Sticky 40's advise - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2017, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 803081
Sticky 40's advise

What sticky?
So I am finally catching up with the times and ditching my hummer 16.5's in favor of some 17" beadlocks. In all likelyness the rig will never see pavement again. It's not a comp rig by any stretch but want the best traction possible for the Colorado rocks. So I will pose the question, if you had any choice of tire out there what would you get ? And Why? Keep in mind this is not intended to be a tire shootout, just want to make an informed decision. Thanks.
TLINCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 11985
go watch all the youtube videos of the tougher CO trails and you'll see what people prefer. I would guess the irok and trep are popular out there (not sure what size the iroks come in a sticky).

that being said, I'm very happy with my 43" SX stickies
M&M Offroad triple threat chassis #27
1TFROT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2017, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 46942
Bfg reds is the only way to go! I had maxxis before and I swapped to reds and will never go back

Old 10-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Bfg for anything that gets wet. If you wheel in the winter, prepare yourself to own two sets of tires. Bfg reds and other stickies are the absolute worst tires that you will see in the snow, as in straight up floundering for traction on flat ground.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2017, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 185920
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjared413 View Post
Bfg reds is the only way to go! I had maxxis before and I swapped to reds and will never go back
What he said. All the locals I know are running reds and go back to them after trying treps.
time2getdirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2017, 12:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 31211
An entire group in front of us on Carnage Canyon (BV) were running BFG reds and all made it up the waterfall just before the V notch. Having been denied on the waterfall my first two times, I was reserved to the idea that I would probably have to pull cable again. To my surprise my old MTR rock spiders (stickies) took me right up and over the obstacle and I finally had my clean run of Carnage. It was probably right time, right day, right conditions for me to make it up, but no doubt, all the guys on reds made it pretty easy too.
charlieboyd65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2017, 07:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 803081
Have to admit. Did not expect the response to be so much for the RED's . I wheel quite a bit with a friend that has a buggy on 37 reds and it does hook up really well.

Only thing from keeping me from pulling the trigger on the RED' is their 39's are actually 38.5. With 60 and somewhat shaved 14B I think I need something at least in the 40" range. Or just pay attention more to the trail
Old 10-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLINCO View Post
Have to admit. Did not expect the response to be so much for the RED's . I wheel quite a bit with a friend that has a buggy on 37 reds and it does hook up really well.

Only thing from keeping me from pulling the trigger on the RED' is their 39's are actually 38.5. With 60 and somewhat shaved 14B I think I need something at least in the 40" range. Or just pay attention more to the trail
All tires except the 42" treps are inches smaller than advertised. 40" treps are 38.5" 43's are really 41ish.

42" treps are a full 4 inches taller than the 40" treps.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 39436
Why not just run 42" reds uf your concerned about dragging tons?
Old 10-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 435977
I run 42" IROK stickies and wheel with several guys on BFG Reds. The BFG's are better on the rocks, the IROK's are better in the snow and mud. I like to snow wheel in the winter so I will stick with the IROK's personally and I like the extra clearance that the 42 gives me over the 39.5 reds. You can get a 42" BFG but you will have to go to a 20" wheel...and those are cheap!
dadnson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 46942
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLINCO View Post

I went from 42 I-sucks to 40 Maxxis to 39.5 reds and I didn't really feel like I had to change my driving style...
Old 10-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 75858
39 Reds here and a second set of 39 Iroks for snow. I wheel with rigs ranging from 39 pbrs and reds to 40 Treps to 42 pbrs to 43 SX stickies. Each tire and size has it's moment but the 39 reds definitely hook the best whereas the 42/43" tires have better clearance. Since the OP asked about 40" tires, the 43's are kinda out of the range of discussion.

IMO the difference between a 39 red and a 40 sticky Trep is minimal but the reds are a little better.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 322985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
All tires except the 42" treps are inches smaller than advertised. 40" treps are 38.5" 43's are really 41ish.

42" treps are a full 4 inches taller than the 40" treps.
This is a comparison between 40" and 42" Comp Treps. The left is my 60% tread 40" vs a brand new 42." Both are mounted on Raceline beadlocks, and have roughly 30psi.
Attached Images

beaureed445 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 11985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Bfg for anything that gets wet. If you wheel in the winter, prepare yourself to own two sets of tires. Bfg reds and other stickies are the absolute worst tires that you will see in the snow, as in straight up floundering for traction on flat ground.
would disagree. the SX stickies work pretty good. atleast for Midwest winters/snow. there are better options, but they are not the worst by far.

find the best tire that works for your needs and don't worry about a little sacrifice for other conditions. if it has to be a 40", I'd probably run treps for the better sidewall. jmo

Last edited by 1TFROT; 10-24-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 46942
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TFROT View Post
would disagree. the SX stickies work pretty good. atleast for Midwest winters/snow. there are better options, but they are not the worst by far.
my buddy runs the 43 sx stickies and they work pretty good in the snow however he is talking about getting reds after as the 43's are huge and break shit...
Old 10-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 803081
I'm afraid (although would love to run 40++) 40's is about all my tired 4banger can push. Have a swap in mind but that's another nutshell.

Trep stickies are mentioned a lot , and I know I said "any tire you could run" but $800.00 a tire is a little hard to digest when crawlers have established themselves so well as a great sticky.

I too find myself doing some winter wheeling , and do know first hand crawlers don't do well in the snow. My last rig had 39.5 tsl's grooved, and you could not stop that thing in the snow.

Obviously, not a cut and dry answer however the info and real world experience is great, keep it coming.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Don't believe people who try to tell you only one "1 tire" will work in Colorado. They are just as bad as the AZ folks that we make fun of on Pirate when they claim that only 1 mythical tire is capable of running their secret trails. I run all over the west, and every state claims; 1) To have the hardest trails in the country, and 2) that only one tire works. Disregard that BS.

I have ran Boulder Canyon, Death Row and others in Colorado in my Rock Buggy, and they are no more mythical than any other trails.

For the exception of snow and mud, stickies work many times better than non-stickies no matter where you wheel. From the damp forests of the northeast, to the dry deserts of California; stickies flat-out work better on wet or dry rocks.

Professional rock crawlers run whatever sticky tire their sponsors give them, and will gladly stand on the podium with sticky Falkens, Nittos, ProComps, Reds, or Treps.

OK, back to the Reds vs Treps thing;

1) A skilled driver in a well built rig will own everybody whether he is running 39" reds or WORN-IN 40" Treps. One is not more mythical than the other. I have seen some of the best rock crawlers in the world use both to great effect.

2) Treps need some break-in before they start hooking up; much more than reds do. Sticky Treps turn into a totally different tire once you round off the edges and feather back the top layer of rubber. Reds usually break in really fast.

3) Treps have a tougher sidewall than the reds, but as a consequence, also don't hold inner beads as well. If you are running single bead-locks, you MUST run the "Gorilla Tape Fix" on your wheels with the 40" (and 42") Treps. After 3 wraps of Gorilla tape, I never lose a bead on my 42" Treps at 4psi.

4) Sticky Treps wear slower than reds, probably because the lugs are much bigger. But both hook up excellent when they are almost completely bald.

5) Reds are cheaper than Treps, so you can get pretty much the same performance for less money. In the end, this is the real advantage of the reds.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 322985
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dogg View Post
Don't believe people who try to tell you only one "1 tire" will work in Colorado. They are just as bad as the AZ folks that we make fun of on Pirate when they claim that only 1 mythical tire is capable of running their secret trails. I run all over the west, and every state claims; 1) To have the hardest trails in the country, and 2) that only one tire works. Disregard that BS.

I have ran Boulder Canyon, Death Row and others in Colorado in my Rock Buggy, and they are no more mythical than any other trails.

For the exception of snow and mud, stickies work many times better than non-stickies no matter where you wheel. From the damp forests of the northeast, to the dry deserts of California; stickies flat-out work better on wet or dry rocks.

Professional rock crawlers run whatever sticky tire their sponsors give them, and will gladly stand on the podium with sticky Falkens, Nittos, ProComps, Reds, or Treps.

1) A skilled driver in a well built rig will own everybody whether he is running 39" reds or WORN-IN 40" Treps. One is not more mythical than the other. I have seen some of the best rock crawlers in the world use both to great effect.

2) Treps need some break-in before they start hooking up; much more than reds do. Sticky Treps turn into a totally different tire once you round off the edges and feather back the top layer of rubber. Reds usually break in really fast.

3) Treps have a tougher sidewall than the reds, but as a consequence, also don't hold inner beads as well. If you are running single bead-locks, you MUST run the "Gorilla Tape Fix" on your wheels with the 40" (and 42") Treps. After 3 wraps of Gorilla tape, I never lose a bead on my 42" Treps at 4psi.

4) Sticky Treps wear slower than reds, probably because the lugs are much bigger. But both hook up excellent when they are almost completely bald.

5) Reds are cheaper than Treps, so you can get pretty much the same performance for less money. In the end, this is the real advantage of the reds.
This might be the best Reds vs Treps write up I've ever seen. I've run broken-in Reds and Treps. They've both served me well in OK, TX, MO, AR, UT.
beaureed445 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 11985
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjared413 View Post
my buddy runs the 43 sx stickies and they work pretty good in the snow however he is talking about getting reds after as the 43's are huge and break shit...
they are big and heavy for sure! plus sticky
Old 10-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 11985
Quote:

well said
Old 10-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaureed445 View Post
This might be the best Reds vs Treps write up I've ever seen.
Donít forget that the reds are made on a radial tire base and the treps are made on a bias ply base.

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 208352
I'm running a set of the 40" bias ply (NON-STICKY) treps on non-beadlocks @ 9psi in the rocks without issues or duct tape "fix". They handle wet conditions better than their sticky version (again...something I've heard but not experienced)
06silverback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silverback View Post
I'm running a set of the 40" bias ply (NON-STICKY) treps on non-beadlocks @ 9psi in the rocks without issues or duct tape "fix". They handle wet conditions better than their sticky version (again...something I've heard but not experienced)
1) 9 psi is a lot of air. Most rock buggies are running 5 or less. My buggy has never seen 5+ PSI in the tires except when I seat the beads. The duct tape fix works wonders for large thick-bead bias ply tires run at low pressure.

2) The bias non-sticky treps really suck in the rocks. You are better off going with Trail Grapplers, MTRs, KM2s, or IROKs if you are not going to go the sticky route. The standard non-sticky Maxxis compound sucks for rock crawling.

3) Stickies are MANY TIMES better on wet rocks than your non-sticky tires. MANY TIMES better / night vs day. Something I have EXPERIENCED, not heard.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 75858
Quote:
1) 9 psi is a lot of air. Most rock buggies are running 5 or less. My buggy has never seen 5+ PSI in the tires except when I seat the beads. The duct tape fix works wonders for large thick-bead bias ply tires run at low pressure.

2) The bias non-sticky treps really suck in the rocks. You are better off going with Trail Grapplers, MTRs, KM2s, or IROKs if you are not going to go the sticky route. The standard non-sticky Maxxis compound sucks for rock crawling.

3) Stickies are MANY TIMES better on wet rocks than your non-sticky tires. MANY TIMES better / night vs day. Something I have EXPERIENCED, not heard.
Agreed. I run 5-7 tops on a full bodied rig. Much less than 5 in the front and they fold over on down hill off camber stuff.

I went from reds to a set of non sticky bias Treps.......... for about 6 months. My hope was to get away from 2 sets of tires since I do alot of snow wheeling. The Treps sucked in the snow. They worked decent on the jagged rocks of the Minnesota Iron Range but they were horrible on smooth rocks.

I'm now back to reds with Iroks for the snow.

Last edited by white-rhino; 10-25-2017 at 12:27 PM.
white-rhino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 232666
Quote:

What is the weight of your rig? My 6000 lb truck says that the bias, non sticky, treps do great on the rocks compared to mtrs,km2s,and IROK's. This is side by side comparison of my truck vs jeeps of varying models, and not likely bias or sticky tires on them. But i could climb rocks, wet or dry, with very little throttle while they were hitting Rev limiters, backing up and hitting it harder, or trying a different line altogether. I've only run mine twice so far, but they did well compared to others both times. Will sticky tires work better? I would hope so, but to say the bias absolutely suck on the rocks is far from accurate. Which is why i ask the weight of your rig, maybe that is the factor? I'm also only running a 37, so I'm not sure if that's part of the issue or not, maybe the 37's flex better? Could be a million things going on, but on my truck they're far better than the tsls, and pitbull maddoggs i was running before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in