Source for custom length 6l90 to Hero adapter - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 236179
Source for custom length 6l90 to Hero adapter

Like the title says. I need to source an adapter for my 6l90 to a Hero 3spd transfer case. Needs to be 5.125" long end to end. Trans is a 2015 out of a 2500 4x4. The factory adapter has a bunch of extra bolt hole that go into whatever the factory TC is, unfortunately it only uses 5 of the 6 bolt holes I need to use for the Hero.

I've tried the AA adapter and it's too short. I can't cut back the output shaft of the 6l90 because there isn't enough spline length.

I contacted Mike (mpascino) at Trail Tech Fab on here and he said it would be no problem to make me one of his steel adapters with the extra length. But he's gone silent for the last few months. No returned calls, not answering PM's or email, nothing even on his thread in the Vendor's Marketplace. I don't know if he's still doing them.

I'm not having any luck finding someone else who's making steel (or alum.) adapters that could do me a longer one.

Anyone have an idea of someone else that makes adapters?

Last edited by gt1guy; 07-20-2017 at 01:44 PM.
gt1guy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 161937
Mike is still making them, he just made me an adapter. I think he has had some family stuff going on that has been tying up a lot of his time. Just keep calling. He does good work.

Thanks to:
PCI Radios
BTR Wheels
BF Goodrich
jrad12381 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2017, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 236179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrad12381 View Post
Mike is still making them, he just made me an adapter. I think he has had some family stuff going on that has been tying up a lot of his time. Just keep calling. He does good work.
Ok, thanks man. I'll keep trying.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 236179
I'm not going to be able to wait forever on this.

Can anyone point me in the direction of another source for a custom length adapter?
Old 08-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Shift to the Best

Member # 68266
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
I'm not going to be able to wait forever on this.

Can anyone point me in the direction of another source for a custom length adapter?
Why can't you just use a steel flip/clocking ring? I bolted a 241 right up to my 6L80e.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shift controllers and shifters, AMS mounts
Toyota Triple & Twin Sticks
John 3:16- He is the answer.
R.DesJardin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2017, 07:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
Why can't you just use a steel flip/clocking ring? I bolted a 241 right up to my 6L80e.
Because he doesn't have a 6L80e.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
Dookey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2017, 07:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Shift to the Best

Member # 68266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookey View Post
Because he doesn't have a 6L80e.
I get that, 6L90e from a 4x4. So going from a 80 to a 90 the t-case bolt pattern changed? No more 261/263's that share the previous common 231/241/Atlas bolt pattern?
I have some kind of factory extension housing for a 4x4 I bought before I found my 4x4 6L80e, let me look at it and see what bolt pattern it is. It is not the same housing as the one I have on my trans. but it is for a 4x4.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
I get that, 6L90e from a 4x4. So going from a 80 to a 90 the t-case bolt pattern changed? No more 261/263's that share the previous common 231/241/Atlas bolt pattern?
I have some kind of factory extension housing for a 4x4 I bought before I found my 4x4 6L80e, let me look at it and see what bolt pattern it is. It is not the same housing as the one I have on my trans. but it is for a 4x4.
The bolt pattern is the same but the stock 6L90 adapter piece doesn't let you run all 6 bolts like the 6L80 does.

My 6L80 output.

His 6L90 output. #6 doesn't go all the way through.

|
Dookey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2017, 08:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Shift to the Best

Member # 68266
Yep, the lower one (6L90e) is the one I have sitting on the shelf.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 1889
I'm sure it's less desirable than a one piece adapter, but AA has 1" spacers for that pattern commonly used on transmissions with too-long outputs for the Atlas input, can you just use one of those?
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 236179
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm sure it's less desirable than a one piece adapter, but AA has 1" spacers for that pattern commonly used on transmissions with too-long outputs for the Atlas input, can you just use one of those?
It would take a spacer that is 1.425" thick. You'd end up with really long studs coming out of the transfer case and any warm fuzzy feeling I may have had would be gone.

Factory 6l90 adapter is 5.125" end to end.

AA 6l80 adapter is 3.7" end to end.

There isn't enough spline length on the 90 (4x4) output to cut it back like you can on the 2x4 trans. Right now the Hero fits perfect on the splines when the factory adapter is in place. Roughly 1/4" of male splines past the female input of the Hero. Got that from putting an o-ring on the splines of the 90 and putting everything together, pulled it apart and the o-ring was sitting 1/4" before the splines ended. Perfect.

You can also see that GM made up for not using bolt #6 in the pic Dookey posted, by adding 3 more bolts to the left of it. They did that for a reason. Hell, that factory adapter has 10 bolts going to the back of the trans. As far as adapters go, the thing is rather robust.

Last edited by gt1guy; 08-03-2017 at 02:24 PM.
gt1guy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in