Setting up D44 gears starting from scratch(new housing)?? Any tips/tricks? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2004, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Send a message via AIM to Arya Ebrahimi
Setting up D44 gears starting from scratch(new housing)?? Any tips/tricks?

Ok, I have a brand new Tera 50 housing and I'm getting ready to do the gear install(4.88s). This is MY first gear install although I've looked over the shoulder of several friends while they did their own installs. I know that when you're putting new gears in an old axle you use the existing shims to give you an idea of where to start. However, with a new housing, is there any "method" to giving yourself a starting point that's somewhat close? Also any other tips and tricks yall might have, feel free to share. Thanks

Ary
Old 05-26-2004, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Anybody?
Old 05-26-2004, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 17522
Without any reference point your gonna need a pinion depth tool. I dont have any service manuals in front of me , but someone will chime in w/ the depth.

Old 05-26-2004, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 15043
if the tera housing uses d44 gear sets the pinion depth for a d44 is 2.625 this dimension works for genuine dana-spicer gear sets- it may not work as well for after market gear sets. if you have a set of "try" bearings for the carrier it will make your job easier-try bearings are bearings that have the i.d. honed to allow them to slip on without the press fit once you get the shim pack thickness figured out you can then press on the new bearings.hope this info helps you out.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
The Tera 50 housing does indeed use HP44 gears. I got Yukon gears and they're not reboxed Dana's, but something else(who knows where they came from ) I think I will end up taking this to my friend's shop and have him help me out. He has a set of setup bearings for a 44 and all kinds of fancy tools.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8228
Send a message via AIM to broncorob
It will just take ALOT of patience to get it done. You basically just gotta go at it and keep adjusting till you get it right. I doubt you have a pinion depth tool, right? Take it to your friend and let him deal with it.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 17522
D44 pinion gears have a + or a - wth a number . This tells you how to adjust for depth. Find an old D44 pinion and do the math. That should get you really close with the shims.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4577
Take a look at some of these references that I've looked at while I've been learning.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ght=totw+gears
http://zukaz.tripod.com/
sk8zero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2004, 03:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5025
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATER
D44 pinion gears have a + or a - wth a number . This tells you how to adjust for depth. Find an old D44 pinion and do the math. That should get you really close with the shims.
I thought this method was only good to reference a housing against its previous r&p + shim pack vs a new r&p and shim pack.

How does a random old 44 pinion depth marking help in a new housing with no take out pinion to reference?
Tony Sobrito is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2004, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8203
start with 0.030 under the pinion head and work from there. it's gonna take you 8 or 9 tries to hit it. don't expect to hit it right away, or you'll just get frustrated.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 4438
Ary,

Try around .032 on each side of the carrier, .030 under the lower pinion race, and .065 for pinion bearing pre-load.

The three 44's I did last weekend, were fairly close to this.

Andy
Old 05-27-2004, 08:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 187
LOL your fawked for a fee i will give ya the answear.

:flipoff2:
GearMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2004, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMan
LOL your fawked for a fee i will give ya the answear.
I was hoping you in particular would chime in, but that's not the response I was hoping for

Anyway, I found a sucker that will do the setup for $150. My friend doesn't have time to f with it, and after analyzing the cost to time to frustration factor, $150 is cheap. Thanks for the tips anyway, maybe someone will find it when they search and actually have some good info

Ary
Old 05-27-2004, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 17522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sobrito
I thought this method was only good to reference a housing against its previous r&p + shim pack vs a new r&p and shim pack.

How does a random old 44 pinion depth marking help in a new housing with no take out pinion to reference?

My limited experience has shown that D44 pinions (that I have dealt with) are +/- 2. SO if he uses the set-up bearings he says he can get, and uses the the differences in pinion markings, he will get CLOSE. Measure the shims and adjust for pinion markings. Not the best way for sure, but will work in a pinch.

If you got a better idea, lets hear it.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 187
tera 50s are not bored right and you will never get a good set up they are junk at best in teras words "we just put .050 under the bearing and run them" ask mike shaffer about this i spent hours trying to help him get his to set up cause when tera did it for him it lasted 1 weekend how did you end up with that POS anyway?

Old 05-28-2004, 12:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 4577
Quote:
Originally Posted by afecko
.065 for pinion bearing pre-load.

The three 44's I did last weekend, were fairly close to this.
That's the information I was looking for!! I asked basically the same question over in the newbie section, but didn't get answers.

Have any other suggestions on pinion preload starting shim thickness for other axles? D60, 9", yota 8.8", etc...?
sk8zero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2004, 01:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 15043
Quote:
tera 50s are not bored right and you will never get a good set up they are junk at best in teras words "we just put .050 under the bearing and run them" ask mike shaffer about this i spent hours trying to help him get his to set up cause when tera did it for him it lasted 1 weekend how did you end up with that POS anyway?
when you say that the tera 50's arn't bored right is the off-set wrong between the ring gear and the pinion gear or is the bore for the pinion gear not perpendicular to the bore for the carrier bearings? just curious- i will never own one of these axles but i have thought of purchasing some of their axle build components- maybe this would be a bad idea?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Quote:
Hmmm I bought the axle from a guy who lost interest in his build and had bought it like two years ago. It had been in his garage ever since. I got a deal on it, and not knowing there were any downsides to it, I jumped on it. Now you got me concerned. I wonder if they fixed the problem or not.

When you say they're not bored right, how are they not bored right?

Was he ever able to get a reliable setup? The gears will only be in use when I wheel 'cause of the lockouts, and unfortunately my serious wheelin is limited to about 4 long weekends per year. So I would hope that I'm able to get a reliable enough setup for that. Thanks for your help.

Ary
Old 05-28-2004, 04:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 187
the pinion bores are not inline with each other. you will never get a patteren that even looks close enough for goverment work. the rest of ther products such as the 60s are just fine, and set up well. as far as the 50 i think they dont make it anymore due to all the problems people had with them. after all why call it a 50 when it uses all dana 44 parts? i only had a few experiances with them, and they all turned out like shit and didnt last long at all. Like i said mike shaffer killed one in one comp and he spent 10 hours on trying to set it up before he brought it to me to confirm what he thought. when i set a pinion bore alingment checker in it, it was like looking at a bent houesing. not even close. so tera sent him some 60s and i put them together for him and he is still running them with no problems.

Old 05-28-2004, 05:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Quote:
the pinion bores are not inline with each other. you will never get a patteren that even looks close enough for goverment work. the rest of ther products such as the 60s are just fine, and set up well. as far as the 50 i think they dont make it anymore due to all the problems people had with them. after all why call it a 50 when it uses all dana 44 parts? i only had a few experiances with them, and they all turned out like shit and didnt last long at all. Like i said mike shaffer killed one in one comp and he spent 10 hours on trying to set it up before he brought it to me to confirm what he thought. when i set a pinion bore alingment checker in it, it was like looking at a bent houesing. not even close. so tera sent him some 60s and i put them together for him and he is still running them with no problems.
I just called Tera and confronted them about this and they admitted that there is a problem with the pinion bores. The guy then went on to say that if you use a .070 shim pack under the inner race of the pinion that it will setup just fine. He said they were quirky, but that it was possible to get an "acceptable pattern" as he put it. I'm somewhat comforted to hear this as I'm about out of money and this thing is finished except for the gear install.

My question is, do you think he's full of shit and was just feeding me a line? or do you think it will work? Thanks

Ary
Old 05-28-2004, 07:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 187
its always a salesmens job to make the customer comfoertable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in