Buggy exhaust routing - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 140551
Buggy exhaust routing

Wrote up this big ole post then closed it before i hit send so here we go agian

Trying to work out my exhaust 5.3 pass drop axle.

Seen a few do the pass header up and over the trans and then connect to the driver and go down the chassis. Like this

That was my original plan. Im just not too sure about all the heat going right by my feet. Maybe a heat shield between my exhaust and aluminum floor?

Then i saw this from sniper fab

Ive only ever seen LS motors with a Y pipe or an x/h pipe. IS there a reason i cant do it this way and make it way easier to package? I have simular room under my rockers for my mufflers just like this.

Or does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?
Old 12-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Run dual through the rockers, or run a car intake and build up swept headers like a bomber. I've only seen a couple buggies with exhaust run over the bellhousing, all had heat issues and what you pictured is very restrictive. These engines need to breathe.
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 189239
Packaging is the reason. The front driveline off the t case usually dictates which side you can fit the exhaust.
YROC FAB. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 103782
All an "x", "y" or "h" pipe does is tie both sides of the engine together. It helps in scavenging the exhaust flow. Scavenging is when the flow of the last cylinder exhaust flow helps remove the next in the series and so on. This does help make more power because the left an right bank can work together. The power loss of no crossover pipe is minimal if I had to guess I'd say 3-5%. A crossover pipe also smooths the exhaust tone and will reduce noise 1-2 decibels.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 53528
just an idea but you could maybe do a mix of both setups

do the dual exhaust but make a cross over pipe over the trans, only make it out of 1.5" ish pipe as it doesnt need to be full size imo
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 140551
Well this is good info. Saves me a ton of work and headache. Now I just need to look around and find what mufflers to run.

Rockyota I like your crossover idea. Wouldn't be that hard to toss a crossover in there. I'm just not sure how much of a difference that would make though with the distance between the banks. Would probably be 2ft apart. But it couldnt hurt.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal_Chris View Post
Well this is good info. Saves me a ton of work and headache. Now I just need to look around and find what mufflers to run.

Rockyota I like your crossover idea. Wouldn't be that hard to toss a crossover in there. I'm just not sure how much of a difference that would make though with the distance between the banks. Would probably be 2ft apart. But it couldnt hurt.

honestly i couldnt say what if any difference it would make as im not experienced with exhaust systems and engine performance, it was merely an idea stemmed from observing the pics and the discussion.
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 126355
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal_Chris View Post
IMHO the best bang for your $ and space will be the dynomax race bullet. Super compact, and are produced in a multitude of lengths and diameters. But it'll be a loud
Attached Images

Bent Fabrications Evo 2 Coupe
IG: @RxOffroad
scottapher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 140551
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottapher View Post
IMHO the best bang for your $ and space will be the dynomax race bullet. Super compact, and are produced in a multitude of lengths and diameters. But it'll be a loud
I was looking at those race bullets. Price seemed pretty good and the size is killer.

How loud are we talking? I'm coming from a 4cyl so I'll be happy to hear some v8 whooopow. I guess if it's too loud I can route the exhaust out the back of my buggy instead of dumping behind seats.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 1636
I have 14x3 race bullets basically on the collectors of my long tube headers, with turn downs at the back of the subframe. It's loud but not open headers loud. Some tailpipes would quiet it up decently.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock Stacker

Member # 65066
Here's what I found out.
Chambered mufflers are too loud.
Fiberglass filled or high temp filled really takes the sound down.
The more filler the more sound absorption.
Offset inlet and outlet force sound into side of core as it bends absorbing sound.
Mufflers close to headers can handle the heat if they are good ones. Lots of companies offer collector mufflers that do burn out.
Filled mufflers can insulate heat better than straight pipe near the headers.
Long length exhaust can be more of a hassle and a safety issue than worth the performance gains.
I am now running dual Borla PRO XS 3" offset mufflers mounted right after the log manifolds and about 3 feet of 3 inch tube after the mufflers.

Last edited by HydroDynamic; 12-04-2016 at 02:42 PM.
HydroDynamic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 23853
Send a message via AIM to DarkEternal Send a message via Skype™ to DarkEternal
I run a single race bullet on my 5.3, its really not that bad. I do have a pretty long tail pipe (truck frame) which im sure helps some. Idle sounds nice, it only gets louder when you really get on it. Its quieter most of the time than a Jeep 4.0 with a glass pack.
DarkEternal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 1636
I had a single Moroso Spiral Flow muffler on my old buggy. It's definitely quieter than the race bullets but it still sounded great. It might not flow enough for a racer but for a trail rig it's perfect. about the size of a race bullet too.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Quote:

Scott, what size exhaust are you running? 2.5" all the way out? I was going to do a y pipe under the oil pan but with the driveshaft stuffed at full bump, on the passenger side it was extremely tight. Just couldn't get it to work. So I'm going to snake it out between the rockers and dump it passed the rear crossmember.

Last edited by the_white_shadow; 12-04-2016 at 03:50 PM.
the_white_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2016, 07:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 126355
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_white_shadow View Post
Scott, what size exhaust are you running? 2.5" all the way out? I was going to do a y pipe under the oil pan but with the driveshaft stuffed at full bump, on the passenger side it was extremely tight. Just couldn't get it to work. So I'm going to snake it out between the rockers and dump it passed the rear crossmember.
Yup, 2.5 aluminized all the way back. The stock C6 manifold opens up to 2.5 so I ran with it.

Bent Fabrications Evo 2 Coupe
IG: @RxOffroad
scottapher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2016, 08:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Quote:
Yup, 2.5 aluminized all the way back. The stock C6 manifold opens up to 2.5 so I ran with it.
Yeah, I couldnt get a y-pipe to work so I switched out my ebay special block huggers to a set of LS3 Camaro manifolds.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
ARB,NITRO,RCV vendor

Member # 485986
We're running a y-pipe that crosses under the oil pan to the passenger side where it merges to a 4" pipe, then routing to the magna flow race muffler.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lowest Prices on Lift Kits, Winches, Lockers, gears and much more
Marysville, WA
888-672-3305

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Barefoot_Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in