Exhaust flex turbo-diesel - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Exhaust flex turbo-diesel

I'm working on my exhaust right now. I got one of these woven stainless exhaust flex joints. Has anyone put one of these right after the turbo? It would be nice if I could put it there. But not sure if it gets too hot there. I'm talking about an inch away from the band clamp that the "down" pipe would go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 69633
Location: I live in my body: On the land near Paradise Township, Jefferson State, not by choice.
When you say right after the turbo you mean before or after the downpipe Or on the up pipes before the turbo ?

I didn't see where you mentioned what platform you were working on or what engine ?

My LBZ Duramax has bellows on the up pipes but not on the downpipe.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 181868
I'm not sure of the lingo, but I'm talking about on the back of the turbo there's a rib flange. It has a band clamp to another rib flange. I would like to weld the flex coupling an inch behind that.

Where the elbow is right now. (In place of the elbow) This is a Cummins 4BT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by waterhorse; 01-08-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 168108
For that close to the turbo Id suggest a exhaust bellow and not those woven ones. Ive seen a few of them come apart and cause issues.
dieselboy740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 69633
Location: I live in my body: On the land near Paradise Township, Jefferson State, not by choice.
The flex piece can come several ways the mesh braid, the bellows single and double thick and the braid with the bellows inside.

What inside diameter ?

I may have a few pieces depending on size.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 181868
It's 3" diameter. I could put about two feet of straight tube and then the flex. It seems like that would allot of stress on the band clamp. I guess I could put the flex anywhere in that two feet. How about 8" from the turbo?

Old 01-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 69633
Mine are all larger but yes 8 inches looks like a good length if there is any stress I would add a insulated brace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
It's 3" diameter. I could put about two feet of straight tube and then the flex. It seems like that would allot of stress on the band clamp. I guess I could put the flex anywhere in that two feet. How about 8" from the turbo?
Old 01-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 89362
They do make turbo flex couplers that have a liner inside. Not sure if that is the type you have? They do last a bit longer than the others ones with no liner. I prefer to mount them vertically so they work in a compression/extension with the main vibrations or movement caused by the engine. I feel they last a bit longer in that configuration. I would think if it is the liner type, you could mount it just behind the 90 degree bend you have. Pointing it downward would be the way I would do it. Not sure where you are planning on running the rest of the exhaust though from your pic?
too tall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by too tall View Post
They do make turbo flex couplers that have a liner inside. Not sure if that is the type you have? They do last a bit longer than the others ones with no liner. I prefer to mount them vertically so they work in a compression/extension with the main vibrations or movement caused by the engine. I feel they last a bit longer in that configuration. I would think if it is the liner type, you could mount it just behind the 90 degree bend you have. Pointing it downward would be the way I would do it. Not sure where you are planning on running the rest of the exhaust though from your pic?
Mine has woven stainless on the inside also. It's obviously not the same because it's about 1/2" thick. But I don't know if there is any kind of liner in between the two woven surfaces. I would like to cut the 90 bend off and weld the flex right there. It would be somewhat difficult to keep the 90. I would have to put another 90 right away going back.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Braided stainless flex joints are just bellows style flex joints with braided steel over them to make them less flexible.

They're fine as long as you don't expect to hang a lot of weight off them or expect a short section to deal with a ton of flex.

I think you'd be fine putting one right off the turbo so long as the rest of the system is done properly.
arse_sidewards is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in