the Stoolbus----a bentfab evo build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2016, 03:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 41679
the Stoolbus----a bentfab evo build

I built this rig between feb and may of this year. although it still has a lot that needs to be finished I managed to put it through its paces this year and find out what works and what doesn't.

I figured I would do a write up on the build for reference to others since some of the drivetrain is a little different than the typical ls engine build but can apply to Toyotas and jeeps as well.

to start off I hadn't had a v8 in a rig since the old mud truck days. I did the mud thing while stationed in North Carolina. after moving to alaska I started building Cherokees and comanches for use in exploring trails . next I moved back to the east coast and transitioned from an exploration type rig to strictly rockcrawling building up a few samurais and then morphing them into buggies. This time I wanted to start with a pile of tube and skip over the hacked up sheetmetal to buggy style build.

since everyone wants to know specs of what you are using heres what I ended up with

bentfab evo4 turned evo2 chassis
lexus 1uz motor hooked to jeep aw4 to atlas 3.8
dana 60 frt. 5.13s solid 6 lug conversion Yukon shafts comp zip locker solid knuckles and artec keyed arms
14 bolt rear welded.solid 6 lug hubs. discs and 5.13s
corbeau seats
RADesigns winters shifter for aw4
triangulated 4 link front and rear with ruffstuff heims.
39 reds on raceline monster beadlocks.
psc full hydro steering with cbr pump
griffen rad with dual spal fans.
ads 14" coilovers and bumps at all 4 corners.

A little morning wake up call to start the thread off because everyone likes the sound of rev limiters first thing in the morning.

#4511 Codawg
finished koh emc 2014 10th place

#4493 co-dawg
finished koh 2013 18th position

Last edited by ole' manche'; 12-06-2016 at 04:04 AM.
ole' manche' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2016, 03:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 41679
originally I hadn't planned on building a new buggy but wanted to just throw a v8 in my old rig (the cobra build in the samurai section.)it had a Toyota 3rz hooked to an aw4 to a box for rocks doubler and an atlas.

I was messing around on pirate one day and started reading about lexus 1uz motors and how you could mate them to an aw4. that sounded like a good thing to me because I could keep most of my current rig and just swap the motor.

I had about half on hour of research into using a 1uz so I jumped on craigslist to see if I could even find one. I figured it might be kind of difficult since they were in older cars and I thought they would either be junked or super expensive because they were found in lexus cars.

As luck would have it there was a complete car with a 1uz for $500 was just 10 minutes down the road! I never get that lucky with craigslist. so within a few hours of first reading about a 1uz I had a the trailer hooked on and a pocket full of cash and was headed to take a look.

the car had been sitting, a victim of having too much rust to pass inspection and needing some exhaust repairs that the owner couldn't do himself. it fired up with a good battery and seemed to run ok as I ripped it up and down the road. the guy admitted needing money for property taxes so I talked him down to $400 and loaded up my new prize.
Attached Images

#4511 Codawg

#4493 co-dawg
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2016, 04:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 41679
it was late November so now that I had a plan on putting my a v8 in my old buggy I started collecting parts that I would need for the swap. I hoped I wouldn't be down too long for the engine swap and could have it ready for wheeling again in april.

While searching the internet for parts I had seen a bentfab chassis on one of my local forums. it had been for sale for quite a while. I always liked the look of the bentfab rigs but this was a 4 seater. the first one built actually and I think that what may have been keeping it from selling as it was quite long. I belive it had had been set up for 147" wheelbase and rockwells.

I thought about how cool it would be to start with a fresh chassis. as luck would have it the guy really wanted to move it out of his carport for winter and needed some parts I had kicking around. with the faithful car trailer hooked up, some cash and trading stock loaded up I headed to CT to pick it up,

To say the chassis was long was an understatement. it took up nearly the full depth of my garage!

here it is being unloaded the night I brought it home
Attached Images

#4511 Codawg

#4493 co-dawg

Old 12-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 139434
Thanks for starting this thread. Its what I plan on doing down the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.7 tow rig

IG: @boomtacoma01

-Chris
Boomtacoma01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Atomic Test Lab Rat

Member # 25325
I was just looking at pictures of my "build". Still sad I had to sell it, but I'm glad someone finished it up.

Last edited by redranger4.0; 12-06-2016 at 11:40 AM.
redranger4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2016, 04:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 41679
with the new chassis in the shop I gave tim at bentfab a call and asked what It would take to shorten the chassis to make it match an evo2. essentially from the b pillar forward was the same but everything else was different. he said that I would have my hands full making it happen.

I ordered up a lower skidplate with integrated lower link mounts from him to make the suspension set up easier. tim was great to deal with and very helpful when I had questions. I would definitely recommend doing business with him if you are looking at a new chassis,

using measurements tim gave me and working off the new skidplate set up I removed 16" out of the rear passenger compartment. I still wanted to have room for a back seat, but wanted to keep the wheelbase closer to the 110-115" realm as we have some pretty tight trails here in the east.

I also started adding some of the door bracing and windshield spreader bars.i finally took the time to figure out how to use my pipemaster notching jig and got pretty good at fitting tubes.
Attached Images

#4511 Codawg

#4493 co-dawg

Last edited by ole' manche'; 12-07-2016 at 04:43 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 41679
next up was to get the drivetrain together so that I could position it in the chassis. hooking the aw4 to the lexus motor is pretty easy. you can do it with all stock parts. all you need is the bellhousing, torque converter and input from the lexus automatic and a complete aw4. by doing this you will be able to bolt an atlas up with all stock components with no fancy adapters to by.

its really as simple as unbolting the bellhousing, pulling the input setup from the lexus trans and swapping it into the aw4. hardest part is lining up the oil pump drive and the clutches but if youre careful and patient its pretty simple.

I also choose to swap the lexus tranny pan as well since it put the dipstick on the driver side which I needed for my pass drop driveshaft.
Attached Images

#4511 Codawg

#4493 co-dawg
Old 12-09-2016, 06:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 107858
I absolutely love the 1uz. My daily has a 1uz vvti swap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVXVagna8nQ

What year is your 1uz? They came in three flavors: Early 225 hp (turbo ready), Mid 260 hp, Late 300 hp/tq(vvti). The donor cars are dirt cheap and if you're lucky you can get one with the ABS integrated brake master and sell it on ebay for almost the cost of the car.

Awesome build. Like many other yota fanboys, this chassis/setup is my ultimate goal.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 41679
next up was positioning the drivetrain in the chassis. I did a lot of reading and idea stealing from addicted offroads always smooth buildup and he used the same motor and trans. the 1uz is a pretty wide motor so space is at a premium in the chassis.

I also installed this oil filter relocation plate as the space on that side is needed for link clearance.
Attached Images

#4511 Codawg

#4493 co-dawg

Last edited by ole' manche'; 12-11-2016 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 218162
subscribed
td6bt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2016, 03:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 41679
I needed a rear sump oil pan for clearance reasons. ended up with a good deal on a 2nd complete motor and trans from a lexus sc400. also couldn't believe I was able to find one in a junkyard not far from me. the rear sump set ups are kind of elusive.

happy to have gotten the extra motor as it gets me a ton of spare parts. I wish I had used it though, but I never heard it run. its much cleaner inside than mine.

I also started cleaning up some of the wiring harness while the motor was out and accessible.
Attached Images

#4511 Codawg

#4493 co-dawg
Old 12-13-2016, 03:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 41679
Quote:
Originally Posted by yOHda View Post
I absolutely love the 1uz. My daily has a 1uz vvti swap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVXVagna8nQ

What year is your 1uz? They came in three flavors: Early 225 hp (turbo ready), Mid 260 hp, Late 300 hp/tq(vvti). The donor cars are dirt cheap and if you're lucky you can get one with the ABS integrated brake master and sell it on ebay for almost the cost of the car.

Awesome build. Like many other yota fanboys, this chassis/setup is my ultimate goal.
my motor came from a 1991 ls400 with 180k miles on it. I did a timing belt water pump and plugs wires cap rotors before pulling it from the donor car.

#4511 Codawg

#4493 co-dawg
Old 12-20-2016, 04:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 41679
once the motor was where I wanted it I mocked up axles and shocks. the front axle is a chevy dana 60 from my old buggy. Yukon shafts and super joints. psc ram, solid knuckles with artec arms. solid 6 lug hubs.yukon competition zip locker. 5.13s Toyota flange

rear is a 14 bolt from my old rig. artec truss, disc brake conversion. solid 6 lug hubs. welded 5.13s high angle Toyota driveshaft flange.

I followed one of bent fabs posts and with some help from tim had the length for all my links and positions for all all my axle end brackets ready to go. he really did a nice job figuring out the suspension geometry.

links are dom with 7/8 ruffstuff heims at the top and 1 1/4 heims at the bottom.
Attached Images

#4511 Codawg

#4493 co-dawg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in