1940 Buick Special - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #226 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfowlkes View Post
This is coming together nicely! I love it. Let me k iw next time you need a hand before you go ruining your garage doors to lift stuff 😂🍻

i've got a better plan now, i might just take you up on your offer

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #227 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
This thing is looking great. It's come a long way for sure
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #228 (permalink)
zen as fuck

Member # 115122
How was the surgery? They didn't take any extra parts off you did they?

Old 08-24-2019, 07:56 PM   #229 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
This thing is looking great. It's come a long way for sure
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcxt View Post
How was the surgery? They didn't take any extra parts off you did they?
i guess it was good, i told them to just take the whole hand if things started to go south. guess it wasn't as bad as they thought can't use my hand outside of Phys Therapy for 6 weeks and all total 4-6 months before i'm off and running with it.

never had a cast before, that part sucks. also switched to carrying my gun loaded and on my strong side again. feels weird

Old 10-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #230 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
welp, now that i'm out of my brace/cast thing i can do a little more messing around. had the wife help out, got the body back out into the driveway and got another chance to look at stuff

this is about where the shock will end up, square to the lower link and 7* leaned in should keep it from every going over. now i just need to stare at it a bit more until a top mount tower reveals itself.

Name:  20191014_154956.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  86.4 KB

Name:  20191014_155010.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  75.7 KB

i'll take a little bit of progress over no progress, so that works. hopefully in the next week or two i can advance from stretching to strength training with my fingers

Last edited by Provience; 10-14-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:33 PM   #231 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
welp, cut out some of these thingy's for shock mounts. I can't hardly believe how many times I had to subtract 7" or 14" or measure the height of the shock. I actually drew these up on the computer and printed it out on paper because I was getting myself so mixed up

Name:  IMG_2796.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  52.3 KB

set these up so that the bottom side would be flat to the ground. turns out I can't hold the part, the level and the camera to take a picture. but it was level at some point

Name:  IMG_2803.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  51.7 KB

To match the location to the other side, I took a measurement from the shock mount, frame side upper link mount and frame side lower link mount. surprisingly, all three of those made a pretty accurate triangle. Then mocked up the shock to verify that was about right. due to some awesome variation in design, the driver side mount had to be hammer tapped about 1/8" or 3/16" or so. figured the most important was the distance from the lower shock mount on the axle and made that one match about right on

Name:  IMG_2804.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  40.7 KB

and then made some braces for the nose. I wanted to end up behind the upper shock mount but still make it around the exhaust manifold. If I ever get around to making some bump stops, then I can build in or off that corner as needed....or something

Name:  IMG_2805.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  84.0 KB

this actually made me a bit nervous to try, but worked out pretty dang well. notching the B pilar while it was tacked into place.

Name:  IMG_2806.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  74.7 KB

Old 11-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #232 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
and ended up with 6 pictures.

Name:  IMG_2807.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  76.0 KB

so, set the A-D roof bar in, the more I think about it, the more it looks like i'm going to work the balk half top down instead of bottom up. for some reason, I ended up about 8" too wide across the windshield, so that will need to be addressed before I notch and weld the A-D into place.

I was thinking that I would get the front shocks kind of set in place, but the whole think is still a bit floppy. so it will continue to sit shockless until it gets a bit more of the upper cage done.

also I need to figure out how to snake in a brace for the engine mount hoop. that joker is just a big heavy lever at the moment, but space is getting tight

Old 11-30-2019, 05:02 PM   #233 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Doesn't look substantially different, but cleaned up and fixed the B pillars so they 'should' work

Name:  IMG_2808.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  57.4 KB

and notched and bent and placed the roof bar. it is either in the correct spot, or i'm going to hammer the body to fit.

Name:  IMG_2809.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  74.5 KB

did a bit more staring at the rear hoop, need to tighten it up a touch and then it will be next. I also think I know how i'm going to brace the engine mounts.

then add fuel and burn rubber

edit: damn I was looking for this refresher earlier today could have saved myself some time

http://www.billavista.com/Tech/Artic...ion/index.html

Quote:
der handy to clean up the notches. After the initial cuts, test-fit the tubes and make any required touch-ups to the notch with the grinder (fig 8). Note that the values in Table 3 are for joining two tubes at 90 to one another. If you want to join the two tubes at an angle (either to offset the link from the joint, or more likely in other tube work such as roll-cage building) you must adjust your cuts as follows. Take the angle at which you want to joint the two tubes, and then modify the initial cut angles by adding this value to one, and subtracting it from the other. For example, if I wanted to join a 2 tube to a 2 tube, the initial cut angle is 30. If I wanted to join the tubes at a 15 angle, I would add 15 to one cut and subtract it from the other. In this way I would make one cut at 45 and the other at 15. The values in the table were calculated and kindly provided to me by Marc "Tigweld" Googer. Marc notes that the figures given are for .120" wall tubing and that wall thickness can dramatically affect fit. Thicker walled tube will require either an adjustemnt to the figures shown or some post-cut cleanup with the angle grinder...
Name:  grinder notch angle.png
Views: 29
Size:  14.1 KB

so many of the damn internet results (pages and pages) just want to take you to those programs and such. I just wanted the base angle chart because I couldn't remember it. pain in the ass to remember, and of course, billavista puts it under his link article instead of his tube notch article

Last edited by Provience; 11-30-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in