Moving onward and upwards (Desktop Planning/GPS/Tablet) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 182717
Moving onward and upwards (Desktop Planning/GPS/Tablet)

I'm not sure where this fits best (OSR/Expo/Or here) but I figured this forum might be best as I found a few old GPS threads floating around in this section. The newest one seems to be from 2012, so I am assuming that the information might be a tad out of date.

Background: For a long time, I have used a DeLorme PN-20 and their Topo North America desktop software for planning our trips (Off-Road orientated, local parks and westward trips). This system has worked well for some time, but using the tiny screen of the PN-20 with vehicle navigation wasnít the best. It did get the job done though.

Fast forward several years, and Iím ready to upgrade again, but I am not really finding what I am after (I think). And I am hesitant to just buy every app I see to try to find something that might work. So I am hoping to narrow things down a bit and work from there.

The Goal:
I would like some sort of offline mapping solution that I can use on a laptop, and then transfer that data over to a GPS/Tablet to use while actually exploring. I.E. While sitting in camp without cell service, I want to be able to look at data off line on my laptop (Bigger screen, and, well, touch screens irritate me after a while), then transfer that data (way points, tracks, etc) over to the GPS/Tablet to use the next day.

Is there some sort of solution (or solutions) out there that will let me do this? It seems that dedicated GPSís are going by the way side, and everything is becoming more APP based. Which is fine, but I donít want to get married to something that is web based, or worst yet, web based, and goes away after a few years.

Hopefully that rambling makes some sense. Any suggestions in helping a tablet noob narrow things down would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 100050
Subscribed. I'm still rocking my GPSmaps62s, but I'm curious what's out there in the more techno-advanced world.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 6170
I've been using Backroads Navigator for awhile now and its ok. I think most of my issues are the fact that the tablet gps takes forever to sync up and the fact that I just don't use it that much in between trips. I have no idea if it would work on a computer. It does store maps off line. You can pretty much download any map you want into it.

Have a friend that likes GIAI GPS. He does a lot of exploring all over the west and I know he uses it on his computer also.

I really hate how everything is an app. Isn't an app just a computer program? Seems like tablets and computer stuff should work together better by now.

Kevin
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 182717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Fab. View Post
I've been using Backroads Navigator for awhile now and its ok. I think most of my issues are the fact that the tablet gps takes forever to sync up and the fact that I just don't use it that much in between trips. I have no idea if it would work on a computer. It does store maps off line. You can pretty much download any map you want into it.
That's one I haven't heard of before, I'll look into it, but at first glance it appears to be more geared toward Canada?

Along the same vein, it appears that BackCountry Navigator actually did have a desktop option in 2007, but the link to the download appears to no longer work

BackCountry Navigator Desktop Edition | BackCountry Navigator

Quote:
Have a friend that likes GIAI GPS. He does a lot of exploring all over the west and I know he uses it on his computer also.
I'd be interested in knowing how he is running it on his PC. It looks like once you buy the subscription to them, you can gain access to a web portal that allows you to do more planning online? So that is a partial solution to what I'd be after.

Poking around their website (https://www.gaiagps.com/), the user interface looks less painful to use than BackCountry Navigator. I just have a little heartburn over paying for a subscription service, and still having to be tethered to the internet to do planning.

I need to look into these guys some more as they look more promising than some others.

Quote:
I really hate how everything is an app. Isn't an app just a computer program? Seems like tablets and computer stuff should work together better by now.
I know right? This seems like something that should be fairly simple to accomplish. I am really surprised that there isn't any obvious consumer grade stand alone mapping software out there. Dang near everything appears to be app/tablet/phone based.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 524649
For a while after I got my first smart phone I wanted it to do everything my hand held Garmin did. I went through much the same frustration. Then I thought I found the holy grail with Orux maps. It was kick ass on the tablet. You could download Google earth sat info easily. You just had to know where you were going so you could download the right areas. A couple years ago Google had a cow and now you can't use their images any more. The app developer picked upr satellite imagery from other sources but it's just not as good as Google was.
In the end it's still the best I've found. It has not however, replaced my antiquated Garmin. Both now come along. Garmin Base camp software is what's on the laptop and I just dump info to it from the GPS and Orux. Best part is the app is free. There is probably a better one that costs I'm just cheap.
BentK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2016, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6170
Wasn't google going to allow you start saving files on your phone for when you were out of cell service?

Having used google maps for work related stuff like finding work sites etc..., its really annoying that no one else has come up with something even close to as easy to use. All these map software "apps" really lag behind something that's commonly on most phones already.

Kevin
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 67470
Great thread. I've been looking for the same thing. I've played with a couple of the above, but just wish there were something that worked a little better.
Mope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in