What brand/type hydraulic hose and where to buy - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49159
What brand/type hydraulic hose and where to buy

I've decided I want to run field serviceable -8 for my transmission cooler, fuel line and power steering. I'm finding that I can't afford it

FC300-8 would fit my needs just not my budget. May just be where I've been shopping. What have folks that have gone down this road before me found?
Old 08-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Mine is not field service fittings, but I got cheap 2 wire hose from the local shops.
It is more than enough to suit the needs of a transmission cooler.
welndmn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2018, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
You wouldn't run the same hose for fuel, trans, and steering. Steering is a lot higher pressure and using the same hose for the trans and fuel would be a waste of money and you wouldn't even like the hose as much. As such, you're likely not going to end up getting everything from the same source.

The cheapest source I've found for hydraulic hose is standard 100R2AT at Discount Hydraulic Hose:

https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...Hose_s/360.htm

You will find field-serviceable fittings there as well once you click on the size you want. This is the same stuff that @welndmn is referring to. [Edit, after re-reading his post, maybe not?)

There are tons of options for fuel hose that I can't possibly cover. Summit has good prices on a lot of it, but it doesn't need to be fancy. Fuel will be less than 100psi so the requirements to hold such pressure are not nearly as much as steering. If you used steering hose for fuel you would not only be spending more than necessary but also the hose would be way stiffer and less pliable than you would like. The biggest concerns when it comes to fuel hose is not pressure rating, (Just make sure it's working pressure meets your fuel pressure needs, most likely about 60psi.) but durability to abrasion and resistance to heat.

The trans hose is on the return side of the trans, so it needs to hold even less pressure than fuel. Nearly any hose will work here. I don't know how fancy you're trying to get or what trans and fittings you're using, but anything from hose barbs and worm clamps to the same stuff you use for fuel will work. You'll need to adapt your trans to use -AN fittings most likely if you're trying to do anything beyond worm clamps and barbs.

FC300 is nice but fancy stuff. I don't see it much anywhere. I'm sure that the high-end race teams are using it or similar, but it's probably unrealistic and unnecessary for someone with a budget.

Lastly, field-serviceable is nice, but adds A TON of cost to the steering system, especially with rear steer. I did my last buggy with all field-serviceable hydraulics and it did pay off once or twice. It depends a lot on the complexity of your system. But after I ran the cost analysis of a rear steer rig using field-serviceable fittings vs. just buying a used crimper, it was about the same. I'v since purchased used crimping tools that I use in my shop press. Details about that can be found here:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...-crimping.html

Lots of variables, but you will likely have the most money into the steering, then the fuel, then the trans. So I would spend the most time shopping and researching steering if I were you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

patooyee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49159
Thanks patooyee. Your correct but if I can find a way to swing having interchangeable spare hose without breaking the bank I'm going to try to do it for the sake of ease of repairs out in the sticks.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
Thanks patooyee. Your correct but if I can find a way to swing having interchangeable spare hose without breaking the bank I'm going to try to do it for the sake of ease of repairs out in the sticks.
Steering = 1200psi+
Fuel = less than 100psi
Trans = less than fuel

Pretty big difference between steering and all else. Using fuel for trans is no big deal though. I'd concentrate on using one product for fuel and trans and a separate one on steering personally. That's what I did on the last rig. Especially since you say that budget is a factor. Let me know what you figure out though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

patooyee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 47337
I've had great luck with both Fragola and aeroquip PTFE hose/fittings for full hydro setups. Been using both almost exclusively in my shop for the last 10yrs with no issues yet
Fl-Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Your local CAT dealer. What ever hose they recommend, they can do the field fittings or crimped.

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 04:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 97574
Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post

Lastly, field-serviceable is nice, but adds A TON of cost to the steering system, especially with rear steer. I did my last buggy with all field-serviceable hydraulics and it did pay off once or twice. It depends a lot on the complexity of your system. But after I ran the cost analysis of a rear steer rig using field-serviceable fittings vs. just buying a used crimper, it was about the same. I'v since purchased used crimping tools that I use in my shop press. Details about that can be found here:
Howe requires field serviceable, and it makes sense after measuring. The fitting ID is slightly larger therefore less flow restriction.
ROXROES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2018, 04:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 853760
With a flow of only 1/2 gpm #4 (1/4) hose would be more than enough.
#4 100-R2 is rated for a working pressure of 5KPSI, #6 (3/8) has a working pressure of 4KPSI. The burst pressures are 20KPSI for #4 and 16KPSI for #6.
If it was something that was running continuously I would definetly go bigger but a press isn't running for hours on end so heat won't be a problem. Saying that, I can't see you ever bursting #6 so go with what you can get cheaper.
Any of the common names are good Parker, Gates, Weatherhead are a few. The fittings are supposed to be interchangeable between brands as long as it's the same style of hose.
Kyaguki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2018, 07:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
You wouldn't run the same hose for fuel, trans, and steering. Steering is a lot higher pressure and using the same hose for the trans and fuel would be a waste of money and you wouldn't even like the hose as much. As such, you're likely not going to end up getting everything from the same source.

The cheapest source I've found for hydraulic hose is standard 100R2AT at Discount Hydraulic Hose:

https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...Hose_s/360.htme you.

Used them for a bunch if hoses (like 2k worth). Great to deal with and good prices.
Even with shipping they were about 1/2 the price of local.

Last edited by nate379; 08-03-2018 at 07:15 AM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2018, 07:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
china ptfe for fuel is cheap
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in