the JD2 bender is a popular bender, but I stumbled across the RogueFab, and it looks like people really like them. The weld together one with 1 die and the air/hydraulic ram is $680. They also have a notcher for $399. I know that they run specials on them cyber Monday, and its around the corner.

My question is, what is my best route? I've seen this type of stuff done, but never had one. One of my buddies has one that stands up and has all the dies for it that they used for a long time until they bought their JMR. Am I better off to go with a type like that? Are they cheaper, or would I regret it?

Does anyone have experience with the RogueFab stuff? Is the weld together kit pretty easy to assemble, or should I pay the extra to get one welded and powdercoated, or go a different route all together? Obviously, I would like to go as cheap as I can while being something that isn't junk. I know those 2 terms do not typically mix, but yeah.
Matholland618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 41097
Send a message via MSN to mustange70
Buy whichever one you have access to more dies for. However, the rogue fab bender is, I believe, a better machine (and is what I have), plus its already setup for hydraulic.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 269370
Here was the other thought...

Rather than use DOM, I know that a lot of people use sch 40/80 for cages/long arms and what not.

If that isn't the direction I need to go either, then say so...It was just a thought, and honestly I have not researched this enough....I know with DOM tubing, it seems like 1.75 .120 wall is the die that I would go with.

Since I don't do this as a full time hobby and what not, would I be better off (and cheaper) to start out on say a 16 ton hydraulic press from HF to bend SCH40 pipe (since I know those will not bend tubing)?

mustange70- did you get the weld together kit?

Last edited by Matholland618; 11-03-2016 at 11:01 AM.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
if it isn't something you will be doing often, have you considered finding somebody in your area who already has one and paying them to get your bent tubes bent, then cut/notch/weld it together yourself? I know that, in my area at least, some of the local metal suppliers offer services such as bending and cutting and such at fairly reasonable prices.

I have the rogue fab notcher and has used the baleigh and cheapo northern tool/Harbor freight style notchers, like the rogue fab the best personally and will be getting their bender to match.

the front half of my cage is sch 40 pipe, the back half is DOM, both have held up well. front half has no bends, rear has a couple. didn't want to buy multiple dies. when I redo it, all bent pieces will be 1.75" and either .188, .120 or 0.090 wall tube depending on location. again, because I am cheap and don't want to buy many dies

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums

Last edited by Provience; 11-03-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 269370
Well, I would probably do it more often if I had one. Part of it is me wanting to do it, me having the tools to do it...etc. I live in a small town...There are a few guys I know that will do custom cages and stuff...However, I want to learn how to do it.

I guess what I was getting at, is if I was to use sch 40 or 80, then I could purchase one of the pipe benders and learn how to bend and get the hang of notching and what not as well as figure out bendtech software.

As far as wheeling, I'm not an extreme offroad guy. I like to have fun, I like to beat around, but don't have the cash to have rock bouncers and what not. With all of that being said, I bash on stuff, but pretty gentle compared to a lot of people here. I feel like sch 40/80 would probably be more than enough for cherokee's and stuff that they would be going on.

HOWEVER. I'm just not sure if I am better off to go ahead and buy a rogue fab notcher/bender or just buy the notcher and get a pipe bender since it comes with multiple dies for about 1/4th of the cost.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 41097
Send a message via MSN to mustange70
Quote:
Rather than use DOM, I know that a lot of people use sch 40/80 for cages/long arms and what not.
You have some learning to do. This comment, learn what DOM is, then learn what sch40/80 is. I can DOM in sch40 thickness, as i said you have some learning to do.

Yes I bought the weld together kit.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustange70 View Post
You have some learning to do. This comment, learn what DOM is, then learn what sch40/80 is. I can DOM in sch40 thickness, as i said you have some learning to do.
This, do some searches on pipe cages.....

Here your spoon feeding.
Bender

Quote:
What ever you do, please do not suck start a shot gun.

Stick it up your ass...that way you're likely to hit something vital.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
E. Spengler

Member # 206384
Here are some cheap ass ideas. Scrap+$300 die.

Based on the ProTools HMP-200.
lowest cost for a tubing bender - Page 2

Made a bender with a 12ton press - OFN Forums
Old 11-04-2016, 05:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 84917
I am running a Woodward fab bender, it's based off a pro tools, and does a good job. Not as good as a pro tools, but good. If your budget is so tight that your having too look at poop pipe and a HF bender, keep saving your money.
Find a friend with a bender and ask for help. They are not the most used tools out there, mine sits in the corner 99% of the time. If you don't already have a decent welder, that would be my first thing too look at. Then go take some classes and learn how too weld properly.

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
and Today is a Gift
That's why they call it the Present
blugreenformula is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2016, 07:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 269370
I ended up purchasing a RogueFab weld together kit with bend-tech pro. I have a buddy that has bend-tech pro, and he is going to give me the run down on it. Hopefully I get the hang of it pretty quick. I priced some hrew tubing and its about $35 a stick and dom is around $75 a stick locally. I haven't bought a notcher yet. I can't decide which one I want to go with. I figured I will get the bender put together and get the software figured out before I purchase a notcher.

Last edited by Matholland618; 12-30-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matholland618 View Post
I ended up purchasing a RogueFab weld together kit with bend-tech pro. I have a buddy that has bend-tech pro, and he is going to give me the run down on it. Hopefully I get the hang of it pretty quick. I priced some hrew tubing and its about $35 a stick and dom is around $75 a stick locally. I haven't bought a notcher yet. I can't decide which one I want to go with. I figured I will get the bender put together and get the software figured out before I purchase a notcher.
You're on the right track then. I bought the woodward fan bender and notcher. Both work well. I have the 1 1/2 pipe die. I made 2 bends and it has sat in the corner since. I do want to prep my truck for a possible ua entrance application next year, so i will be using the bender to put a cage in my pos. There will be more uses I'm sure. Post up some of your creations.
sterlingfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 328810
I have a JD2 model 3. It's pretty dang nice. If you go that route, expect to do the air over hydro conversion. Not just for ease of use, but you no longer have to bolt it to the floor.

Last edited by JKTweak; 12-30-2016 at 10:53 AM.
JKTweak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2016, 05:58 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 684754
i use Rogue Fab bender and notcher. I built a cart for my bender, so i can wheel it anywhere, i don't have to bolt it down, it bends vertically, and it comes ready for air /hydro. best money ive spent on tooling yet.
RMKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2016, 09:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 229476
JD2 with a $35 trailer jack spun by an electric drill. Bends 1.75" DOM without needing to be bolted to the floor.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
the air over hydro looks slow as molasses.
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2016, 10:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 328810
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
the air over hydro looks slow as molasses.
For a garage build it's plenty fast. Faster than manual.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 103782
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTweak View Post
For a garage build it's plenty fast. Faster than manual.
Hell yeah its way faster than manual, and so much easier to watch your degree wheel. The biggest bonus is being able to roll it out of the way when not in use.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
JD2 with a $35 trailer jack spun by an electric drill. Bends 1.75" DOM without needing to be bolted to the floor.

This is fuckin genius! Ima do it for sure. How did you sure the end of the jack to the arm? Looks like a piece of pipe cut in half length wise and weld to the bottom...viola, much better than manual! He'll you could keep the handle on and still do it manual if you like.

Also, my woodward fab bender is very very similar to your jd2. Is mine a copy? Do you think the dies are interchangeable?

Last edited by sterlingfire; 12-31-2016 at 02:00 PM.
sterlingfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2016, 08:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 328810
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabemro View Post
Hell yeah its way faster than manual, and so much easier to watch your degree wheel. The biggest bonus is being able to roll it out of the way when not in use.
I rent. Went out and bought the proper hardware and a masonry bit, figuring it would be easy to fill in the holes when I move out. Also, one car garage, so I would have to be extremely selective in picking a location. Got about 1/2" into one hole and said fuck it and ordered everything from SWAG offroad. I had also considered mounting it to my car hauler, but I figure it would have been impossible to keep level.

Once I move to a bigger place with an actual shop I wouldnt have a problem with mounting it to the floor in a good location.

I kinda want to rig up a foot pedal.

Last edited by JKTweak; 12-31-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 328810
Quote:

That's pretty legit. What is the max bend you can make without backing off and moving pins? I get about 60 degrees with the air over hydro.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:52 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTweak View Post
That's pretty legit. What is the max bend you can make without backing off and moving pins? I get about 60 degrees with the air over hydro.
around 50+ or so. It's pretty quick too. For smaller tubing you can put the drill on high speed and really rip through the bends
Old 01-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 573842
Quote:

Well, I know what I'm doing to mine now!!! Thanks for the idea!
Metalguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 328810
Quote:
around 50+ or so. It's pretty quick too. For smaller tubing you can put the drill on high speed and really rip through the bends
That's nice. You could probably get really fancy and buy one of those electric trailer jacks. They might be slow as balls though.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 573842
Went to tractor supply today and they had a sale on a 2K a-frame jack for $20. Cut up some scrap and welded it on and BAM! I wonder about making an extension for the end that could slip in to allow more angle of bend? I welded my coupling piece right to the jack foot after I trimmed it down. This way I can reconfigure easier if needed.

Sorry for the hijack, that was just such a badass idea!!!
Metalguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalguy View Post
Went to tractor supply today and they had a sale on a 2K a-frame jack for $20. Cut up some scrap and welded it on and BAM! I wonder about making an extension for the end that could slip in to allow more angle of bend? I welded my coupling piece right to the jack foot after I trimmed it down. This way I can reconfigure easier if needed.

Sorry for the hijack, that was just such a badass idea!!!
what is the stroke length on the jack you picked up? Mine will go 14 inches, and to keep from over extending it, I put a paint mark on the inside tubing so that I know when I'm close to maximum extension.

If the jack I have ever fails on me, I may pick up a longer one, though I guess no matter what it would have to be re-pinned to get 90 degrees.

Last edited by danielbuck; 01-05-2017 at 10:47 AM.
danielbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in