Volvo C304 Turbo Diesel Build - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by yitzac1990 View Post
The 9 holes will be LED indicators, and 1 of them will be a "hidden" start button. The owner wants the start button to match the LEDs so they all look the same. We have yet to pick out specific LEDs and a button, so I left them as pilot holes. They can be drilled out to whatever size we need at a later time. This way, the spacing is already perfectly where we want them.

I used a hidden starter button down by the seat belt roller anchor

Even a passenger in the vehicle won’t see me hit it
And it’s in series with the regular starter switch on the Column so you have to hit em both
Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

For some, Freedom matters, for most, prosperity suffices.[Fred Reed]

74Bronco EFI 5spd
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 05:22 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 788993
I dont think he wants to get THAT hidden haha, but good idea!
Old 04-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 788993
well finally got some more 0 AWG ring terminals to hook up the battery so I was able to turn the motor over to check starter function and it works great! Also got a universal relay box in so I can get all the relays wired up and ready to go! Not too much longer now before it will be running!

Old 04-29-2019, 06:18 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 788993
ITS ALIVE!!! started up the volvo for the first time in YEARS yesterday and it ran great! I will try to take video later today and put it online. Until then, here are finally some more general pictures of the vehicle and suspension.

rear axles "walking beam" suspension:

underside of the rear (sorry about the spider web in the way, its been sitting a while...)

interior shot on passenger side. Normally the brake reservoir is located in the middle "section" but I had to relocate it to make room for the ignition switch and switch panel. Also as of last night (after these pics were taken), there is a relay center under the dash of the passenger side. Also, im not sure how well you can see it, but the radiator fill port is actually located in the middle section of the dash. so the switch panel will have to be taken out to fill the radiator!

a general side view again

kid tested, mother approved!

I cant really take any pictures of the rear interior because its currently filled with junk/parts/etc. from the build. its pretty much filled from top to bottom, so much stuff to sort through!
Old 04-29-2019, 06:50 AM   #30 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
I don't see a "walking beam" there. Unless I'm missing something, there is no "influence" on one axle to the other. Could you take a better pic of the rear driveshaft? I'm interested in the front of it. Does it move with the front axle?

Ps congrats on running

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by waterhorse; 04-29-2019 at 06:52 AM.
waterhorse is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 06:55 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 85771
So one axle is suspended by one end of the leaf?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:36 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 788993
well, maybe its not walking beam, thats just what I was told by a fellow member, earlier in this thread. both axles work together on one leaf spring (on each side of the vehicle of course). besides the leaf, the axles are tied together by the "lower control arms" that you can see connected to the frame support.

the rear rear driveshaft does move with both axles together. the front of the last driveshaft is driven off the front rear axle. the front rear axle has an offset differential, and the rear rear axle has a centered housing. does that make sense? haha.

i will try to get some better pics today before I get too dirty continuing working on it.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:35 PM   #33 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Ok, I guess that leaf spring mount pivots. So I suppose if the front axle goes up, it forces the rear down somewhat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:33 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 788993
yeah, that sounds about right haha. I got some better pictures of the rear suspension yesterday, take a look!

I also got a short video of it running!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgF0YIXPETk

I think the brake master cylinder is bad and needs to be rebuilt, because there is NO brake pressure at all, but there is definitely fluid in the lines and no leaks. Once that is fixed, it will be able to drive on the road!

Last edited by yitzac1990; 04-30-2019 at 05:45 AM.
yitzac1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
That pic is interesting. So have you seen how the rear driveshaft is drivin? It would be cool to pull that cover. I guess there's a gear on the pinion and another on the front of that driveshaft. I suppose there's another in between to keep it the same direction.

There wouldn't be a chain in there?

Thanks for posting.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:03 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 788993
i think youre right, i dont think there would be a chain on something like this. I believe there is a gear behind that 6 bolt cover, with an intermediate gear between it and the diffs pinion gear. But I have not taken it apart myself, no need to. However my buddy wants to order 3 new sets of R&Ps (for better highway driving) which will obviously require the diffs to come apart. Maybe if that ever even happens I can have him take some pics, but dont hold your breath, as that is a lot of money and time, and they have to be shipped from Croatia.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:23 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 221907
Hi

Nice to see a pretty rare swedish car been taken care in Us.

On the link below you can download the workshop manual and the parts book if you don't have them.

Volvo TGB 11/12/13/20 - Terrängbil.net: Forum

A lot of the parts are from Volvo passenger cars, for example the pinion seal is the same as on one of Volvo 740 rear axles.

Last edited by pigge; 05-04-2019 at 03:26 AM.
pigge is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 04:38 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 788993
wow, thank you for that info!! I actually just dropped off the volvo with its owner for completion of the project. My work was just to get it running and driving, and that was acheived. I have forwarded him this info, I know he will want to download everything!

Speaking of dropping it off, I probably wont be posting much more now on account of my work on it being done. In saying that, here is a short video of me driving it to his house to drop it off. he REALLY needs to re-gear it because it seems to top out at 45 mph. Then again, there is no tachometer, so i wasn't sure what my RPMs were at. but I didnt want to over-rev it and it seemed to be getting pretty loud. Other than that, it actually drives really nice and everything worked great!

also, I wasnt prepared to take a real nice video, or else I would have mounted the phone on the windshield and taken a much longer video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Zr4-3Znl8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in