Sticky 40's advise - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
gettin there

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rhino View Post
Agreed. I run 5-7 tops on a full bodied rig. Much less than 5 in the front and they fold over on down hill off camber stuff.

I went from reds to a set of non sticky bias Treps.......... for about 6 months. My hope was to get away from 2 sets of tires since I do alot of snow wheeling. The Treps sucked in the snow. They worked decent on the jagged rocks of the Minnesota Iron Range but they were horrible on smooth rocks.

I'm now back to reds with Iroks for the snow.
That's actually sad to read...i was hoping my treps would snow wheel like beasts, sounds like they don't. Good thing i got my winch working some i plan on changing my trans, and wheeling it this winter, if wet get snow that is....
Old 10-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 75858
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
That's actually sad to read...i was hoping my treps would snow wheel like beasts, sounds like they don't. Good thing i got my winch working some i plan on changing my trans, and wheeling it this winter, if wet get snow that is....
Well they snow wheel like a beast if you keep them spinning. Problem is the sharp corner lugs dig down and create wheel hop. I know several guys who have tried them in the snow and all experienced wheel hop.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #28 (permalink)
gettin there

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rhino View Post
Well they snow wheel like a beast if you keep them spinning. Problem is the sharp corner lugs dig down and create wheel hop. I know several guys who have tried them in the snow and all experienced wheel hop.
No flotation...i kind of worried about that when i first looked at them, that the lugs would dig right in and bury themselves. The deal was too good for me to pass up though. Got a set of 5 slightly used, but with the tits on them for a set of 4, 40" pro comp xmt2's never mounted. Knowing we don't get a ton of snow, i was willing to take the chance. I guess I'll deal with it, and pull cable when i need. If i even get to wheel them this winter being that my trans is fucked.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 803081
Just curious, any experience with the creepy crawlers stickies? Never have run a Maxxis tire.

Last edited by TLINCO; 10-25-2017 at 01:30 PM.
TLINCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 46942
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLINCO View Post
Just curious, any experience with the creepy crawlers stickies? Never have run a Maxxis tire.
that is what I had before the reds and I could not keep air in them, as soon as they got wet the sucked big balls
Old 10-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 803081
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjared413 View Post
that is what I had before the reds and I could not keep air in them, as soon as they got wet the sucked big balls
Yeah, that's what I have been reading, just didn't know if there where any different opinions about em.

Looks like 39 RED's for me !
Old 10-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 13438
If you want a true 40 you can go with a 40x12.5 KR3s. I have been really happy with how they work. I ran 39" Krawlers and 37's, both Reds prior. I know of at least one steep smooth climb that my KR3s @25 psi work better than sticky Falkens. I'm not sponsored by any tire manufacture, but have stuck with BFG's because I know they flat work.

Last edited by Blue Devil Toyota; 10-25-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Blue Devil Toyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2017, 04:54 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
What is the weight of your rig? My 6000 lb truck says that the bias, non sticky, treps do great on the rocks compared to mtrs,km2s,and IROK's. This is side by side comparison of my truck vs jeeps of varying models, and not likely bias or sticky tires on them. But i could climb rocks, wet or dry, with very little throttle while they were hitting Rev limiters, backing up and hitting it harder, or trying a different line altogether. I've only run mine twice so far, but they did well compared to others both times. Will sticky tires work better? I would hope so, but to say the bias absolutely suck on the rocks is far from accurate. Which is why i ask the weight of your rig, maybe that is the factor? I'm also only running a 37, so I'm not sure if that's part of the issue or not, maybe the 37's flex better? Could be a million things going on, but on my truck they're far better than the tsls, and pitbull maddoggs i was running before.
I find this to be comparable to me....I have old TSL swampers that my jeep friends love to hate on, but they stick to stuff, I dont need a ton of wheelspeed etc. now my truggy is near 6k so I think the work so much better with the weight I have. I watch youtube videos of guys at raucsh, in buggys, with stickies having more trouble in spots than my leaf sprung truggy on swampers does.....
Old 10-26-2017, 05:57 AM   #34 (permalink)
gettin there

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
I find this to be comparable to me....I have old TSL swampers that my jeep friends love to hate on, but they stick to stuff, I dont need a ton of wheelspeed etc. now my truggy is near 6k so I think the work so much better with the weight I have. I watch youtube videos of guys at raucsh, in buggys, with stickies having more trouble in spots than my leaf sprung truggy on swampers does.....
To add another parameter to some of the reason my pos does well with the bias trep is that my wheelbase is 144". I know that helps everything except crest over being that my rig can get up on obstacles with a good foothold pushing from behind. But it doesn't make a difference in whether the thing stays stuck to the rocks with the front tires. If the tires absolutely sucked on rocks, i would assume my fronts would slide right off the rocks side to side even with firm footing in the rear. My crest over and departure angle sick big balls. I'm dragging center or rear bumper and these tires just keep lugging through.

Last edited by sterlingfire; 10-26-2017 at 06:39 AM.
sterlingfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 89546
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dogg View Post
Don't believe people who try to tell you only one "1 tire" will work in Colorado. They are just as bad as the AZ folks that we make fun of on Pirate when they claim that only 1 mythical tire is capable of running their secret trails. I run all over the west, and every state claims; 1) To have the hardest trails in the country, and 2) that only one tire works. Disregard that BS.

I have ran Boulder Canyon, Death Row and others in Colorado in my Rock Buggy, and they are no more mythical than any other trails.

For the exception of snow and mud, stickies work many times better than non-stickies no matter where you wheel. From the damp forests of the northeast, to the dry deserts of California; stickies flat-out work better on wet or dry rocks.

Professional rock crawlers run whatever sticky tire their sponsors give them, and will gladly stand on the podium with sticky Falkens, Nittos, ProComps, Reds, or Treps.

OK, back to the Reds vs Treps thing;

1) A skilled driver in a well built rig will own everybody whether he is running 39" reds or WORN-IN 40" Treps. One is not more mythical than the other. I have seen some of the best rock crawlers in the world use both to great effect.

2) Treps need some break-in before they start hooking up; much more than reds do. Sticky Treps turn into a totally different tire once you round off the edges and feather back the top layer of rubber. Reds usually break in really fast.

3) Treps have a tougher sidewall than the reds, but as a consequence, also don't hold inner beads as well. If you are running single bead-locks, you MUST run the "Gorilla Tape Fix" on your wheels with the 40" (and 42") Treps. After 3 wraps of Gorilla tape, I never lose a bead on my 42" Treps at 4psi.

4) Sticky Treps wear slower than reds, probably because the lugs are much bigger. But both hook up excellent when they are almost completely bald.

5) Reds are cheaper than Treps, so you can get pretty much the same performance for less money. In the end, this is the real advantage of the reds.

Excellent synopsis

The reality is that any sticky will work very well in comparison to a non sticky
But, there are TINY differences between each sticky. Whether itís size / radial vs. bias / new or broken in / beadlock rims. Etc

Iíve wheeled regularly with dudes on 39 reds for years. Years. And they all laughed at snow wheeling as they hated it. They stayed home.
I didnít want that so I tried a set of 37 sticky treps. NONE of the dudes in our group has run em. Total crap shoot on my part

I found them tolerable in the snow, and great in the dry. (Again realize these were my first stickies). So I was biased

I wheeled them hard for 3 years and regrooved them 3 times. They were SHOT when I decided it was time for new tires. But realize I wheel a lot.
Zero sidewall issue. I ran beadlocks. 4 lb of air. Water in the fronts.

Ended up with sticky treps. Again. But I got 40ís
And I love em. I spent more each than reds FYI. But they fit MY needs.

So is there a ďbest 40Ē? No.

Any 40Ē sticky is going to make you giggle and smile
Old 10-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 89546

This is grooving #3 of my 37’s

Worn 37 next to new 40

Last edited by RYAN283; 10-26-2017 at 09:20 PM.
RYAN283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 05:51 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 803081
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAN283 View Post
Any 40Ē sticky is going to make you giggle and smile
That's what I like to hear!
Old 10-27-2017, 05:52 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 803081
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAN283 View Post

This is grooving #3 of my 37ís

Worn 37 next to new 40
Pic's no workie.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:28 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 83301
I gotta admit, I am watching this closely....I want a 40-42" tire, and with maxxis razr and procomp mt2 being so affordable.....really weighing if its worth the coin for reds.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #40 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 208352
[QUOTE=sterlingfire;42253505]What is the weight of your rig? My 6000 lb truck says that the bias, non sticky, treps do great on the rocks compared to mtrs,km2s,and IROK's. This is side by side comparison of my truck vs jeeps of varying models, and not likely bias or sticky tires on them. But i could climb rocks, wet or dry, with very little throttle while they were hitting Rev limiters, backing up and hitting it harder, or trying a different line altogether. I've only run mine twice so far, but they did well compared to others both times. Will sticky tires work better? I would hope so, but to say the bias absolutely suck on the rocks is far from accurate. Which is why i ask the weight of your rig, maybe that is the factor? I'm also only running a 37, so I'm not sure if that's part of the issue or not, maybe the 37's flex better? Could be a million things going on, but on my truck they're far better than the tsls, and pitbull maddoggs i was running before.[/QUOTE

This EXACTLY. I've wheeled them on my rig which is 6K# and most the other tires mentioned (Toyos, km2, pro comp mt) and they're nothing close to the tire my non-comp bias ply treps are. I'm currently driving them on 5psi on the street to get them to break in a bit better. This thread has a bit of useless info otherwise known as "opinions" apparently
06silverback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 343466
Quote:
I gotta admit, I am watching this closely....I want a 40-42" tire, and with maxxis razr and procomp mt2 being so affordable.....really weighing if its worth the coin for reds.
I went with the Maxxis Razr too. Nobody in our group is running em, so figured I'd give em a try. I got a set of 4 for $1400 off ebay last November.
wvjeepguy81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #42 (permalink)
gettin there

Member # 232666
[QUOTE=06silverback;42271345]
Quote:
What is the weight of your rig? My 6000 lb truck says that the bias, non sticky, treps do great on the rocks compared to mtrs,km2s,and IROK's. This is side by side comparison of my truck vs jeeps of varying models, and not likely bias or sticky tires on them. But i could climb rocks, wet or dry, with very little throttle while they were hitting Rev limiters, backing up and hitting it harder, or trying a different line altogether. I've only run mine twice so far, but they did well compared to others both times. Will sticky tires work better? I would hope so, but to say the bias absolutely suck on the rocks is far from accurate. Which is why i ask the weight of your rig, maybe that is the factor? I'm also only running a 37, so I'm not sure if that's part of the issue or not, maybe the 37's flex better? Could be a million things going on, but on my truck they're far better than the tsls, and pitbull maddoggs i was running before.[/QUOTE

This EXACTLY. I've wheeled them on my rig which is 6K# and most the other tires mentioned (Toyos, km2, pro comp mt) and they're nothing close to the tire my non-comp bias ply treps are. I'm currently driving them on 5psi on the street to get them to break in a bit better. This thread has a bit of useless info otherwise known as "opinions" apparently
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Some people think their specific situation should apply to every single situation out there...
Old 10-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #43 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 208352
Quote:
The cooper STT pro has also gotten a lot of good reviews and for $405/tire for a 40 isn't bad. Same armor-Tek sidewall as the mt2 also
Old 10-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #44 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silverback View Post
[This thread has a bit of useless info otherwise known as "opinions" apparently
Thanks for adding to that

desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #45 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 208352
[QUOTE=sterlingfire;42271425]
Quote:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Some people think their specific situation should apply to every single situation out there...
It's interesting isn't it? Lol......I've seen guys with rigs that have absolutely terrible link geometry blame the tires for not hooking up and gripping and inwanna smack them and tell them without any weight being transferred to grip shit it ain't gonna go anywhere you want it to
Old 10-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #46 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 208352
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dogg View Post
Thanks for adding to that

Anytime
Old 10-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #47 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 208352
What I'm getting at is that you may not think 9 psi is low, and 4 psi is.....but my rig is a 6,000#+ Tacoma and yours is a 4000# buggy. Both tires will probably bulge exactly the same. Then there's suspension variables that account for how well each tire is going to perform based on weight transfer, ect.

Basically it's like claiming your dick is 9" long, but you're looking at the cm side of the tape lol
Old 10-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
The cooper STT pro has also gotten a lot of good reviews and for $405/tire for a 40 isn't bad. Same armor-Tek sidewall as the mt2 also
Quite honestly this is prolly my top choice....other than price....cause I am not finding $405/ea???
Old 10-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 343466
Quote:
Quite honestly this is prolly my top choice....other than price....cause I am not finding $405/ea???
$383 each with coupon

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-40-13..._AHKVQ&vxp=mtr

Last edited by wvjeepguy81; 10-27-2017 at 10:56 AM.
wvjeepguy81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 10:57 AM   #50 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 208352
Tire crawler had them for $387 about 1.5 months ago and last week I checked they were $405 shipped for the 40"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in