CutlerFab Shop Thread - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 687330
Killer work...and thanks for putting it all in one place! Lots of material here to get me inspired!
nyebrosfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 24741
Send a message via AIM to Kraqa Send a message via MSN to Kraqa
amazing. thanks for sharing.

Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | RCV Performance Shafts | Redwood Plastics & Rubber

Instagram & Twitter: @Kraqa
Kraqa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 53677
awesome work as always!

IG: @partiallycommittedracing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
slravene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
I appreciate all the compliments and continued support pirate fam!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last buggy Build thread;

LS2, th350, atlas 3.0, spidertrax 9's, 39's.
mcutler1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #30 (permalink)
TBD

Member # 194369
Amazing. Interested to see how that turnkey U4 concept turns out. I like the looks of the Chassis.

If the day ever comes I have disposable money instead of bills to pay, I want that Comanche's duplicate... With maybe one or two slight changes.

Great stuff! Love your threads.

'09 Nissan Frontier
Titan Swapped, 4.10's, ARB's F/R, 35's, bunch of other shit
westracing01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #31 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
Wow nice shop
killer fab work

fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 01:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Quote:
Originally Posted by westracing01 View Post
Amazing. Interested to see how that turnkey U4 concept turns out. I like the looks of the Chassis.

If the day ever comes I have disposable money instead of bills to pay, I want that Comanche's duplicate... With maybe one or two slight changes.

Great stuff! Love your threads.
Well I already know how the next manche would be. It would start with a 2door Cherokee from the seats forward. I had never owned any unibody jeep, and had no clue in the difference in the door size. 🤯

Last buggy Build thread;

Old 03-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 78410
What are your thoughts on the Fireball tool squares are they worth the money? Been thinking about picking a few.
thirteenbelow0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 06:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteenbelow0 View Post
What are your thoughts on the Fireball tool squares are they worth the money? Been thinking about picking a few.
They should be the first squares, that anyone who enjoys fabricating, should buy!

Even before a fab table.

Last buggy Build thread;

Last edited by mcutler1; 03-05-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:03 AM   #35 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
I miss CutlerFab pics and the good ol days of Pirate.

Offroad Design ♦ Atomic MC ♦ Jantz Engineering
K5runner@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #36 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Been going along on aluminum for Sam's buggy.

Getting the Everlast 250ex, tuned in to weld up the fuel cell.

Constantly learning and making steps towards being an all around proficient metal melter.

I was having some contamination and peppering issues... but got those worked out.

You can see the trash in the starts...

So I tried just a fusion weld to eliminate the factor of the material, as you can see, good clean fusion... which tells me the material is clean and left me with contaminated filler.

Still peppering in the starts after doing additional cleaning of filler...

So, I did some more cleaning of filler, and switched up from ceriated and a regular collet and #5 ceramics , to a #5 gas saver and 2% lanthanated. All the while maintaining 128 amps, 30% en, 75 hz and 15 cfh.

I think it's ironed out now and ready to lay some dimes on the 1/8 aluminum, open corner joints of the fuel cell.

Continues...

CutlerFab

Last buggy Build thread;

Old 03-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #37 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Edges prepped, mocked up, ready to lay out weld in bungs, filler neck, fuel sump, vent/roll over, and mounting pucks. Ended up being just over 12 gallons capacity.

Btw; I had my material sheared and bent locally, my machines won't handle 1/8 aluminum. But I mis-labled the bend angle....
So I said wth, loaded the material in the baliegh magnetic brake..25" long mind you, and it worked effortlessly. Also used it as a work holder and skill saw guide to re-trim the piece!

CutlerFab

Last buggy Build thread;

Old 03-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 83301
awesome work on dialing in the tig welds....any reason you couldnt just fusion weld it? Not enough meat in the corner joint ?
Old 03-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #39 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
awesome work on dialing in the tig welds....any reason you couldnt just fusion weld it? Not enough meat in the corner joint ?
Well as good as that looks, and good penetration on the inside, especially for 120 material....I don't want to have an RCI type fuel cell failure on a high end rig such as this. So I'm gonna throw 1-2 lbs of filler at this bad boy!

Thanks brother!

Last buggy Build thread;

Last edited by mcutler1; 03-11-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #40 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
The added silicone in your filler rod is not prone to cracking, whereas the natural aluminum IS extremely prone to cracking when it melts and freezes back up, so it's important to add a lot of filler when welding aluminum. No filler = cracks. That's how I understand it anyway...

Special Thanks to:
, West Kern Environmental Consulting,
desertPOS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #41 (permalink)
Lux

Member # 793921
Damn that is a nice shop. Love that you're willing to show what you're learning and not just posting completed pics.

What software is that in your earlier post? Bendtech? If so how do you like it compared to Solid Works/Fusion 360?

Last edited by Lux; 03-11-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #42 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Damn that is a nice shop. Love that you're willing to show what you're learning and not just posting completed pics.

What software is that in your earlier post? Bendtech? If so how do you like it compared to Solid Works/Fusion 360?
Thanks!

Yes, pro version with sheet metal packet. I like it for 3d tube drafting. As I'm just learning, and self teaching myself 3d cad... and 2d for that matter, I'm not a fan of the sheet packet yet. Or any 3d system I've ran trials with. I'm using viacad 2d for the plasma, and I really like its platform. It's intuitive for my brain process.

So far I've ran trials in 3d in fusion, viacad 3d, designspark mechanical, autocad. Haven't devoted much time to it as of yet... it's quite time consuming, and I have too much to do right now to sit it the desk.

Last buggy Build thread;

Old 03-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #43 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Putting down some drops of alloy love on the Winget buggy fuel cell. Bottom sump, rearward facing, baffled, return and rollover valve top center. Neck goes on tomorrow.

Just a tick over 12 gallons.

CutlerFab

Last buggy Build thread;

Old 03-18-2019, 08:25 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 181868
I've been doing some experiments in aluminum welding recently too. The outcome, your poor welds look better than my good welds. Ha-ha

I recently did some aluminum "stick welding". Have you tried that yet?

In any case, I have determined I can weld 1/8" with reasonable success for structure, not so much for cosmetic. But I currently need to weld a fair amount of .065" and I have decided to hire out. If you were closer, I'd be knocking on your door. I found a aviation welder that is great, but he is particularly busy right now. So I'm working around it right now.

Anyways, love watching your work. Thankyou for sharing.

waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #45 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
I've been doing some experiments in aluminum welding recently too. The outcome, your poor welds look better than my good welds. Ha-ha

I recently did some aluminum "stick welding". Have you tried that yet?

In any case, I have determined I can weld 1/8" with reasonable success for structure, not so much for cosmetic. But I currently need to weld a fair amount of .065" and I have decided to hire out. If you were closer, I'd be knocking on your door. I found a aviation welder that is great, but he is particularly busy right now. So I'm working around it right now.

Anyways, love watching your work. Thankyou for sharing.
I have not stick welded anything in 20+years. I have seen that done by a real welder... and it looked better than most spool gun beads!

65 is tougher for sure. Gets soaked fast. Gotta throw the heat fast then start trucking.

Thanks waterhorse!

Last buggy Build thread;

Old 03-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #46 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Fuel cell is complete for the #wingnutbuggy, aside from mounting. Kept the filler low and off to the side to save room for a basket/ rack of some sort, (that I'm still designing in my brain). 25x12 area above the cell.

CutlerFab

Last buggy Build thread;

Old 03-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #47 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 126355
Killer work. Thank you for sharing the tech on the tig; I hope to get to being proficient with it like you some day.

Bent Fabrications Evo 2 Coupe
IG: @RxOffroad
scottapher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #48 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottapher View Post
Killer work. Thank you for sharing the tech on the tig; I hope to get to being proficient with it like you some day.
Thanks, but I don't consider myself proficient yet. Honestly, until I got on Instagram, I thought I was good at a lot of things...

I still call and message people whose quality I try to achieve, for advice. The welding and fabricating community on Instagram is tremendous. And always open to share or help. That was the great thing about going to Fabtech last fall, being and talking shop with like minded folks.

Best advice I can give to get better at tig... put your hood down and screw up a bunch. Call me if I can help.

Last buggy Build thread;

Old 03-19-2019, 10:13 PM   #49 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 236179
The one thing I always hated about working with/welding on aluminum was the simple fact of not being able to tell if it was hot. Get stainless hot, you can tell, get mild steel hot, you can tell. Get alum hot, and I'll slap my hand on it every time.

Your welds are looking fantactic.

Are you buying acetone by the 55gal drum yet
Old 03-20-2019, 03:31 AM   #50 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 167368
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
The one thing I always hated about working with/welding on aluminum was the simple fact of not being able to tell if it was hot. Get stainless hot, you can tell, get mild steel hot, you can tell. Get alum hot, and I'll slap my hand on it every time.

Your welds are looking fantactic.

Are you buying acetone by the 55gal drum yet
That can be an issue, lol. But frankly, at 1/8th, it welds so much better when it's good and hot; 063, not so much.

Not by the drum yet, but I did finally just get a couple vented, labeled, chemist squirt bottles...I don't use nearly as much as I did by just splashing it on a rag from a gallon can.

Last buggy Build thread;

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in