Building a Buggy on the cheap - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2017, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 731545
Building a Buggy on the cheap

Hey guys and gals,
Long time lurker,First time poster here

Im looking for some thoughts on a build i wana start in a month or so.
I'm kinda wanting to build a Trail Buggy that i can compete in the local annual Half ass mud bog event and trail ride the rest of the year.

So far for parts ive been collecting,
LM7 5.3
SM465+Np205 combo
14b FF + chev dana 60 front
91 c/k std cab body
2 20' lengths of 3x3x1/4 square tube
3 20' lenghts of 2" x1/4 tubing
Orbital steering valve

I'm planing 3ink front and back, but where i hit a road block the other day. Should i go coil over or 5.5 coil sping and buckets. Obiously im trying to go cheap as possible so coil beside is probably the best route. Their is tons of great threads and what not covering my debacle's for links,trusses and what not. But i know nothing about springs. I have found a good great wedsite for cheap prefab spring mounts and stuff so thats gonna save! Anthoer question is can i simply run a D60 steer out back for rear axle?

Thanks much for anyone with input
CaptianChaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2017, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
as cheap as possible and for mud? leaf springs

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2017, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 731545
Leafs are ok, but i have tons of hilly spots to go wheeling that would be alot funner with super flexible triangulated suspension! I did some reading up on springs and spring rate today, because of my robust build im assuming i would want 20-24' extended coil on 10 degree perches with about 1000lb rate. I also found out the correct Term for this type of build. A Truggie! I got about 1000-1500$ to set up all 4 corners. Seems like a pretty reasonable number from what ive been pricing out. Is their stability issues with overly tall springs? Or is it all in the dampener?

Old 02-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7412
dump the stick and go auto. it will save you money and headache . and there is nothing wrong with leaf springs.

Last edited by gunracer1; 02-01-2017 at 08:01 AM.
gunracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 731545
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer1 View Post
dump the stick and go auto. it will save you money and headache . and there is nothing wrong with leaf springs.
Agreed! I have a th400 and a 700r4 laying around, np205's rigged up for either is another story, Far and Few. Id have to rework the input and order up a figure 8 adaptor.. adapting the ls and the tcase will pretty much blow my budget to pieces. Im kinda of hell bent on a coil buggy. Dont get me wrong ive built a 4 link on leafts before but thats our dedicated bogger. I want to out perform everything on the trails and modestly in our annual mud pit. I'm trying to achive 100% tuneable suspension. Wheelies and jumps intended lol
Old 02-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 133009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptianChaos View Post
Agreed! I have a th400 and a 700r4 laying around, np205's rigged up for either is another story, Far and Few. Id have to rework the input and order up a figure 8 adaptor.. adapting the ls and the tcase will pretty much blow my budget to pieces. Im kinda of hell bent on a coil buggy. Dont get me wrong ive built a 4 link on leafts before but thats our dedicated bogger. I want to out perform everything on the trails and modestly in our annual mud pit. I'm trying to achive 100% tuneable suspension. Wheelies and jumps intended lol

Huh?
Old 02-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 731545
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoads View Post
Huh?
We have upsidedown Leaf's on shackels mid frame and floating on a rubber pad on the rear diff, using a 1 inch ready rod jamb nutted as a preload for the suspension so we can adjust anti squat under accel
Old 02-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5851
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptianChaos View Post
We have upsidedown Leaf's on shackels mid frame and floating on a rubber pad on the rear diff, using a 1 inch ready rod jamb nutted as a preload for the suspension so we can adjust anti squat under accel
Wow.

86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it

02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 7412
spend the money on the adapter for the auto.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 731545
Quote:
Originally Posted by KacksterK5 View Post
Wow.
Yah dude, its tried and true!

52Willys truck cab,yota chassis, 4linked 10bolt with spool in the rear and leafed front on 1/2 ton chev diff, 400sbc- th400 -np205, rear mount rad blah blah blah pertty much purpose built and not a pleasure to wheel with lol.

Too bad i cant post photos yet..

Edit: I have one action shot in my Photobucket!

Last edited by CaptianChaos; 02-01-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 731545
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer1 View Post
spend the money on the adapter for the auto.
More then likely ill splurge on the tcase anyway.
I got about 5k for my whole build.

In the long run a th400w/205 will be more fun for wheeling for sure. Besides by the time i get the rigging for a clutch, flywheel and pedal rigged up i could just adapt the Auto for less

Last edited by CaptianChaos; 02-01-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 193081
ok im out. lost me at 4link on leaves.

46 CJ2A Junkyard Jeep Project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
arwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwolf View Post
Quarter elliptical?

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2017, 10:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 731545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
Quarter elliptical?
Thankyou
Old 02-02-2017, 02:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 232666
You mud bog guys are kooks...fucking 10 bolts on a dedicated bogger? I'm curious, what size tires? How often do you replace shafts?
I have a buddy who is building a high hp s-10 bogger with an 800 hp bbc in it. Running 4 link front (i have yet to see it) built out of tractor heims. He's looking for coilovers and thinks 500 lbs spring rates are what he wants, so he doesn't bottom out when he's screaming through the mud pit. I tried to tell him that's too stiff for his application, but he's sure it will work out. He has no real clue of this type of suspension at...i tried to tell him to put some money into a good set of shocks and that will control his bottoming better than stiff ass springs, but I'm not sure he listened.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KacksterK5 View Post
Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoads View Post
Huh?
You can see all the new generation of wheelers here.

Oh the shit we built in the 90's. So hack by todays standards. But so bad ass back then.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by overeasy View Post

Oh the shit we built in the 90's. So hack by todays standards. But so bad ass back then.
Shit 1/4 elip was some pirate4x4 badassness when i started coming here in 1999/2000!
Old 02-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 731545
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
You mud bog guys are kooks...fucking 10 bolts on a dedicated bogger? I'm curious, what size tires? How often do you replace shafts?
I have a buddy who is building a high hp s-10 bogger with an 800 hp bbc in it. Running 4 link front (i have yet to see it) built out of tractor heims. He's looking for coilovers and thinks 500 lbs spring rates are what he wants, so he doesn't bottom out when he's screaming through the mud pit. I tried to tell him that's too stiff for his application, but he's sure it will work out. He has no real clue of this type of suspension at...i tried to tell him to put some money into a good set of shocks and that will control his bottoming better than stiff ass springs, but I'm not sure he listened.
We've broken like 2 LH axles in 10 years.. we run 39x9.5r15 SS Boggers. Our 400sbc has a set of trickflow heads and a dual plane with a 650cfm avenger. Maybe one horse per cube. We end up breaking more Ujoints then anything.
Our truck consistently brings home the blue ribbon.. but our version of boggs are 2 300ft trenches and the first one out the other ends wins the heat.. not like the fun stuff i see on yutube in the southern parts of merica! about coils, when guys go out and buy coils.. do we just look for the tallest jeep/Dodge/ford spring you can find?
Old 02-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 731545
Quote:

Hell yah, the looks we used to get when we showed up with our linked bob tail willys were priceless!

Now it like "oh shit, these guys showed up" and 33"s are going back on their riggs as fast as they can lol

Last edited by CaptianChaos; 02-02-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 341914
Did those 1/4 elliptical suspensions work good? I have never heard of them before looks like be farther ahead to just go full 4 link
taylorbok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 543
It is full 4 link. the quarter-elip is only the spring. It doesn't locate the axle. The down sides would be, more difficult to tune and chassis is sprung from below the center of gravity.
But for a mud truck I don't think that really means much. I'd think horsepower and the cut on your tires matters more than anything.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 7903
I remember when swing out 1/4e was the ramp champ in the early 2000s. Back when a CJ with a stroked 4.2, T18, D300 and scout axles running 36 SXs was the coolest thing.

That was when guys were investing time in chopping up van leaf packs and not money for coilovers.
JohnnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 11:08 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 731545
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post
I remember when swing out 1/4e was the ramp champ in the early 2000s. Back when a CJ with a stroked 4.2, T18, D300 and scout axles running 36 SXs was the coolest thing.

That was when guys were investing time in chopping up van leaf packs and not money for coilovers.
Seems like we are a dying breed, but rest assured we are still kicking!
Old 02-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Suzuki/Toyota Parts

Member # 80948
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslander View Post
Shit 1/4 elip was some pirate4x4 badassness when i started coming here in 1999/2000!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
It is full 4 link. the quarter-elip is only the spring. It doesn't locate the axle. The down sides would be, more difficult to tune and chassis is sprung from below the center of gravity.
But for a mud truck I don't think that really means much. I'd think horsepower and the cut on your tires matters more than anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post

Who would have ever thought people new guys would be giving someone a hard time for talking about a 4 link with leaf springs and not even know what a 1/4 elliptical is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check us out on Facebook

Follow us on instagram:

#lowrangeoffroad @Lowrangeoffroad

YOUR Suzuki and Toyota Parts SUPER SHOP. Over 7800 Products and Counting.

We ship WORLDWIDE.

Why buy from Low Range Off Road?
We keep records of sales from the day you buy your product. Need a product warranty? Lost your receipt? Yep, we have it.
Low Range is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 06:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Range View Post
Who would have ever thought people new guys would be giving someone a hard time for talking about a 4 link with leaf springs and not even know what a 1/4 elliptical is.
Lol right? Hell half the newbies think you can even wheel on leafs at all!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in