Pirate 4x4 banner

Anyone been to Strawberry Canyon off 50 ?

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Roc Dog 
#1 ·
Hey guys

Has anyone wheeled Strawberry Canyon off hwy 50 near the town of Strawberry ? Whats the terrain there and is it even worth going ? ( similer to Fordyce or the Con ) ?

Seeing how dreamflows is showing Fordyce at 450 cfm range right now.

http://www.dreamflows.com/graphs/day.063.html

Dave

#4 ·
Sounds like a place to Sunday drive :D

Has anyone been to fordyce latety ?

The water levels seems a little high :D as well as the pucker factor.

Dave

#7 ·
the slabs at teh top seem like you can play for awhile there,hwoever, getting to them is pretty easy from teh 88 side. i've heard of motorhomes pulling trailers right up to the slabs.

the 50 side is easy, jsut pretty narrow for my fullsize i tried taking up there. i didnt want to start trimming the tall brush and trees for the 200 feet I would have had to.

#9 ·
The Strawberry Creek trail is about 10 minutes from my family's house on Echo Summit, so I've run it dozens of times. The last time I ran it was last weekend. :flipoff2:

Honestly, the trail is pretty easy for anyone who's on this board, but that doesn't mean that a stock SUV could even come close to making it through, at least not from the Hwy 50 side. I've taken my folks' stock 1998 5.9 ZJ from the Hwy 88 side, and with gravity on my side and a little rock stacking in the two gnarly spots, I made it through unscathed. So in other words, if you're looking for any fun, don't start on the Hwy 88 side, start on the Hwy 50 side and go up the mountain from there.

When I went through last weekend, I led a pair of Samurai's, one on 32's with open diffs and the other on weenie tires with a locker, both relative 4x4 newbies. In the worst spot, both of them required significant winching to get through. But that's mostly because we removed ALL of the rocks that had been stacked to "pave" the trail. A couple of the following pictures are of my 4Runner on the toughest section, those 36" Irok's giving perspective to the size of the rocks. The others show me just fawkin' around with my new dual cases on the rocks.

This trail is more of a scenic afternoon drive for most of us on this board, worth driving at least once. But in the winter, this trail gets it awn!!! Nothing like steep uphill snowclimbs. TONS of fun!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.