Which Rear HP Axle? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 21507
Quote:
Originally Posted by sancho1 View Post
I see.

Also had a question about housing strength for 3rd member type axles.

so we have concluded Gearworks 3rd now we have the choice of housings.

Tubeworks
Currie
Spider
Trail Gear
Ruff Stuff

I would like 8 on 6.5 with standard brakes and full float 40 spline hubs

Tubeworks builds bad ass housings, but price and delivery would turn me off of them.

Can't really never go wrong with Currie, but I believe they are no better or worse than any other.

Spidertrax is a company you can never go wrong with, they build nice stuff and are good people.

Trail Gear... No

Ruff Stuff makes quality stuff at a fair price and are good people as well.

Just my .02
Old 01-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 543
What motor, transmission? How much HP? What size tire? How fast do you drive? How hard on parts are you? Racing? Trying to see if I can talk you out of running a backwards gearset.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
if budget isn't much of a concern, i'd go with the company that offers you the best support. as in, answers the phone or calls you back in a reasonable time. gives you up front information about their products and takes the time to walk you through the options so that you can get what you need the first time.

anybody who fails at that before the purchase will only fail at that much worse after the fact.

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 862078
Location: A Place so close to Mexico You Can Smell the Menudo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
What motor, transmission? How much HP? What size tire? How fast do you drive? How hard on parts are you? Racing? Trying to see if I can talk you out of running a backwards gearset.
Typical ls3 th400 atlas 5.0 not into rock bouncing. 39" reds with water.

recreational wheeler 3400lb buggy.

I would say im pretty hard on parts, dont want to wrench or carry spares.
sancho1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mac View Post
Tubeworks builds bad ass housings, but price and delivery would turn me off of them.

Can't really never go wrong with Currie, but I believe they are no better or worse than any other.

Spidertrax is a company you can never go wrong with, they build nice stuff and are good people.

Trail Gear... No

Ruff Stuff makes quality stuff at a fair price and are good people as well.

Just my .02
How many housings have you bought from Currie, Ruff Stuff and Trail Gear? I have bought from all and completely disagree with your "experience."
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 08:10 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
How many housings have you bought from Currie, Ruff Stuff and Trail Gear? I have bought from all and completely disagree with your "experience."
Care to explain?

BTW.... Not asking to start shit, but I question some of his statements in that post as well.
SLOWPOKE693 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 53528
fwiw this guy sold his spidertrax housings in favor for curries race housings

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/newb...ouversons.html
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 10:45 PM   #33 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 236179
Quote:
You're right, just as long as you don't mind having the weakest version of a D70 possible.

I Also think the "Spidertrax and Gearworks will still be in business in 10 years" applies here too....
Curious as to why they are the weakest? I thought they got a lot of praise here.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 543
What locker are you wanting? ARB, Detroit, spool?
I have seen bent standard Rock jock tubes. They were 1/4 wall, and under a jk, untrussed.
If money ainít a thang, and you donít drive fast, and you have a priority of a high drive shaft clearance, what about some portals. I have no experience with them, but I would do anything before I ran a hp rear axle. Especially on a trail rig. Comp crawler, ok maybe.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:34 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
Care to explain?

BTW.... Not asking to start shit, but I question some of his statements in that post as well.
Ruffstuff (~8 yrs ago) 3rd flange arrived in-machined and with nearly 3/16" of warpage. I returned it, they machined it, but the now flat surface was no longer square to the the shaft axis nor centered in the tubes and the mounting studs were at weird angles. Dan personally came and picked it up and gave me cash for it. Ruff stuff then updated all of their methods and inspections. Still a great guy and a good product. I have bought another housing from them that went with a rig before I installed it.

Currie (3 yrs ago and 2nd hand, but a new housing none the less) crooked long side tube, by A LOT. I straightened it myself and moved along as I was not the original purchaser. There were pictures in my build thread.

TG I have bought 3 housings from. All were flawless. I would not consider them "the best," but for my needs I would buy another. Someone always answers the phone and parts are always in stock. Jesse Haines is building with them, I think his reputation speaks for itself.

I was mostly interested in knowing if Mac was passing along personal or not nternet experience?

Last edited by Wilson; 01-12-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Kinda what I thought about TG. Thanks for confirming that for me with first hand experience.

I have future plans involving a JHF chassis and TG housings. Just wanted to make sure the info I had was good before I jumped on a pair of those axle housings.

SLOWPOKE693 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 862078
Quote:
What locker are you wanting? ARB, Detroit, spool?
I have seen bent standard Rock jock tubes. They were 1/4 wall, and under a jk, untrussed.
If money ainít a thang, and you donít drive fast, and you have a priority of a high drive shaft clearance, what about some portals. I have no experience with them, but I would do anything before I ran a hp rear axle. Especially on a trail rig. Comp crawler, ok maybe.

spool, i dont drive fast. I have had portals on a different buggy mog9 to be exact. i dont want to change the front axle at all.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 543
5.0 seems steep for a LS, what gears in the axles?
Are you replacing a rear axle? Or is this a build plan?
Just understand the inherent weakness of the coast side. Every effort of the design of the hypoid gear strength was given to the drive side, the coast side is just what was left over. I forget the maximum torque numbers of the coast side of a hp60 vs the drive side that were calculated in posts made long ago by someone much smarter than me. There was a big difference. That being said, load bolts and 3rd pinion bearings are going to help, but they will not make them as strong as a low pinion. So under your criteria, I would say your only option is the GW.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 862078
Quote:
5.0 seems steep for a LS, what gears in the axles?
Are you replacing a rear axle? Or is this a build plan?
Just understand the inherent weakness of the coast side. Every effort of the design of the hypoid gear strength was given to the drive side, the coast side is just what was left over. I forget the maximum torque numbers of the coast side of a hp60 vs the drive side that were calculated in posts made long ago by someone much smarter than me. There was a big difference. That being said, load bolts and 3rd pinion bearings are going to help, but they will not make them as strong as a low pinion. So under your criteria, I would say your only option is the GW.

i have 4.56 gears. i made some high clearance style rear links and the driveshaft will be the first to hit.

I was spoiled from a previous rig of mog 9 axles with hp front and low pinion rear. never ever had a issue with clearance. I think with 39" reds at the lowest point of the axle i could still clear a 5 gallon bucket.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 862078
I have a 5.0 atlas and 3.8 which ever the rig goes for axles and gears in axles i can swap them around. They are both setup the exact same just different ratios
Old 01-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 543
What is the front?
Old 01-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 862078
Quote:
What is the front?

79 Dana 60 HP with Jana 76 Kit Detroit 35 spline 300m RCV Reid Knuckles, Drive Flanges
Old 01-12-2019, 04:59 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 543
Quote:
79 Dana 60 HP with Jana 76 Kit Detroit 35 spline 300m RCV Reid Knuckles, Drive Flanges
Sweet!
Heavy in the front with noassatall. Itíll climb like a billy goat. Good luck sancho.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:48 AM   #44 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 21507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post

Currie 10ish
Ruff Stuff 4
Trail gear 6
Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #45 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 21507
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Curious as to why they are the weakest? I thought they got a lot of praise here.
Small Pinion Bearings

It's a cool setup, I wasn't bashing them, just has no place in the same conversation as a GW 10" as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by The Mac; 01-14-2019 at 06:51 AM.
The Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #46 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Currie 10ish
Ruff Stuff 4
Trail gear 6
I'd like to hear why you dislike the TG housings? I've build at least six and never had an issue. The Currie unit I built leaking from the welds and was the only unit I had to have straightened. Ruffstuff housings are just stupid big.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #47 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 21507
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleygo3 View Post
I'd like to hear why you dislike the TG housings? I've build at least six and never had an issue. The Currie unit I built leaking from the welds and was the only unit I had to have straightened. Ruffstuff housings are just stupid big.
admittedly the TG housings I used were pretty early and I just dint feel like the welds and over quality was very good, been a long time since I done one so they could be amazing now.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 862078
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleygo3 View Post
On the TG housings I would need to run 8 on 6.5 do you know if that can be done?
Old 01-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 137386
It can be done. Ruff Stuff sells press-in/weld-on spindles that you can use 14 bolt hubs. You can have custom 35 spline axles made (Moser Eng, Dutchman Axles ...). Trail Gear housings are very well made.
Heres a couple pics of mine
Attached Images

Kennyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #50 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
On the TG housings I would need to run 8 on 6.5 do you know if that can be done?
Yes, no different than any other bare housing. You can get the TG housing with bearing pockets already welded on. But you'd have to run a unit bearing. But that's not a bad thing.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in