Another 9" question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 12:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 184378
Another 9" question

Alright I'm on the market for a set of 9" housings.. I think I've narrowed it down to either the spidertrax ultimate or the ruffstuff housing.. trying to stick around that price range..
What one would/did you buy and why?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 31848
Send a message via AIM to XJ_ranger
I bought an early production ruffstuff, and wouldn't again for my trail rig / cone dodger.

The center section is so wide, that it gets caught more than it should. Yes, there probably are strength advantages with the housing being that wide, but I don't think I need them. For a rear axle in a desert truck where rock clearance isn't as big of a deal - sure, probably a perfect axle.

Also, I'm not sold on the bump-bend 'round-ish' profile. In my front axle application, I have severely dented that in after making a poor choice dropping off a ledge. I didn't have the ruffstuff weld on skid plate, but it deformed a lot. My ring gear has self clearance the inside of the housing after the dent.

At the time I bought mine, Ruffstuff didn't have much figured out for front axle seals. I went through 5 or 6 different iterations, and ultimately have trail- gear inner axle seals and carriers installed, after die grinding the 1/2" faceplate from the backside, and installing different O-rings than trail-gear provided.

I also think the 3.5" .380 wall tube is a bit much for my use - .250 wall would probably be just fine.

My next front axle will be a Spidertrax or Diamond. Narrower center, both offer .250 wall tubes, and I'll be putting a skidplate on the bottom / front of the center section to add some extra metal where it might need it.

Food for thought anyway. Mine was also an EARLY production ruffstuff housing, like 2008/2009, so it may be different now.

Wanna be rock crawler guy #91 in a Blue XJFireWallBuggy.
XJ_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Not that I care, but why isn't Trail Gear being considered?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

patooyee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
This. Their housings are the cheapest and just as nice. Ruffstuff housing is nice, but it's massive. If your not looking for a 4130 housing. Trail-Gear would be at the top of the list if price is at all a factor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleygo3 View Post
This. Their housings are the cheapest and just as nice. Ruffstuff housing is nice, but it's massive. If your not looking for a 4130 housing. Trail-Gear would be at the top of the list if price is at all a factor.
And you can order them from Summit to get free shipping.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Trail Gear would be at the top of my list as well, followed by spidertrax. I've also seen housings show up on the spidertrax outlet page. I bought an early ruff stuff years ago with a warped mounting face that was still unusable after ruff stuff machined it. I have since bought a Toyota housing frim them that was great and only wouldn't consider them now because the center is so big.

I'm currently building a currie housing and this is how it was sent out the door.

Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
If I replace the stock housing in my prerunner, I'm going spiderfrax or Currie. Nice housings, not huge, machined face, and fit a 10" ring gear if needed.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 184378
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_ranger View Post
I bought an early production ruffstuff, and wouldn't again for my trail rig / cone dodger.

The center section is so wide, that it gets caught more than it should. Yes, there probably are strength advantages with the housing being that wide, but I don't think I need them. For a rear axle in a desert truck where rock clearance isn't as big of a deal - sure, probably a perfect axle.

Also, I'm not sold on the bump-bend 'round-ish' profile. In my front axle application, I have severely dented that in after making a poor choice dropping off a ledge. I didn't have the ruffstuff weld on skid plate, but it deformed a lot. My ring gear has self clearance the inside of the housing after the dent.

At the time I bought mine, Ruffstuff didn't have much figured out for front axle seals. I went through 5 or 6 different iterations, and ultimately have trail- gear inner axle seals and carriers installed, after die grinding the 1/2" faceplate from the backside, and installing different O-rings than trail-gear provided.

I also think the 3.5" .380 wall tube is a bit much for my use - .250 wall would probably be just fine.

My next front axle will be a Spidertrax or Diamond. Narrower center, both offer .250 wall tubes, and I'll be putting a skidplate on the bottom / front of the center section to add some extra metal where it might need it.

Food for thought anyway. Mine was also an EARLY production ruffstuff housing, like 2008/2009, so it may be different now.
Thanks for the input. That's actually why I asked I know a ton of stuff has been redesigned the last couple years and there is really no discussion on the new designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
Honestly after having such terrible issues with the rock assault axles I just didn't even want to try them out with a 9. Haven't done to much research into them but I do know the new rock assault design is great so I guess I could possibly give them a thought.

Quote:
Not looking for anything "race ready" so 4130 isn't that big of a issue. But I dont think ruffstuff is 4130 or spidertrax ultimate just the pro series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Trail Gear would be at the top of my list as well, followed by spidertrax. I've also seen housings show up on the spidertrax outlet page. I bought an early ruff stuff years ago with a warped mounting face that was still unusable after ruff stuff machined it. I have since bought a Toyota housing frim them that was great and only wouldn't consider them now because the center is so big.

I'm currently building a currie housing and this is how it was sent out the door.

I've always respected your input over the years so I guess I could give trailgear a look over to see if it will fit my needs.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
If I replace the stock housing in my prerunner, I'm going spiderfrax or Currie. Nice housings, not huge, machined face, and fit a 10" ring gear if needed.
Again, not trying to be a TG stooge, but their housings fit 10" as well. My 9" housings are the only thing I've ever bought from them. They're still being built but so far I am happy with them. Welding, fit, and finish was very nice.

Also, if you buy a centered TG housing it comes with enough tube to cut down and make an offset housing to either side whereas some of the other brands don't. This gives you more contingency options later down the road if plans change as well as more leftover tube laying around that is a size you most likely wouldn't otherwise ever buy on its own.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 13438
Trail Gear housings front and rear here as well. On the front I'm running the Spidertrax knuckles and c's. 10" gears front and rear with no grinding.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Trail-Gear has a machined face, not huge and fits a 10" gear.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Trail-Gear has a machined face, not huge and fits a 10" gear.
Good to know

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 23011
Diamond has my vote.

Brian is great to work with, will take the time to answer all your questions and provide suggestions to get an axle that is absolutely tits for your application.

I also like that the C's are welded on ensuring proper caster and a straight axle. Just bolt on your diff, inners, and other components and go.
vikingsven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsven View Post
Diamond has my vote.

Brian is great to work with, will take the time to answer all your questions and provide suggestions to get an axle that is absolutely tits for your application.

I also like that the C's are welded on ensuring proper caster and a straight axle. Just bolt on your diff, inners, and other components and go.
TG will also weld the ends on. You can get a rear with the bearing pockets welded on, seals and 4340 35 spline shafts for $990. Nobody can tough that price.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 23011
Quote:
TG will also weld the ends on. You can get a rear with the bearing pockets welded on, seals and 4340 35 spline shafts for $990. Nobody can tough that price.
Sure, and that's great, but you are stuck with TG unit bearing ends (no options for anything else), and foreign shafts. I don't see an option for a complete front axle? As always, you get what you pay for. To each his own.

I personally won't buy anything TG, and I'm not stopping anyone but friends from doing it. That's all. OP is free to make his own call.

Last edited by vikingsven; 01-11-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Sure, and that's great, but you are stuck with TG unit bearing ends (no options for anything else), and foreign shafts. I don't see an option for a complete front axle? As always, you get what you pay for. To each his own.

I personally won't buy anything TG, and I'm not stopping anyone but friends from doing it. That's all. OP is free to make his own call.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 23011
Lol!
Old 01-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:

I would normally agree with "you get what you pay for". But I'd put TG made in the USA housings up against any of the other brands.

Yes their shafts, like most other are not made here. But they do have a lifetime warranty

Old 01-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 23011
Quote:
I would normally agree with "you get what you pay for". But I'd put TG made in the USA housings up against any of the other brands.

Yes their shafts, like most other are not made here. But they do have a lifetime warranty
I'd rather not break in the first place than deal with any kind of warranty, but again, that's just me.

Alright, enough of this bullshit...OP do what you want. You have plenty of places to burn a hole in your wallet now.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:55 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 50971
So do regular super duty unit bearings no bolt to these tg bearing pockets, that would seem odd.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordnut View Post
So do regular super duty unit bearings no bolt to these tg bearing pockets, that would seem odd.
They bolt right.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 50971
Ok that's what I thought makes sense not sure what that other guy was bitching about being stuck with trail gear ends.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 23011
Quote:
Ok that's what I thought makes sense not sure what that other guy was bitching about being stuck with trail gear ends.
Not bitching, but some of us want to run something other than Ford unitbearings...
Old 01-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Make no mistake, his tg hate stems from a business deal gone south with marlin crawler over 10 years ago..... the Toyota section gets enough of this BS
Old 01-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Not bitching, but some of us want to run something other than Ford unitbearings...
What's wrong with a spider Trax ultimate bearing?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in