Warm Hubs: Premium vs Standard - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 762594
Warm Hubs: Premium vs Standard

I've always ran Milemarker Supremes and really did not want to switch, but my RCVs for a Dana 44 I'm building came in today and I ordered the 300M hub gears with the axles. Unfortunately, the RCV hub gear upgrade kit is supposed to be specifically for Warn Premium hubs so I ordered a set of those also.

First thing i didn't like was the stupid lock ring thingy on each end of the middle gear that i was replacing. MM uses a good old regular snap ring with holes that you can use pliers on.

My real beef though is how ridiculously hard they are to turn. I bolted a cap on them to test in my hand before installing and the last 3/4" or so getting them turned fully to the lock position is brutal. Like hard to even do with channel locks.

I was thinking about replacing the Warn cap with my MM caps, but Warn had to go and use different cap bolts. I was thinking of trying a set of Warn 1/4 caps. Does anyone know if they would interchange? Or if the center gear that the axle goes into is the same so i could transplant these RCV gears into the non premium 1/4 turn hubs?
orcus45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Yukon hardcore hubs, fuck warns
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 762594
I hate them too, but re-read the post....i got the RCV 300M locking hub gear upgrade with my new RCV axles and the gear is supposed to be specifically for Warn hubs.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcus45 View Post
I hate them too, but re-read the post....i got the RCV 300M locking hub gear upgrade with my new RCV axles and the gear is supposed to be specifically for Warn hubs.
I read that, personally I would return them and get Yukons.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 762594
Well i have 30 spline outers now with the RCVs. I was tempted to ask them about doing 19 spline outers so i could run any old regular Dana 44 hubs but they advertise their 30 spline 300M hub upgrade kit as being as strong a drive flanges but able to have lockouts and that sold me on them even thought it also said they were specific to Warn Premiums. I'd have just done flanges if my front driveline angle wasn't so severe. I have to run a Tom Woods offset ujoint to avoid yoke/shaft interference and it causes horrible vibrations above 20mph. I NEED to have lockouts and now i have to have 30 spline lockouts. MM doesn't make 30 spline hubs for the D44 or i'd have to said screw the 300m hub gears and just got 30 spline MM hubs and not bought the 300m upgrade kit. Looks like Yukon does make 30 spline Dana 44 hubs and i could probably return the 300m hub gear upgrade kit ($150) and the Warn Premiums ($130) and pretty much pay for the Yukons. I had looked at them before and read horror stories about them being very hard to lock/unlock as well though and that installation is a bit of a pain. Don't they have to be shimmed or something? I was really just wondering as a first attempt to remedy my situation if i could use the Warn 1/4 turn caps with the Warn Premium internals.

Last edited by orcus45; 03-03-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Yes sir

Yukon (YHC70005) Hardcore Locking Hub Set for Dana 30/44 Differential with 30-Spline https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSIWR0S..._Ea4MAb77PNH0X
Old 03-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 762594
Well i might just end up going to the Yukons before its over. I had already looked at them before but got turned off by some reviews about hard to install and hard to turn.

I'm stuck with the POS Warn Premiums now because i thew away the box already but i should at least be able to return the RCV 300m hub gear kit ($150) if i have to. I'd like to just use what i have for now. Hopefully someone will chime in and tell me if the Warn Premium and the cheaper Warn 1/4 turn use the same internals or not. Every set of the 1/4 turn Warns i have ever seen were VERY easy to lock/unlock. If i could use those with the 300m gears i already have i'd just do that.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 235434
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Yukon hardcore hubs, fuck warns
^^^
This
tahoechief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I reread your post, seems like something is off. Is the hub hard to turn with the stock gear in place? Maybe there is an issue with the RCV piece not fitting perfectly.

As much as I hate them, every warn premium hub I've used was super easy to turn also.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 762594
I'll have to put the stock gear back in and check. I didnt bolt the cap on before swapping the gears. I bolted one cap after the swap and it was hard to turn, then done the other gear swap and it was very easy to turn...for a few times...then after 5-6 lock/unlocks it also became VERY hard to turn to the fully locked position.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 690690
Yukon all the way, Ran them on my RCV equipped D44 and current RJ60 with RCV's, They come with the spacers but I needed different ones to work on my application which Yukon has. Assemble with a lighter grease for easier use.
bkh98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2018, 06:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 303913
I have RCV’s in my Ford 44 with Warn hubs and upgrade - zero issues for me - turning firm, yet uniformly smooth.

I would relook my install. Make sure the locking components are not cock-eyed in the hub, put a little grease on the soil lines, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
deathmobile2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 235434
Quote:
I'll have to put the stock gear back in and check. I didnt bolt the cap on before swapping the gears. I bolted one cap after the swap and it was hard to turn, then done the other gear swap and it was very easy to turn...for a few times...then after 5-6 lock/unlocks it also became VERY hard to turn to the fully locked position.
I had the same issue with mine, never did figure it out, so figured the yucons wouldn't be any worse. The Yucons are nice as they are internal to the drive hub. I did however need to make a different spacer for mine, I just used a half inch long piece of link material I had from when I did my 3 link it was the perfect diameter.
tahoechief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Get the Yukons, just be prepared to fuck around with them to make them work correctly.

I'd blame them fully for their tendency to not fit, but there is a lot of variation between hubs/spindles/stub shafts/etc and they're designed for strength which leaves no slop to account for tolerances between different parts. They really should have included a few different spacers with them though, as that is the main problem people have.

On my D60 the stub shafts were too long, so they jammed into the dial when you bolted it all together. And that was with Yukon shafts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 724498
Quote:
My real beef though is how ridiculously hard they are to turn. I bolted a cap on them to test in my hand before installing and the last 3/4" or so getting them turned fully to the lock position is brutal. Like hard to even do with channel locks.
I think you may have something wrong here. I have and have had several sets of these hubs and they all turned with just fingers with no problems.

Are the hubs dry or greased? Maybe there is a defective part?

Anyone else every had a new hub that couldn't be turned?
Buckin69bronco2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 762594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckin69bronco2.0 View Post
I think you may have something wrong here. I have and have had several sets of these hubs and they all turned with just fingers with no problems.

Are the hubs dry or greased? Maybe there is a defective part?

Anyone else every had a new hub that couldn't be turned?
Just the factory grease. The hubs and the RCV hub gear are brand new. What's confusing me is that when bolting the cap on and testing the second one in my hand for proper lock/unlock, it worked great for 5-6 times then suddenly got really hard to turn just like the other one.

I should have just gotten the Yukons. I had read a bunch of the fitment issues in forum reviews and also some mentioned they can be very hard to turn. I wanted something strong and easy to install and RCV upgrade kit sounded good and they claim drive flange strength although that's probably not quite true. Still this setup should be plenty strong of I can get the hubs to turn easier. I'm being lazy today but will try to get motivated and go put the stock gear back in one later, bolt a cap on and see how it feels.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 716946
Now you have me curious. I have 2 sets of warm premiums here and have never had a hard to turn issue but I’ve never tried to cycle them a bunch of times. I normally lock them at the start of the day and unlock back at the pavement. I’m going to cycle them back and forth tom morn and see if they change
1975f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2018, 11:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ford Bigot

Member # 31227
What light contact does to Warn hubs:

Buy Yukons and be done with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FordFascist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2018, 12:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
what is the word on the Dynaloc hubs by Dynatrac?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
what is the word on the Dynaloc hubs by Dynatrac?
Last I heard, they were $$$

Edit: looks like about $560 for a pair, I just bought Yukons for $360 shipped......to be fair, I'm starting to hear of more and more problems with Yukon stuff, I think the hubs are solid though.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 03-05-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:08 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 762594
I got a minute last night to mess with them and found out why they are hard to turn. If I remove the cap and line up the teeth on the innermost gear with the engage/disengage gear that moves in and out then the hubs lock/unlock just fine. Problem is those gears are not going to always be lined up when I want to lock them and if they are not, then the spring is way too strong and does not compress enough to allow the dial to turn fully. Seems the spring is just far to stiff. It should just apply adequate pressure for the slip gear to be under pressure and when the tires move slighty after turning the dial and things line up for it to slip on down over the inner gear and lock. Going to put the stock inner gear back in one tonight and see if it does the same thing.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 210244
1. Correct driveshaft problem.
2. Install drive flanges.
3. Go wheeling.

My Diesel Sport Trac Build

69DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 762594
Quote:
I got a minute last night to mess with them and found out why they are hard to turn. If I remove the cap and line up the teeth on the innermost gear with the engage/disengage gear that moves in and out then the hubs lock/unlock just fine. Problem is those gears are not going to always be lined up when I want to lock them and if they are not, then the spring is way too strong and does not compress enough to allow the dial to turn fully. Seems the spring is just far to stiff. It should just apply adequate pressure for the slip gear to be under pressure and when the tires move slighty after turning the dial and things line up for it to slip on down over the inner gear and lock. Going to put the stock inner gear back in one tonight and see if it does the same thing.
Does the same thing with the stock gear. Checked my old Milemarker hubs to see if the RCV gear would fit in them and it does not. Warn hubs suck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in